Any Honda Techs Around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 08 Civic with auto trans. I am having an issue with real jerky operation in highway traffic between 15 and 20 mph in traffic. Also a hesitation when having to yield I would say at about 15 mph. Its like its not realizing the thing is in the wrong gear and needs to down shift. It does not seem to have the same issues after the battery has been disconnected for a period. It seems to learning this bad behaivior.

I had it in the shop once already and was told they couldnt find anything wrong with it and there were no codes in the computer. I am planning to bring it back again. Wanted to try to see if there are any known issues before I bring it back in.

Any help is appreciated.

Ken

I have an 08 CR-V. Honda auto transmissions aren't known for their smooth shifting. My CR-V does the same thing as you describe.

Thanks for the reply Jeepster. I hope this isnt "normal" it would be a real dispaontment.

Audi Junkie, what is the TCU? If thats the computer its been reset by disconnecting the battery. It seems to start showing the same syptoms after about a week or so I would say.

Thanks
Ken

Unfortunately Honda does have a flaw, and it is the transmissions that are weak. I was lucky enough to have a Japanese built Civic and CRV. Not saying they are bad at all. My 93 Civic 4 door had 490000km until it rusted to death, Only new brakes and exhaust fixes needed.

Anyone aware of any TSB or other info I can aproach the dealer with? I am trying to prevent the standard reply of not able to duplicate. If they cant fix it then I am going to look into selling it. I hate driving this car, its unfortunate because I really liked the Prelude this replaced.

with the exception of the si and hybrid the new cilics are very problematic, i am a honda tech and haven't really seen the problem you are describing but i can tell you the new civics have a lot of problems, at 75k we see a lot of cracked blocks, struts leak on these all the time, about a third of them that i see have bad oil leaks from the timing cover, they have pwr steering leaks from a bad return line,steering racks that leak, suspension issues in general,they tend to rattle and have noise complaints, the a/c compressors go out in them all the time so i'd say if your not happy with it sell it while it's still worth a decent price and before it cost's you money. we even had a tech come over from a chevy dealership and he is say the new civics are more troublesome than anything he worked on at chevy, while he claims some of the chevys had issues they were almost always the same issue where as the new civic seem like it can have a problem with anything, no system is "bulletproof" on these cars.

You won't read that in any consumer reports or auto magazine. That comes from hands on experience and knowledge. That is pretty much true about Chevys. They don't usually have a lot of problems but tend to have a lot of the same problems.

Originally Posted By: skinnyd

I have an 08 Civic with auto trans. I am having an issue with real jerky operation in highway traffic between 15 and 20 mph in traffic. Also a hesitation when having to yield I would say at about 15 mph. Its like its not realizing the thing is in the wrong gear and needs to down shift. It does not seem to have the same issues after the battery has been disconnected for a period. It seems to learning this bad behaivior.

I had it in the shop once already and was told they couldnt find anything wrong with it and there were no codes in the computer. I am planning to bring it back again. Wanted to try to see if there are any known issues before I bring it back in.

Any help is appreciated.

Ken

Try to get the dealer's mechanic or service adviser sit in the passenger seat while you duplicate the jerking problem. That way they can feel your pain.

Dealers and internet may provide you with a way to get it reflashed. There may be a service bulletin [not a recall]. This is applied only upon complaint.

I rented a 2010 Accord LX sedan (auto trans) and I must say that I was VERY impressed. Engine had lots of pep and the trans shifted sooooooo smooth. For a little more money, its a better deal than a Civic sedan.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I rented a 2010 Accord LX sedan (auto trans) and I must say that I was VERY impressed. Engine had lots of pep and the trans shifted sooooooo smooth. For a little more money, its a better deal than a Civic sedan.

the new accord is pretty nice, they have steering rack probs and rear brake issues, the rea brakes are to small so they go through pads in about 18k. but aside from that they are pretty trouble free.

Friend's 2010 Fit with 36k would jerk during low-speed driving and occasionally slam into gear.

I had the car at the dealer for a PGM-FI software update (per TSB) to address an inaccuracy of the onboard fuel economy display. After the software update, a majority of the erratic shifting and jerky behavior was gone.

If you have more than 15k, then changing the fluid will also help tremendously. I did one drain and refill at 36k on the Fit and now the shifting is perfect.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Friend's 2010 Fit with 36k would jerk during low-speed driving and occasionally slam into gear.

I had the car at the dealer for a PGM-FI software update (per TSB) to address an inaccuracy of the onboard fuel economy display. After the software update, a majority of the erratic shifting and jerky behavior was gone.

If you have more than 15k, then changing the fluid will also help tremendously. I did one drain and refill at 36k on the Fit and now the shifting is perfect.

100% agree.i'm not sure if i mentioned it in this thread but hondas really do need the trans fluid changed regularly and often, they have no filter (though some are starting to come with an inline filter) and they only hold 6 qrts including the torque converter. since they are high strung and people tend to drive them a little on the hard side the fluid does'nt hold up well.

Last edited:
So mopar_monkey, can a PGM-FI reflash/update have an effect on transmission shift quality or shift points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back