Another American business sold to the Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
Apparently they are keep the GE name on the appliances. Also, they are keeping the current plant open as well.

I've gathered that will only be on higher end models (Heard they might take a more "jetson's" marketing approach), and most lower to mid level will be Haier branded. Most plants will stay open....

That's what I heard on the radio. Also they want to expand US plants. The unspoken thing there is that the Chinese consumers with money will gladly pay a lot more for some US-made things than Chinese because of an image of quality. So Haier is finding a way to expand in their home market and make the business more profitable. Win-win for them. And potentially their US workforce/plants.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: grampi
I didn't say anything about making it illegal for Americans to purchase foreign businesses...it's time for us to start worrying about what's best for us...

21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

I'm not against other developed nations buying a US brand (Canada Germany, Australia, UK, ect) but slave wage nations like China should be barred for numerous reasons including their terrible working conditions.

I own a 7 year old GE large fridge that is really a Goldstar(Korean something). It works but plastic is junky and expensive to replace.

I am indifferent to them going to Haier.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm so tired of foreign companies poaching great American businesses.
then gather the funding required to purchase and buy it yourself? it's business, if you don't like the trend, then actually try to do something about it.

I've got a better idea. How bout if we pass a law that states no American business can be purchased or owned by foreigners? I'm sick and tired of our country being bought out by foreigners...

Well, such a law exists for National security protected industries. Airlines is the best known example where it can't be run by foreigners. But the usual suspects are also there.

However, I think you'll need to study some economics on why isolation and protectionism won't work in general. In general, if this were to happen, everything would just cost about much more.
Then you'll be complaining why a ford focus costs $80,000, while you still pull down the same salary.

I also wonder though, whether the group of folks who believe in the above isolationist policy also have the logical disconnect where they also think the government is too big and also getting too much in the way of business and individual rights... Enter politics.

Last edited:
it's time for us to start worrying about what's best for us...do you think any foreigners that are purchasing our businesses give a rat's behind about what's best for us?

^^^My EXACT response to all of those who defend, praise, and even deify all of the foreign auto manufacturers who set up transplants here.

Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT doing it for OUR benefit.
31.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: raytseng
then gather the funding required to purchase and buy it yourself? it's business, if you don't like the trend, then actually try to do something about it.

I've got a better idea. How bout if we pass a law that states no American business can be purchased or owned by foreigners? I'm sick and tired of our country being bought out by foreigners...

Well, such a law exists for National security protected industries. Airlines is the best known example where it can't be run by foreigners. But the usual suspects are also there.

However, I think you'll need to study some economics on why isolation and protectionism won't work in general. In general, if this were to happen, everything would just cost about much more.
Then you'll be complaining why a ford focus costs $80,000, while you still pull down the same salary.

I also wonder though, whether the group of folks who believe in the above isolationist policy also have the logical disconnect where they also think the government is too big and also getting too much in the way of business and individual rights... Enter politics.

Protectionist policies/laws do NOT HAVE TO BE the 100% pure, ALL or NONE proposition that all of the hard core free traders/globalists ALWAYS negatively present them as having to be.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

The Japanese were doing the same thing in the US during the 1980's, the British have been doing it for 100 or more years worldwide, the US used to do a lot more of it worldwide but still does it in some parts of the world, such as Central and South America, Canada buys US assets and the US buys Canadian assets since the two countries trade between themselves more than any other two nations on Earth, etc.

I always mention this when someone talks about China being an unstoppable economic giant.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Protectionist policies/laws do NOT HAVE TO BE the 100% pure, ALL or NONE proposition that all of the hard core free traders/globalists ALWAYS negatively present them as having to be.
31.gif

Exactly. The sheeple are well conditioned though and always bleat with the response that you can't have a measured policy. All or nothing. The mindlessness is astonishing.

it's time for us to start worrying about what's best for us...do you think any foreigners that are purchasing our businesses give a rat's behind about what's best for us?

^^^My EXACT response to all of those who defend, praise, and even deify all of the foreign auto manufacturers who set up transplants here.

Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT doing it for OUR benefit.
31.gif
mad.gif

Do you think the ones who sold their companies to foreigners did so for the benefit of us ? They don't care ! They only care for their own benefit and pocket !

Companies have to do what's in the best financial interests.

Why isn't the iPhone made in the USA by American employees?
Do you really want to buy a $2000 cellphone.... ?

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

31.gif

Exactly. The sheeple are well conditioned though and always bleat with the response that you can't have a measured policy. All or nothing. The mindlessness is astonishing.

I find it funny that the people wanting to protect American companies are OK with American companies buying out Australian companies, and pressuring Governments to privatise, to allow US companies to profit.

(not you two)

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Do you think the ones who sold their companies to foreigners did so for the benefit of us ? They don't care ! They only care for their own benefit and pocket !

Do you own any stock? Mutual Funds? Retirement savings? If so then you are the beneficiary. You see those funds invest in these big bad companies and require a positive return so you make money and can retire/buy whatever/etc. So while people are moaning about these "big bad companies" they tend to forget where their money lives and works!

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Do you own any stock? Mutual Funds? Retirement savings? If so then you are the beneficiary. You see those funds invest in these big bad companies and require a positive return so you make money and can retire/buy whatever/etc. So while people are moaning about these "big bad companies" they tend to forget where their money lives and works!

This is key and often ignored. These "big bad companies" are made up of millions of average working people who are shareholders.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I own a 7 year old GE large fridge that is really a Goldstar(Korean something). It works but plastic is junky and expensive to replace.

I am indifferent to them going to Haier.

Goldstar == LG, so something doesn't make sense here as LG had ditched their "Lucky / Goldstar" name everywhere except in the fine print and actually become pretty highly regarded well before 7 years ago. You sure its not more like 20+ years old?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldStar

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

31.gif

I find it funny that the people wanting to protect American companies are OK with American companies buying out Australian companies, and pressuring Governments to privatise, to allow US companies to profit.

(not you two)

Well duh...that's the point

Your retirement funds would take a huge hit because rather than selling for a justified amount of money, you have to close a poor running business down.

Last edited:

Well duh...that's the point

So you basically want the rest of us to be vassals to the US empire...nice moral position

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Yep, Americans don't want to see a drop in their retirement accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back