Another Ft. Hood shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been another shooting at Ft. Hood in Texas. They are reporting four dead (including the shooter) and several injured.

All of these shootings are "ammunition" (pardon the pun) for the government to use in its fight against the second ammendment because people with guns are obviously loco. I get so sick of hearing these things because not only do people die, I can't help feelin there is some agenda here.

P.s. - mods, I don't want a political debate - just sharing my thoughts here

Last edited:
Pray for the families and our country. It is just plain stupid that our soldiers cannot carry a sidearm while on base, yet I can just a mile away when I go to the grocery store.

Good thing there's a gun ban on Base. That guarantees that this sort of thing can't happen. Oh, wait...

Say what you want about mental illness, people going postal, and the second amendment but at the end of the day our current plan for gun control is not working. Your average person does not need a gun.

I have two Mastiffs, they more fun than a gun anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
When will people realize our current plan for gun control is not working. Your average person does not need a gun. I have two Mastiffs, more fun than a gun anyway.

Based on theater shootings, school shootings , military base shootings, I think the average person definitely needs a firearm.

I prefer to have the option to protect my gift of life rather than leave that decision to some nut bent on destruction.
Who should tell me i have to just give up my gift of life rather than fight for the right to breathe.

I like dogs, Mastiffs, I have a German Shepard. He just does not fit in my pocket!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
When will people realize our current plan for gun control is not working. Your average person does not need a gun. I have two Mastiffs, more fun than a gun anyway.

I prefer to have the option to protect my gift of life rather than leave that decision to some nut bent on destruction.

I'm with spasm3 on this....

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. We have heard this many times and it is still true.

We can look at many things that law abiding citizens do every day that can be used to kill others. The automobile has been used how many times to kill others but we don't hear people saying that we should ban them or limit others the right to own them.

I don't want this locked so I will try to be as general as possible with my comments.

We can look at many areas around the world where a certain right isn't allowed or is severely restricted. In these areas, those in power have basically, ultimate power. There is little if anything that the normal citizen can do because they are not allowed certain protections.

We have seen mass murder, genocide and other terrible things that one must wonder if they could have happened if the people had a right to actually protect themselves and those they care about.

Some will most likely say that citizens owning guns will make little if any difference in a battle with the government but our very countries freedom was very much decided by citizens owning guns. If the settlers of our nation had not owned guns, it is quite likely we would still be part of England.

Look at some of the most repressive areas of the world, do the citizens own guns? Few if any do.

Current set of facts:
-- Four people have died -- including the suspected shooter -- as a result of Wednesday's shooting at Fort Hood, said the Army post's commander, Lt. Gen. Mark A. Milley. He said 16 people were wounded at the installation in central Texas.

-- There is no known motive. "There is no indication that this incident is related to terrorism although we are not ruling anything out," Milley said.

-- The suspected shooter "had behavioral health and mental health" issues, according to Milley.

-- An Army soldier "fired shots at individuals within the unit areas here" at Fort Hood and "the post immediately went into lockdown," Milley said.

-- The suspect was engaged by military police before he fatally shot himself in the head.

This shooter had served four months in a combat area. He was undergoing mental health evaluation and was on medication. Maybe if somebody is undergoing mental health treatment and receiving medication there should be a list of people who need to have their vehicles searched when they come on base. Obviously medical information is confidential but without going into medical details there could maybe still be a list of people whose vehicles will be searched. Just a thought. And I don't know how legal that would be or anything like that. But a military base is federal property.

This shooter had also been transferred from another military base in Texas to Ft. Hood. If somebody is having mental health issues maybe they should not be transferred to another base, especially if that might add to the stress because of potential family problems and cause somebody to go over the edge.

I like the idea of soldiers being assigned for carrying a weapon on a regular basis. A certain number of soldiers who have weapons training being issued a sidearm on a rotating basis. I don't like the idea of everybody carrying concealed on a military base. If you had a rotating group of soldiers in key areas being issues sidearms it might put a stop to some of this. With all of the people coming into this base every day, civilians and military, there is no way to totally prevent a weapon from being brought onto the base.

Guns in the right hands deter attacks. There are plenty of studies that indicate that most criminals will think twice before they try to break into a house where there might be firearms. Well, somebody like this shooter may have been deterred if he saw some armed soldiers in each key area of the base.

Based on theater shootings, school shootings , military base shootings, I think the average person definitely needs a firearm.

Who should tell me i have to just give up my gift of life rather than fight for the right to breathe.

I like dogs, Mastiffs, I have a German Shepard. He just does not fit in my pocket!
grin2.gif

+1. Even though a good dog is nice, it can't attack at 1200 fps.

Prayers sent. I'm with spasm3 as well. Dogs are great for protection, so are guns and you don't have to feed or train them.

Remember too with the "average person doesn't need a gun" mindset that criminals don't follow laws. They will always have guns compared to the law abiding citizen left helplessly with nothing. 1200 fps is also faster than any form of law enforcement.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
All of these shootings are "ammunition" (pardon the pun) for the government to use in its fight against the second ammendment because people with guns are obviously loco.

It (the government) may use this as more "evidence", but this should encourage law-abiding citizens to carry EVERYWHERE they can, and should encourage us to push our law-makers to loosen restrictions on where we can carry.

There's a trend in shooting incidents like this. They happen where nobody's allowed to have a gun. Military base, elementary school, university, etc. And law-abiding citizens won't carry their guns there. But criminals aren't law-abiding citizens. By definition, criminals don't follow the law. So where does that leave us? We have these "protected islands" where folks know that nobody's going to shoot back at them if they pop off a few rounds in a mad rage.

They don't try that mess at the grocery store. You don't see stories of "4 dead at the local Safeway". They know someone'll be ready to protect themselves. I will, if nobody else is.

As unfortunate as these incidents are, we should learn from them and allow American citizens to take measures to protect themselves where ever they are, and get rid of these silly islands of protection that we've created.

Say what you want about mental illness, people going postal, and the second amendment but at the end of the day our current plan for gun control is not working.

I couldn't agree with you more. Our current plan isn't working. Let's GET RID OF IT.

Your average person does not need a gun.

I draw the opposite conclusion. The average person should have what criminals have had, do have, and always will have. Criminals don't follow gun control laws; they simply don't work. Let's get rid of them.

The high irony of it all is that Smith and Wesson and Ruger and Winchester should be writing checks to current administration and members of Congress. The more "the government" tries to control who owns guns, the more guns are sold. It's a beautiful thing, really.

Say what you want about mental illness, people going postal, and the second amendment but at the end of the day our current plan for gun control is not working. Your average person does not need a gun.

I have two Mastiffs, they more fun than a gun anyway.

Interesting that as an "average" person, you feel that you need protection to sway whatever odds back in your favor against other "average" people.

Does the size of the dog reflect some sort of insecurity ?

Here, your dogs would be stolen and entered in (illegal) dog fights.

grin2.gif

A Mastiff (or any dog for that matter) would be no match for a person with a gun anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back