Amsoil SSO vs. PP 5W-30, 8319 mi, 1997 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I'm not sure I follow..... The TBN remaining on the PP is higher than that on the SSO. Are we actually SURE the SSO will last longer than the PP then?

The PP also seems to have MORE Zinc, Phos and Calcium......

That's what I pulled out of all of this. $20 for 5 qts of PP and a $15 rebate PP is the clear winner here, extended drain or not. JMO

AD

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all your comments. Part of the fun of taking an oil analysis for me is being to able to share it with all of you. Like I said earlier, my brother is a Penzoil Platinum guy and he is thrilled that it has appeared to do better than the Amsoil.

I am not disappointed with the Amsoil SSO yet. To be fair, I just want to point out that the 0W-30 was dealing with higher fuel dilution than did the Penzoil. Unless I am mistaken, fuel dilution will cause the oil of choice problems with the viscosity, oxidation levels, and wear metals. While part of an oil's job is to deal with fuel dilution, I believe it will affect the final results versus one with no problems.

Last edited:
I have 2 things:

1. What does the large difference in Oxidation numbers mean?

2. Where these run in the same weather conditions? Which saw winter weather?

ZZman,

1. I don't know. This is why I keep wondering about the higher fuel dilution and if it is somehow tied to me running FP3000 at a stronger dosage which I did not do with the PP.

2. The Penzoil Platinum was run from March to mid-April of this year while the SSO went from mid-April to now. I live in Central Indiana.

My brother is shaking his head at me right now because he thinks I should be satisfied with the PP. This week I am going to change the oil out to Amsoil SSO again and run FP3000 at the rate recommended on label. At the mileage I put on the Honda, I will be able to draw off another oil sample in mid-October. One of the things I will be looking for is if the fuel dilution is still there.

1. The overdose of that foreign material probably was detrimental to the SSO. 2.Your brother's right.

I don't think wear metals show any real advantage for either oil, but PP's add pack does look better. SSO has the better base oils, but still...

Hey all,

I'm running PP 5w30 after 3 consecutive runs of AMSOIL SSO 0w30 (including a final run of 16.3k miles) and I'm curious to see the UOA after a 10-12k run. I'm still consuming about 1 quart every 4-6k, so I think PP 5w30 is far more cost effective.

Over 10k miles, I use a total of 7.5 quarts of oil....

I'm not sure I follow..... The TBN remaining on the PP is higher than that on the SSO. Are we actually SURE the SSO will last longer than the PP then?

+1

I find SSO's lack of moly and boron interesting too.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Like someone said, past 12k miles is where the SSO will show its worth. PP won't look like that at 17-18k miles....

SSO won't look like that in 17-18K miles either though. SSO has proven that it can go long intervals in some engines, but has anyone proven that PP won't? Just going by TBN retention over these intervals, I don't see any real evidence that Amsoil can go significantly longer than PP in this car.
21.gif

TBN retention is NOT linear nor consistent between brands. Towards the end of the run, Amsoil's oil will probably go through TBN at a much slower pace than PP. Extending it out to 18k or so would be the only way to know for sure. You cannot just look at TBN numbers and take anything comparable with regards to longevity out of those numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc

TBN retention is NOT linear nor consistent between brands. Towards the end of the run, Amsoil's oil will probably go through TBN at a much slower pace than PP. Extending it out to 18k or so would be the only way to know for sure. You cannot just look at TBN numbers and take anything comparable with regards to longevity out of those numbers.

Although looking at those numbers is probably more scientific than assuming Amsoil's TBN will somehow slow dramaticaly compared to PP's.

Are there any 15K+ mile PP UOAs on this site?

Originally Posted By: badtlc

That sort of observation works both ways. Lets see it perform as you state it will.

We have no idea if the PP's TBN will start depleting quickly or if the AMSOIL's will slow. The only way to KNOW is to test. I'm sure that's the reason we DO this sort of thing now isn't it
wink.gif

I've seen the SSO go a long ways (>17kmiles with no makeup oil) in Chevy v8 engines under severe intervals (yes I've posted the data here). I doubt we can actually see all the goodies that they put into that $10/quart oil in the $20 analysis that we do. Having said that, however, if you can score PP cheap at regular intervals more power to you!

Agree. You won't see all the "goodness" in the SSO with a $20 UOA. A lot of what they are using just doesn't show up. Same with ASM.

PP is a phenomenal oil for the $. I think it's better than Mobil 1 right now and has been. You can't go wrong with PP.

I think if you ran both oils to say 20k miles, you would see the advantage of the SSO.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
So these runs are almost all Hwy runs then?

They have to be. Look at the time span for the mileage. Otherwise you would have to be a pizza delivery person 12hours a day 7 days a week. Maybe a newspaper route in suburbia.

I'd do 6 months on the SSO for the next UOA and (at least once) skip the LC/FP adds to isolate the oil.

The Amsoil SSO had about 25-30% city driving with the rest rural highway driving. Cruising speeds on the highway was 55-60 mph.

I like PP for a great synthetic to run for reasonable intervals on difficult engines, or longer intervals on easier engines.

I haven't seen it be thoroughly tested on a long run on a difficult engine. So who knows.

I was going to run it for 10k in my SI and then sample, now I'm thinking 12k (due to my consumption and top-off frequency). If I see enough positive UOAs with strong tbn retention, I'll consider 15k. But that's pretty long for an oil that doesn't recommend itself for 15k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back