Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

All the $$$ you spent on oil etc on your car would have paid off a used Lambo Murcialigio [sp] they are not holding their value these days. So I am being conservative in the dollar values.

Amsoil SSO in a 1993 Honda Civic with 300,000+ miles is throwing $$ down the drain...especially with a 3,000 mile OCI. An API SM/SN conventional motor oil at a 3,000 mile OCI would still be overkill. JMHO

No,boys. When You get up to 305,000 miles on Your Civic,then you can critique Harry's choice of oils.

Blackstone lab report 12-10-2010

0W-30 SSO
EAO20 FILTER
2X Filtermag SS300
Golden Eagle magnetic drain plug

Miles on vehicle 305,276
Miles on oil 4,892

Thank you for the note stating that the timiing belt tension was set too high, Since it has been loosened, that could have been the cause of excess lead (from bearings) we found last time. Lead has settled down and all other wear metals look good, showing properly wearing mechanical parts inside your engine. The viscosity was a touch low for a 0W/30 oil. An acceptable amount of fuel dilution was also present. The TBN showed plenty of additive remaining in the oil at 5.9. The ISO Cleanliness code was 16/15/13, clean for hydraulic fluid. Nice report!

Aluminum...3 PPM
Chromium...1
Iron...10
Copper...4
Lead...1
Tin...0
Molybdenum...1
Nickel..0
Manganese...0
Silver...0
Titanium...0
Potassium...13
Boron...7
Silicon...15
Sodium...9
Calcium...3682
Magnesium...14
Phosphorus...669
Zinc...695
Barium...0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F...57.3
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C...9.45
Flashpoint...365
Fuel % 1
Antifreeze...0
Water %...0
Insoluables... 0.3
TBN...5.9

Blackstone lab report 6-16-2011

Miles on Civic 318,757
Miles on oil 3,060

Amsoil AZO 0W/30
Eao 36 oil filter
Twin filtermag RA300's
Golden Eagle Magnetic drain plug

The small amount of Potassium in this sample can indicate the engine has developed a slight coolant leak. Usually when coolant is a problem we see sodium and high wear too, though neither of those turned up in this sample. So at this point, we can't say for sure wether your Civic has a coolant leak or not. We suggest just keeping an eye on your coolant level for now just to be safe. Wear looks just fine. The TBN read 5.9, and the particle count was clean at 16/15/12. Neither fuel nor viscosity is hurting anything, check back.

Aluminum.....2PPM
Chromium....1
Iron......5
Copper....3
Lead.....1
Tin.......0
Molybdenum.124
Nickel...0
Manganese..0
Silver...0
Titanium...0
Potassium...37
Boron...90
Silicon...14
Sodium...9
Calcium...3468
Magnesium..14
Phosphorus...708
Zinc...866
Barium...0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F...59.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100C...10
fLASHPOINT Deg F...365
Fuel% 1
Antifreeze...?
Water %...0
Insoluables....0.3
TBN...5.9
ISO Code...16/15/12

Particle counts for ISO Code 16/15/12;

>=2 Microns..732
>=5...271
>=10...75
>=15...29
>=25...6
>=50...0
>=100...0

Whoa, that's a lot of miles on that Civic. Nice report(s).

Not thinking about extending the OCIs a bit?

Very nice,Harry. Why don't you go to Autozone and get 5 quarts of M1 EP and an M1 filter for about $35,on the next promotion, and see what she'll do?

If everyone keep recommending M1 over Amsoil, the poor guys at Amsoil won't make any money. Lol. I say he sticks with Amsoil and starts extending the OCIs.

I was extending the miles per change until Amsoil reformulated the 0W/30 oil(SSO now AZO). I felt as though I was back to square one. Based on the latest test results though, I see no reason not to extend the miles on each change.

Last edited:
I also went from SSO to AZO after doing 10k miles on SSO and I wouldn't say I went back to square one with the formula switch since the change was very minor and its still a Signature Series line of oil. I haven't had a UOA on AZO yet but I expect it will perform a bit better then SSO.

Not recommending 1 over the other. They are both very good oils. My point would be;that the motor produces the results and the results would be similar.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Nice report to bring this old thread back to life. Hope the potassium isn't from coolant.

I looks like a coolant leak, so I put a couple of Bars anti leak tablets into the cooling system. It will be interesting to see how well they work.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Very nice,Harry. Why don't you go to Autozone and get 5 quarts of M1 EP and an M1 filter for about $35,on the next promotion, and see what she'll do?

I did try as you suggested some time ago. I just couldn't live with the valve train clatter or how fast the oil turned black. To be fair, M1 has gone through some formulation changes since then so I'm not against trying it again....as soon as my stock of AZO runs out

Originally Posted By: harry j
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Nice report to bring this old thread back to life. Hope the potassium isn't from coolant.

I looks like a coolant leak, so I put a couple of Bars anti leak tablets into the cooling system. It will be interesting to see how well they work.

You don't have "dexcool-like" anti-freeze in this vehicle, do you? I know I'm looking to drop my fill of Prestone 50/50 premix. I don't trust it with my aluminum engine, and wish I had of known in advance and told my mechanic not to use this in my vehicle.

^I envy you! Good choice, hope it's cheap enough here, otherwise I may try the Amsoil coolant since it's concentrated and I can get more fluid out of it while mixing with water.

If the Prestone 50/50 premix in the yellow bottle; labeled as 'Long Life' for all makes/models etc, really is dex clone...I don't want any of it remaining.

^In a Honda, or mostly aluminum engine, the GM type coolant that came out in the US typically allows for more aluminum corrosion/pitting etc.

Now, they may have reformulated it since, but there is optimal coolant for a Honda for a reason. That's the gist anyway. Someone else may know the exacts. Something to do with it being HOAT or OAT type; which may/may not include silicates vs phosphates debate. Check out some threads in the Cooling subforum.

Back