Any opinions on Blue Marble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all
I have a 75Hp Mercury outboard that I've switched over this season from Itasca to Blue Marble two stroke oil. This is a 5 year old motor with about 140 hours on it. The engine seems to like this oil, its running smoother, and its smoking less.
Has anyone here heard anything good, bad or otherwise about it?
Blue Marble is is a product of MDE chemical, heres the link: Blue Marble

Bill A,
First of all Welcome to the forum.

In 98 & 99 this oil was touted as the best thing to hit the market. Bass & Walleye boats, which I am a Subscriber ran a small blurb on this oil as did BASSMASTERS. B&W was to do a test on this oil and never ran another word about it. I have never seen B&W say one thing bad about a product, so if they don't like it, they just don't publish anything. Advertising dollars rule in boating magazines. One of the problems with this oil was separating from the additives. Figuring out how to mix baby oil with additives became a problem to them.
Blue Marble is blended from aromatic free, highly refined food grade white baby oil, with an ashless anti-wear formula.
Blue Marble has disappeared almost as fast as it tried to come on the boating scene. Also the first batches had the additives fall out of suspension, and later blending helped some.
I bought a case of this in 1999, and for the first few tankfuls of fuel, it ran great. On the second gallon I developed a very audible knock. When I took it back to the Dealer, he told me to change the oil, which I did and all is well now. You can still purchase this stuff, but not for my money, in fact I think it is left over stock from a warehouse in Oklahoma. These are only my own opinions, and I am happy that you have had better success with this product than I experienced. At $119 for 4 gallons plus shipping, I think you can use any name brand cheaper and have a better oil.
Also it is NOT TCW-III certified. No baby oil is that I know of.

[ October 18, 2002, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

FWIW many guys had problems with BM when used in snowmobiles. There website also makes some claims that are best put in the BS file. BM is pretty suspect in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back