Another PureOne Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Failure is not a option.http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/news/Pages/OilFiltersWhyFailureIsNotAnOption.aspx

With all due respect, I'm looking at the pic of the tear earlier in this thread, and I don't see any oil on the media tear. I mean while in use with a tear there would be oil surging through the tear. So you would think the tear would look just as dark oil soaked as the rest of the media. Why does it look different? The tear appears fresh, like maybe it happened accidentally during the cut open? Or maybe that's how the media looks when it is torn. Just my observation. I'm hoping the P1 is still a good filter.

Last edited:
Fastmover, I think what is being noticed as when the media is torn, it is thinner (frayed) and there is less oil (because less media can't hold as much oil) and media material to block the light so it looks lighter. In addition, if the filter media is working properly, then surface should be dirtier/darker than the media's interior. Once that rupture happens, then there is no/less oil being pulled through the filter.

Finally, if it was being torned by being pulled out, it would happen away or opposite) from the seam (structural strong-point). It would not rip beside the seam as that would have the lest travel distance of any of the pleats. Thus, the "lack" of flexibility and fluid pressure make it the more likely fail-point for that rather than a failure point from removing the filter media.

Here was my filter.

aIMG_20140219_224808_907_zps81dbcd76.jpg

Bottom
aIMG_20140219_224856_967_zpsd0c56f29.jpg

If it was a removal issue (and I was very careful as I was looking to see if there was a failure and wanted to minimize a false positive, then the media would not have given at the top and bottom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fastmover
With all due respect, I'm looking at the pic of the tear earlier in this thread, and I don't see any oil on the media tear. I mean while in use with a tear there would be oil surging through the tear. So you would think the tear would look just as dark oil soaked as the rest of the media. Why does it look different? The tear appears fresh, like maybe it happened accidentally during the cut open? Or maybe that's how the media looks when it is torn. Just my observation. I'm hoping the P1 is still a good filter.

These tears are real ... not something that happens when the filter is being cut open.

I do still have a lot of purolators and I'm not worried but I've always liked Napa Gold filters better. That's what I'll go to after my stock is depleted.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I do still have a lot of purolators and I'm not worried but I've always liked Napa Gold filters better. That's what I'll go to after my stock is depleted.
I stocked up on the Napa Gold's for $3.69 last month when they had the big filter sale.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Here was my filter.

Bottom
aIMG_20140219_224856_967_zpsd0c56f29.jpg

If it was a removal issue (and I was very careful as I was looking to see if there was a failure and wanted to minimize a false positive, then the media would not have given at the top and bottom.

Got it. That's definitly a failure.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Fastmover

These tears are real ... not something that happens when the filter is being cut open.

Unfortunate. I had such blind faith. I'll probably move on to the Fram Tough Guard or Ultra. I also trust the Napa Gold as they are made by Wix.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I will go to Pep Boys this weekend to exchange the 2 Purolator Classic I have for Fram Tough Guard.

You'd be exchanging one junk filter for another.

bosch premium filters are supposedly a p1 clone, but considering they are not made my purolator/mann, would they be susceptible to the same failures?

I buy the bosch premium in bulk..getting worried.

Originally Posted By: lockguy
bosch premium filters are supposedly a p1 clone, but considering they are not made my purolator/mann, would they be susceptible to the same failures?

I buy the bosch premium in bulk..getting worried.

Haven't seen any reported media tears in the Bosch filters.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I will go to Pep Boys this weekend to exchange the 2 Purolator Classic I have for Fram Tough Guard.

You'd be exchanging one junk filter for another.

Too funny!!!!

Originally Posted By: lockguy

Sure they are, at least for North American/Japanese applications. The European ones are much different.

Have the Purolator Synthetic filters experienced any of these problems? I'm guessing not due to being wire-backed?

What's the general opinion on these?

Lol. You're on a roll, Sam! Or should I say, a real tear! Rippin Purolator a bunch of new ones!

Maybe time for some? :

baby_care_shampoo.jpg

lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back