Any Oil Filter that will fit my OEM Honda Wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I recently discovered that my dealer changed the size of Honda Filter that they stock, it used to be the larger Filtech USA made, then the larger Fram Canada made, then now the whimpy Honeywell (Fram) made. I stayed with Honda OEM but I heard they also shrink the media size as well, which **** me off
mad.gif
because

1) I do extended drain with my 100 highway mile (80% 85mph and 20% city) everyday as well as a 700 mile roadtrip with constant 90mph to 100mph for hours (I5 between San Francisco and LA, drive like a Californian baby).

2) My Integra has the filter between the engine and firewall, and I hate to change filter.

However, I really want to keep using my trusty Victor Oil Filter Cap Wrench because that is the only thing that fit between the space with my arm squeezing between all the hoses and the intake manifold. I took a look at the ST, STP, Bosch, M1, and they are all different size.

I can order the Honda S2000 filter but wasn't sure if it is the same size as the older Honda OEM size. Even better, are there any SuperTech filter with the same size for cap wrench?

I think you're taking a "backwards" approach to this.
Find a good quality filter and adapt to it!

Do you have a set of ramps? They make it quite easy to R&R a filter from underneath the car without a wrench. It also gives you a chance to do a visual inspection of other componants while underneath the car.

I'm with you Pbear. I have a factory filter wrench I got when I was a motorcycle mech. It cost an arm and a leg but is a TOOL so I spent the money. I'm sure Honda will come out with a new tool but it will cost the "other" arm and leg. It is amazing how easy a job can be with the right tool.
crushedcar.gif

Really a tool should not be required if you tighten the filter properly. If you've accidently overtightened it, a screwdriver always works.
grin.gif

-T

I have usually used my trusty 16'' Channellocks, but they won't work unless you have some room to one side. Even a screwdriver might not where it is tight. It shouldn't take much, but not everybody is going to be able to remove a filter by hand in some places. Surely you should be able to find one of the low cost filter sockets to fit. I had one that fit the PF 47/52 I used on my Grand Am. It worked fine. Not much lose since I traded the car off and don't need it any more.

I can turn filters the 2/3 to a full turn specified by hand, but don't even try to take them off without a tool.

[ April 06, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: labman ]

quote:

ST, STP, Bosch, M1, and they are all different size

It may seem like you tried four different filter mfgs, but it is really one. Champion Labs makes all four of those filters.

You could try the Wix 51334 which is a common Honda filter size. I don't know if it matches the original Honda diameter or not.

John

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
[QBI can turn filters the 2/3 to a full turn specified by hand, but don't even try to take them off without a tool. [/QB]

This is about how it generally works for me, too. My Purolators call for 3/4 turn past gasket contact, which is about as tight as I can go by hand given the leverage constraints imposed by the filter's location.

I frequently read posts on this board by people claiming (with a hint of pride, it seems) that they never need to use a wrench to remove their filters.

What I don't understand is why this is such a great thing. I'll admit that I've never tried removing a filter without a wrench, so perhaps I could on my vehicles were I to take a mind to. But when I read such comments and reconcile them with what I see on my own cars, I can't help but think, "Why are you so happy that you undertighten your filters?"

So, to those in the no-wrench-should-be-needed camp, I ask: Do you tighten the filter to the specification given? If not, may I ask why not? If you do, then my concerns are clearly unwarranted & I'll re-think this.

I use the smaller Honda filters too. I went to my local Kragen and picked up a filter wrench that fits on my ratchet for $4, fits the filter perfectly. It works great and keeps my hands from being burnt on the exhaust manifold.

quote:

Originally posted by brad_d:
Originally posted by labman:
[QBSo, to those in the no-wrench-should-be-needed camp, I ask: Do you tighten the filter to the specification given? If not, may I ask why not? If you do, then my concerns are clearly unwarranted & I'll re-think this.
I tighten the filter to spec. I also have superman grip.

On my 300zx I have to use a filter wench to both put it on and take it off, though. I can't even really get my hands down there. Every other car that I service I just make sure there is no kryptonite around.

Yes, I tighten the filter up with my bare hand, but removing it definitly will need a wrench, at least from the top instead of clawing under.

I guess I am torn between buying the S2000 filter or going to the ST route and change more frequently. I am a big fan of bigger media means better long drain capabililty, and to me changing the filter more frequently is not really a good idea: oil will spill all over the place so might as well change the oil.

If anyone can confirm the S2000 oil filter are the same physical size as the old Honda OEM, I am probably going to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back