any advantage using a filter without and ADBV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Dodge Ram 4.7 219,000 miles and counting. Currently running the FL1A (oversized for this truck). The filter is at about a 45 degree angle hanging off the block. I'm wondering since the filter will hold oil when I shut the truck off, is there really any reason for an ADBV in this application? Is there even an oil filter made without an ADBV? Would there be any benefit in running a filter like this?

They should be cheaper if they don't have them in an upside down application, for example.

Are they? No.

Better for the filter manufacturer? Yes.

No, only advantages. Some filters are made without an ADBV but they are mainly GM apps. I would not go to the trouble of trying to find a filter without an ADBV there will be no cost difference nor advantage to using one. IMO.

Other than 'maybe' cost, none that I'm aware of. If the oem filter application spec's an adbv, thats's what should be used.

Yes, there are some filters without an adbv but they are in the minority.

The ADBV should still be holding some oil in the upper part of the engine, preventing complete drain down. No reason not to use a filter that has one unless your vehicle is designed for it.

"The filter is at about a 45 degree angle hanging off the block."

If the filter was hanging in a true pendant position, one might say that an ADBV is unnecessary. But yours is technically tilted, and not in a pendant position. So an ADBV could still serve its purpose.

Originally Posted By: TC
"The filter is at about a 45 degree angle hanging off the block."

If the filter was hanging in a true pendant position, one might say that an ADBV is unnecessary. But yours is technically tilted, and not in a pendant position. So an ADBV could still serve its purpose.

The angle of the filter is not the only thing that determines the need for an anti drainback valve. Any oil in the passages above the filter will run down to the level of the filter if a filter without an adbv is used, no matter what angle the filter is at.

No advantage to using a filter without an adbv, but possible disadvantages...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back