TSMC needs to hire 4,500 Americans but it's "brutal" corporate culture is getting in the way

Interesting you say that. One of my economics professors, Dr. Chen, was from China. She said the same thing. She literally said Americans work too much. Or was she a spy trying to make us lazy? j/k :ROFLMAO:

So which is it?
Many professors and business people here that are from China actually are spies or at least stealing our technology.

This thread has wandered all over.

But something vitally important was not said yet.

When building this place, make it out of the least flammable materials, and put in a sprinkler system. 😁

University of Illinois would be out of business without the Chinese....
That may be true but so is my statement. There are many Chinese spies in our universities, corporations etc....They've even managed to gain the confidence of our top leaders....a Califoria Senator had a Chinese spy as her driver for years. A Califonia Congressman was having an affair with a Chinese spy....and of couse we have you know you (I don't want to get banned but it's all coming out now even if the media won't report it).

Many professors and business people here that are from China actually are spies or at least stealing our technology.
In Semiconductor Mfg, the most high tech of the high tech, spies are a known problem. Literally plants from competitors trying to gain an edge. In a wafer fab, no outside laptops or phones are allowed.

Answer: No there isn't. What did happen is that in early 1970;s Nixon closed the gold window and with it went the last remaining extremely thin link of the USD to gold due to the commitments starting with LBJ "Guns-n-Butter" policy. In addition there was the hyper financialization of debt instruments like credit cards, etc and the expansion of the workforce as more women entered areas of the workforce which were predom occupied by men.
Don’t forget derivatives

The Chinese student population is around 10% of total students and 50% of international students at U of I. Who benefits? Not the Illinois taxpayer.

The Chinese student population is around 10% of total students and 50% of international students at U of I. Who benefits? Not the Illinois taxpayer.
Why not? They pay full tuition which is maybe twice the amount the out of state US students pay.

Tech is in companies; schools teach the skills to develop that tech. Like TSMC...
Ha. A little out of touch with what research the U of I does. Why do they come here to learn besides supercomputers?

Illinois research pioneers new ideas, new companies, and even new industries. We’re among the nation’s research powerhouses. Our faculty have developed many of the technologies that enable modern electronic devices, pioneered agricultural practices that feed the world, and shaped the government policies that protect the vulnerable in our society.

Interesting article about the culture clash that is happening when an East Asian company tries to establish high tech manufacturing in the US.

People complain about low wages in Asia causing American manufacturing deline, but there are many other factors. If it was only about wages every poor country would be able to replicate China/Taiwan success.

One of them is that people there simply work way harder than we do. I was talking to my Chinese coworkers and they said a lot of their family work 996 (12 hours 6 days a week). This article talks about some of the differences.

People may think I’m kidding.

Go to Costco on any given work day. It’s packed. So called remote workers are at work shopping away.

Go to a Walmart on any given work day. It’s empty, unlike on weekends and holidays. Typical shopper here is at work, they can’t shop on co time.

I’m a costco fanboy who swings by on my lunch hour and it’s simply disgusting to see this many people who don’t really work.

I’ll be at my desk on July 3. I may have the entire floor to myself in a 17 story office building. And on-call this weekend. Been on call since 1996. Maybe that’s why this concept of “remote work” or permanent staycation is so annoying. And when we hire that tends to be a condition 😂

End rant

People may think I’m kidding.

Go to Costco on any given work day. It’s packed. So called remote workers are at work shopping away.

Go to a Walmart on any given work day. It’s empty, unlike on weekends and holidays. Typical shopper here is at work, they can’t shop on co time.

I’m a costco fanboy who swings by on my lunch hour and it’s simply disgusting to see this many people who don’t really work.

I’ll be at my desk on July 3. I may have the entire floor to myself in a 17 story office building. And on-call this weekend. Been on call since 1996. Maybe that’s why this concept of “remote work” or permanent staycation is so annoying. And when we hire that tends to be a condition 😂

End rant
That's a management issue. If a worker's performance is acceptable with management, what's the problem?

That's a management issue. If a worker's performance is acceptable with management, what's the problem?
They are also remote and show empirically they need to hire addl lower paid to be 100% in the office. Takes overall more headcount than before for Same, and hurts bottom line

They are also remote and show empirically they need to hire addl lower paid to be 100% in the office. Takes overall more headcount than before for Same, and hurts bottom line
How do you know that's true? Regardless, by definition that's a management issue.

I'm actually glad that I hate costco and very rarely go there. And good luck with getting customer service there, most costco staff can barely tell the difference between a TV and a pork chop.

Back