Electrical Connections

I don't see any traces on the topside of the board, so it looks like a singled sided board. Should be easy-peasy to pop that thing out. You'll want a solder sucker to do that. Medium tip? I usually use a small one to do most work, but here a bit larger than pencil would work better, more heat transfer.

You could do it with solder wick but eh, sucker is the way to go.

1705350521638.jpg

I do think the transformer is junk and assuming it's not $50 I would be swapping it out. Anyhow, I don't blame you if you want to source that out, I wouldn't say soldering is hard, but it is a skill to be learned, and if you're not going to use it again, well... I know friends will hit me up for soldering work. [Some day I might go get trained, we talk about it at work from time to time.]

Looks like the pins go through the board and are soldered at the back. I assume that's what you mean by a single sided board.
Yes, and it's way easier to rework. Easier to lift a pad too, as you lose the copper in the hole to hold it down, so there's that.

I honestly wouldn’t replace the transformer until confirmed short but would rather find out why it is working hard.

What does it power? Is something wrong downstream?

Need a current draw

I’m thinking the lousy connections led to all this

The 12v transformer is driving the switches and control circuit. Those switches are not designed for 120vac. Somewhere in there is a bridge diode circuit because I'm unaware of any IC's that run on ac current. And yes, transformers can get hot to the touch.
I figured the control circuit, and yes switches make sense. Yes the AC would need to be rectified.

Sounds like the cleaning is helping. I would get it a couple more cleaning cycles, blow it all out and call it good.

I figured the control circuit, and yes switches make sense. Yes the AC would need to be rectified.

Sounds like the cleaning is helping. I would get it a couple more cleaning cycles, blow it all out and call it good.
A lower voltage for the switches and control circuit makes sense to me too.

I'm planning to take the motor/fan units out and give everything a good cleaning. Considering how hard they are to take out, I'm sure it's never been done and this unit could be 20 years old.

The warm/hot transformer gives me pause for thought too. I'd be happier if I could find a replacement for this one. We'll see if I can turn up a supplier who will sell one at a reasonable price. One supplier offers them with a minimum order of 10. And I found one in Europe that would have cost something like $125 with shipping. I'm looking for something more like $10-15 plus shipping.

And thank you @ka9mnx for your comments.

Back