Another Napa Silver - #31036 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the second Napa Silver from my ongoing experimentation to come off one of my vehicles. Another $2.54 bargain. This is a PF52 equivalent #31036 that was run on our old Chevy Lumina 3.1 for 3-4k miles, primarily with Rotella 10w30 although there was some various top offs thrown in.

Being a GM application this filter has no bypass. I thought this would be a boring dissection but it turned out to be interesting anyway. (What a nerd I've become ha ha!)

Here it is just after cutting. The can got scuffed pretty bad I didn't have my normal hacksaw blade it was slow going. This is the second Silver I've cut recently and this one was also under more compression that leaf spring filters I've opened. After cutting the plate wanted to sit about 3/8" above flush. Good Wix coil spring at work!

Here is the base plate, typical Wix again, I like the larger inlet holes they tend to use but it probably doesn't make any difference.

Here is a shot of the ADBV (nitrile) assembly. This caught me by surprise. It sits on a small metal piece that fits into the center tube. The piece is a dead ringer size wise for Wix's thread end bypass arrangement, however this one does nothing other than give the ADBV a place to sit securely. My guess would be Wix uses this arrangement so they can use this same media cartridge on different filters that take a thread end bypass (such as the #31516) or their combo valve. Clever way to save a few pennies.

Another look at it:

And another one, here it is top end up as it would sit against the base plate, the bottom into the center tube. You can see a lot of grit, I don't know if its from the cutting or the engine, the engine is NOT clean it suffered coolant contamination badly in it's past so who knows.

Here's a first look at the media cartridge, it has lots of pleats (51) and they were evenly spaced. The media measured at 3 3/4" inches. A comparable Fram with a leaf spring would measure 4".

The seam side. This can get a little ugly on Frams and Purolators, but not here! The seam was very strongly glued again.

Bottom of the media cartridge and spring. Both the bottom of the can and media endcap are shaped to encourage the spring to sit in the proper place, then the whole thing is under good compression as well.

Inside of base plate.

All laid out.

The more I use these Silvers the more I like them. I am big on value and the quality of build for the price is simply amazing to me. For those of you interested in a low cost alternative to Puro Classics, I'd suggest you give these bargains from Wix a look.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Any Oil Filter cut open interests me. I must lead a boring life or this winter has gotten to me. lol!!!

That filter looks great! You can't beat that for $2.54! I'm excited to cut open my Napa Silver in a few thousand miles. I'm thinking these will be my go-to filter now.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for cutting it open!

Originally Posted By: Donald
When you peel open a few pleats do you see any grit? I think its your hacksaw blade.

A true BIOTG member would have a $60 filter cutter.

I did not see any significant grit, there was some junk though notably a chunk of "fluff" who knows how that got in there but the filter took care of it.

And I fixed this for you!
laugh.gif

A truly cheap BIOTG member like KCJeep would have no need for a $60 filter cutter.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
That filter looks great! You can't beat that for $2.54! I'm excited to cut open my Napa Silver in a few thousand miles. I'm thinking these will be my go-to filter now.
thumbsup2.gif

I am thinking the same thing. Once my stash is gone these are what I'll be buying for normal length OCI's. I've not seen them on sale for $2.54 since I bought these, but they run them for 3 bucks constantly. Still a great deal IMO.

At what filter in the NAPA lineup do they go to a silicone ADBV?

Like jeepman3071 said you have to jump to a Napa Gold for that. You get the silicone ADBV, better blended higher efficiency media and a thread end bypass... but the cost is double that of a Silver. Generally 6-7 bucks.
frown.gif

Thanks to OP for posting the pics with a detailed write-up. I may start using the Silver as well. I put one on my mother in law's Crown Vic the other day and I liked the filter design and thickness of the can. It seemed to be very well constructed and good quality. It was the first Silver I had ever seen in person. I know they get good reviews here and Purolator seems to be going the other way now. Now that I have AAA I can get a Silver for $2.70 here.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
thumbsup2.gif

I am thinking the same thing. Once my stash is gone these are what I'll be buying for normal length OCI's. I've not seen them on sale for $2.54 since I bought these, but they run them for 3 bucks constantly. Still a great deal IMO.

They are definitely a great buy at $3. They are cheaper than a Purolator Classic, and in my opinion a much better filter.

As noted, a non-combo valve, non-filter bypass application. The metal thread spacer with adbv has been posted with prior similar Wix/Napa Gold GM application dissections. The conclusion that it is used so that Wix can use the same element for different applications, including traditional separate thread end bypass and the combo valve applications is accurate. It's also why I suspect that their combo valve design has grommet like appearance as opposed to the flat combo valve design used on the ecore.

As for the use of a coil retainer spring, for Wix filters, in addition to holding the element in place and adbv against the base plate like most filters, it must also hold and seal either the traditional metal bypass, combo valve(Napa Silver/PS), or in this case the spacer, firmly against the metal end cap. I suspect that's one reason why Wix chooses to use a coil spring.

The Silver looks good at 3-4k mi. oci and I'd have no issue using it in this non-combo valve application. Have decent stash of the Gold myself that I purchased at local Napa's 40% off semi annual sale for ~$3.50. Also a bargain.

As for the appearance of the grit, hope that's mostly from the hacksaw filings and not the engine itself. If not... Wondering if the coolant intrusion is from the common GM manifold gaskets, and if it's been repaired.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Here's a first look at the media cartridge, it has lots of pleats (51) and they were evenly spaced. The media measured at 3 3/4" inches. A comparable Fram with a leaf spring would measure 4".

Great write up along with great pics!
thumbsup2.gif

But, did you HAVE to mention the "F" word?
28.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The conclusion that it is used so that Wix can use the same element for different applications, including traditional separate thread end bypass and the combo valve applications is accurate. It's also why I suspect that their combo valve design has grommet like appearance as opposed to the flat combo valve design used on the ecore.

As for the use of a coil retainer spring, for Wix filters, in addition to holding the element in place and adbv against the base plate like most filters, it must also hold and seal either the traditional metal bypass, combo valve(Napa Silver/PS), or in this case the spacer, firmly against the metal end cap. I suspect that's one reason why Wix chooses to use a coil spring.

100% agreed. See, there is a Silver we can agree on lol.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As for the appearance of the grit, hope that's mostly from the hacksaw filings and not the engine itself. If not... Wondering if the coolant intrusion is from the common GM manifold gaskets, and if it's been repaired.

Thanks for the pics.

I think it's hacksaw grit BUT this engine suffered coolant contamination (both intake manifold and head gaskets) for years before I caught on. The inside of the engine is still not pretty to this day as a result, although it has no current issues I'm aware of. Still runs like a top too, although it's a bad cold start up "piston slapper" like they all seem to be.

There was some junk in the filter but nothing alarming, so it's not likely sludged anyway but it ain't pretty through the fill hole that's for sure.

I had no idea those filters were so reasonable priced, I went to the napa site and looked and All i can find are golds and the pro selects which aren't priced bad either.

Might pick up a few pro selects and compare them to the microgards i bought at oreillys

edit, after searching around the site a bit i ended up finding them.

anyone know what the major differences between a silver and a pro select filter?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder

anyone know what the major differences between a silver and a pro select filter?

Not a lot. The Silver allegedly has a little more media (from what I've seen 3 or 4 pleats worth) and a better looking paint job. Other than that I doubt there are any differences. The ProSelect is intended to be a jobber filter whereas the Silver is aimed at DIY types and run frequently on Napa's OCI specials.

The Silver tends to go on sale frequently, the Pro Select is priced fairly low but rarely if ever seems to go on sale around here. Often the Silvers are on sale for less than the Pro Select, go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back