Another American business sold to the Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see it as poor old us.
We dump many turd businesses on the Chinese.
Why? There the only ones with dollars.

GE appliances have been junk for years including phones and household items.

I think some of you need to read about GE and NAFTA, and the thousands of jobs that went to Mexico, and are never coming back. GE was one of the major players waving the NAFTA banner, and saying that it was good for America, and when NAFTA was enacted the big job suck went of this country to Mexico, and GE had their vacuum on full blast.

Samsung and LG are a force to reckon with in that space. I couldn't imagine it being very profitable for GE.

Originally Posted By: Joe1
Samsung and LG are a force to reckon with in that space. I couldn't imagine it being very profitable for GE.

Well, the Whirlpool empire (including Maytag, Kitchen-Aid, Amana, Jenn-Air, etc.) is the big gorilla. But yes, Samsung and LG both make good stuff that has taken a lot of market share that would otherwise have been available to GE, had GE bothered to compete. We're a mostly-Whirlpool house, but do really like our Samsung fridge. GE just hasn't been seriously in the game of making good appliances for a long time. Its been 'turn the crank' on old designs at best, very mediocre new designs at worst.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The same financial elites from Ivy League schools who told GE to sell their appliance business gravitate to WHICH political party? Does Gruber ring a bell?

Nope

Many of the parts in most appliances are made in China and have been for some time. I bought an Electrolux refrigerator 6 years or so ago, Electrolux is a foreign company btw, and was surprised nearly everything inside the compressor and valves area is made in China. Electrolux bought Frigidaire. Not a good buy it's not a good refrigerator. I had to buy a new valve inside, very pricey for a Made in China plastic thing. GE dishwasher, I see on the motor, Made in China. Our manufacturing lunch has been eaten America. Great way to get 100 years of manufacturing know how in a short time, buy it on sale.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
It's best for GE to sell their appliance business, it had a small profit margin compared to the jet engines, medical equipment, locomotives, etc...

Why didn't GE just "spin off" the appliances into it's own company?

Bye Golly, a few years ago, I read how GE "appliance park" was making USA made fridges again....

I agree that GE needed to divest appliance division. Not for the reasons you think.

The appliance market has been destroyed by GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS. Mainly from water/electrical usage requirements. Now you get dish washers/washing machines that use less water, and fridges and refrigerators that use less electricity.... to the point that performance and dependability are degraded.

That, with low profit margins, heavy foreign competition, why even be in this business?
Miele got that message, and pulled their washers out of the N.A. market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Appliances have become a commodity business and that is not where GE wants to be. Like IBM selling its PC business to Lenovo.

This. Just look at how many appliances are actually made by another manufacturer these days (I'm not just talking about the known private labels).

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

GE appliances have been junk for years including phones and household items.

My GE alarm clock is [censored] good. Going on 30 years now, but the buttons are failing, going to replace with a Sangean CL-100.

Now of course "GE" probably didn't make the radio, it's just GE branded.

This is completely expected, and the purchase of American Business and Real Estate assets can only continue in the future. No-one should be surprised, or at least no-one who understands International Trade.

You have a trade deficit with China. This means you buy more products from China than you sell to China.

This also means the Chinese Businesses are collecting US dollars for their a significant portion of their sales efforts. When you are collecting currency in a foreign country you have three choices:

--Save the foreign currency as a reserve. This is a reasonable strategy for a small percentage, but not reasonable for a significant amount, since Bond and Deposit interest is typically relatively low while you can't collect interest from money stored in a Safety Deposit Box.

--Convert the foreign currency to your national currency, so that you can carry on business by paying for inputs (wages, rents, raw materials in your own country, thus your own currency). You can only do this on a limited basis, since selling the foreign currency devalues the foreign currency (eg there is an excess of US dollars in the market when you offer for sale US dollars, devaluating US dollars, and simultaneously a shortage of Chinese Yuan when you demand to purchase Yuan, raising the value of Yuan), which forces you to raise prices, which reduces your sales.

--Invest the foreign currency in the foreign country. This means buying assets in that foreign country, like Real Estate and Businesses.

The latter is where the majority of your foreign currency assets must be applied.

The Japanese were doing the same thing in the US during the 1980's, the British have been doing it for 100 or more years worldwide, the US used to do a lot more of it worldwide but still does it in some parts of the world, such as Central and South America, Canada buys US assets and the US buys Canadian assets since the two countries trade between themselves more than any other two nations on Earth, etc.

Vern,

For the record, I work for GE.

Their appliances business only had a 5% profit margin, even if that business was spun off into another company.... its would still have a low profit margin. Not worth the headache.

All my GE appliances were good quality and lasted 20 years, but I always bought the most basic model (got employee discount) , I don't need a $2000 refrigerator. GE wants to focus on their businesses with big profit margins, I work in healthcare and all their medical equipment is crazy expensive and extremely profitable.

I've got a 1960 Hotpoint built in oven. Only once replaced a heater element. I can still get part for it.

Apparently they are keep the GE name on the appliances. Also, they are keeping the current plant open as well.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
It's best for GE to sell their appliance business, it had a small profit margin compared to the jet engines, medical equipment, locomotives, etc...

Why didn't GE just "spin off" the appliances into it's own company?

Bye Golly, a few years ago, I read how GE "appliance park" was making USA made fridges again....

I agree that GE needed to divest appliance division. Not for the reasons you think.

The appliance market has been destroyed by GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS. Mainly from water/electrical usage requirements. Now you get dish washers/washing machines that use less water, and fridges and refrigerators that use less electricity.... to the point that performance and dependability are degraded.

That, with low profit margins, heavy foreign competition, why even be in this business?
Miele got that message, and pulled their washers out of the N.A. market.

That is why, when I moved, I bought a new refrigerator for the house I sold, and took my 20+ year-old Kenmore with me!

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
Apparently they are keep the GE name on the appliances. Also, they are keeping the current plant open as well.

I've gathered that will only be on higher end models (Heard they might take a more "jetson's" marketing approach), and most lower to mid level will be Haier branded. Most plants will stay open....

Vern,

For the record, I work for GE.

Their appliances business only had a 5% profit margin, even if that business was spun off into another company.... its would still have a low profit margin. Not worth the headache.

All my GE appliances were good quality and lasted 20 years, but I always bought the most basic model (got employee discount) , I don't need a $2000 refrigerator. GE wants to focus on their businesses with big profit margins, I work in healthcare and all their medical equipment is crazy expensive and extremely profitable.

Happens to be one of the best parts to work for.
cool.gif

Threw a few apps in there as well...

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm so tired of foreign companies poaching great American businesses.
then gather the funding required to purchase and buy it yourself? it's business, if you don't like the trend, then actually try to do something about it.

I've got a better idea. How bout if we pass a law that states no American business can be purchased or owned by foreigners? I'm sick and tired of our country being bought out by foreigners...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I've got a better idea. How bout if we pass a law that states no American business can be purchased or owned by foreigners? I'm sick and tired of our country being bought out by foreigners...

Would the law also require that all of the American companies that have bought out Australian Brands like Vegemite and Fosters hand them back ?

Hand back the $Ms that were pillaged in the privatising of utilities ?

It's a two way street, Americans have been doing the same globally...you can't complain that the Chinese are buying your industry and not recognise that you are exactly the same.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Would the law also require that all of the American companies that have bought out Australian Brands like Vegemite and Fosters hand them back ?

Hand back the $Ms that were pillaged in the privatising of utilities ?

It's a two way street, Americans have been doing the same globally...you can't complain that the Chinese are buying your industry and not recognise that you are exactly the same.

I didn't say anything about making it illegal for Americans to purchase foreign businesses...it's time for us to start worrying about what's best for us...do you think any foreigners that are purchasing our businesses give a rat's behind about what's best for us?

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about making it illegal for Americans to purchase foreign businesses...it's time for us to start worrying about what's best for us...

21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back