Antifreeze concentrate not strong enough

Wonder how much damage the old Dakota got this morning. Typically I don't drive this truck in snow/ice or even cold but I was going to take the Focus and it was dead, to late to get the bike ready. Since I was paying more attention to the road than the dash not sure how long it was up there, I'd say 3-4 miles. When I redid the cooling system in the fall it was good for at least -10 to -15 but I'm guessing that wasn't correct. There was some coolant on the sprayed in the engine bay and it did have some heat. Thinking if I can nurse it home.. supposed to get up to 16.. I'll put a Mr Buddy heater or a electric on in the engine bay and warm things up and attempt to drain the radiator. Refill with full concentrate. If anything might blow up and be a null point LOL. Not seeing any coolant under yet so assuming freeze plugs ok. Sound like a good game plan?

If the Dakota was wrong the Festiva, RV and Focus might be to.. sounds like in the spring will be a bit expensive!

truck.jpg

FROM GOOGLE:

Q:
How cold is straight antifreeze good for?
A: First, despite the name, 100% antifreeze will actually freeze before coolant at temperatures between 0 and -5 degrees Fahrenheit. Coolant with a 50/50 mixture has a freezing point of -35 degrees Fahrenheit. Further, a 70/30 mixture of antifreeze and water drops the freezing point lower to -84 degrees Fahrenheit.

Q: Is straight antifreeze better than 50-50?
A: Using straight antifreeze won't provide more protection against freezing. The freezing point of antifreeze alone is zero, but a 50-50 mix with water lowers the freezing point to minus 35 and raises the boiling point to 223 or higher.

Q: Can I run straight antifreeze?
A: Putting straight anti-freeze in your car is a no-no. Running 100% anti-freeze can actually be just as bad as running pure water! It's actually a proper mixture of water and the glycol-based anti-freeze that will give you the most protection from not only the cold, but the heat of the summer as well.

Last edited:
I'm having difficulty following your narrative.

You "redid" the cooling system and now you have a leak "somewhere?" Is that what you are saying?

If you were not in the red at all, your engine is probably fine.

Q: Is straight antifreeze better than 50-50?
A: Using straight antifreeze won't provide more protection against freezing. The freezing point of antifreeze alone is zero, but a 50-50 mix with water lowers the freezing point to minus 35 and raises the boiling point to 223 or higher.
Not to mention the heat transfer is degraded.

I'm having difficulty following your narrative.

You "redid" the cooling system and now you have a leak "somewhere?" Is that what you are saying?

If you were not in the red at all, your engine is probably fine.
I think he means that the anti-freeze froze causing the engine to overheat and spray anti-freeze about the engine compartment.

About 65% anti-freeze to 35% water gives the lowest freezing point.

This is a common situation and usually no damage is done. The coolant freezes in the radiator, then since there is no circulation the engine overheats and system over-pressure results from boiling inside the engine. If coolant was blowing out make sure it was just from the cap and not from a blown hose or something. As a glycol mixture starts to freeze it turns to "slush" rather than hard ice that causes physical bursting.

Yes you really need to test and see what concentration you have. 50% is fine for anywhere that is not extreme arctic. Remember it is the real temperature that causes coolant to freeze, not the wind chill.

Maybe I was asleep when I posted.. In the fall I went through and put CLR'd the heater core and flushed the engine with additives.. let's just say it got flushed good. Solved the overheating in the summer issue.

Just went down and took a look. The antifreeze looked as it should, didn't see any ice. Started it up and ran it to operating temps and seems ok now. Lower radiator hose was warm and seems to be circulating. But maybe the drive this morning defrosted it. Only overheated on the highway. My thought was to put at least 1/2 gallon of pure, I don't see 100% ever be possible unless it's a brand new block etc.

That's why I test mine with two types of gauges. One with a floating ball, and another with a gauge with a pointer on it.

I used to have both but those things tend to break easy. Going to stop by and gauge/pointer on the way home.

100% ethylene glycol has a freezing point of +9 F

And like has already been said, it's actually worse for heat transfer, too.

Don't use more than 70% coolant. 50/50 is right for most people.

Got another Prestone needle style, between 0 and 10 so that answers that. Drained the radiator and put 3/4 a gallon of pure in. The whole system is 3.5 gallons. Probably need to check it one more time and do half gallon. And I must be allergic to coolant now, hands sure turn red and swell up.

Back