Amsoil SS 0w-40 now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
If Mobil 1 didn’t exist, I’d probably use Amsoil. It just so happens that Mobil has always taken synthetics very seriously and has always made one of the best overall performing oils you can buy, readily available. Both Amsoil and Mobil 1 make great, well rounded performing oils. I’m sure the Amsoil 0w40 SS is great, but it just isn’t worth it when you can easily get M1 0w40 which is arguably the best overall, most proven oil on the market.

My guess is Amsoil 0w-40 is going to come in at <800 ppm Phosphorus to meet SN like the 5w-50. As both are intended for US vehicles, not EURO. That would differ from the 900+ Phosphorus in M1 0w-40. Minor but a difference as to CAT's life so they say.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BrianC
My guess is Amsoil 0w-40 is going to come in at div>

The

I am well aware that the Phos limit doesn't apply. But, the Amsoil 5w-50 is under 800ppm. I would expect the 0w-40 to follow suit since it is targeting the US market. API certified is NOT the world savior. It is a minimum spec. The so called "non compliant" SS series is not certified due to the base oil interchange guidelines. Which means, change suppliers of the SAME base oil (Group V)ALL grades must be re- tested thru all API/ILSAC testing. Not a financially sound decision since Amsoil is a blender, not a producer of base oils. Some Group 4 and ALL group 5 basestock interchanges require a complete API retest. Amsoil has API Certifed oils. 2 of them XL and OE. Feel free to use them. But they will not perform like the SS oils.

Last edited:
API certified is NOT the world savior.

Of course, but you were the one that brought up API SN, and I still don't understand why.

To meet the US OEM specs the oils are formulated for Ford, Chrysler, and Nissan HP vehicles, which most likely require Nissan HP engines. We will soon know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
A Game Changer product by Amsoil indeed! The specs at least on the sheet are head on at par with M1 Euro or better... this will be exciting!

Well, we've been on them for a while to make a 0w-40 to compete with BP and Mobil, looks like they are finally doing just that
thumbsup2.gif

Cannot be classified as "competitive" , its without the OEM approvals really !!!

If Mobil 1 didn’t exist, I’d probably use Amsoil. It just so happens that Mobil has always taken synthetics very seriously

Yes indeed , agreed !

I’m sure the Amsoil 0w40 SS is great, but it just isn’t worth it when you can easily get M1 0w40 which is arguably the best overall, most proven oil on the market.

The real question is.. at what price point would anyone be "indifferent" between buying M1 0w-40 and SS 0w-40 ?

Originally Posted By: fpracha
If Mobil 1 didn’t exist, I’d probably use Amsoil. It just so happens that Mobil has always taken synthetics very seriously

Yes indeed , agreed !

I’m sure the Amsoil 0w40 SS is great, but it just isn’t worth it when you can easily get M1 0w40 which is arguably the best overall, most proven oil on the market.

The real question is.. at what price point would anyone be "indifferent" between buying M1 0w-40 and SS 0w-40 ?

They would have to cost the same for me to be indifferent to be honest.
I'm not a fan of M1 however the 0w-40 has proven to be one of the best oils on earth in a vast array of different applications and the price makes it a no brainer.
And I'm a pennzoil guy however I'm loyal to the almighty buck and a few weeks ago jugs of M1 0w-40 were 28 bucks so of course I bought 10.
I may not be an M1 fan but I'm not stupid.

Quote:
I'm confident it would pull the gig off...there's nothing special about Amsoil on that gig either, nothing remarkable in their make-up, just playing the odds that the number of people who do it is few, and the number of failures is fewer (thus their lists of engines that you CANT do it in).

Agreed, and there are many, mine included. Thus the "UP TO" qualifier. I would estimate (based on UOA's) my Hyundai 2.4L DI would kill SS by 11-12,000 miles. But the question is...what is this engine doing to oils with an add pack not even close to SS?

I run it 7500 miles in warranty. UOA results are good. Avg wear, no oxidation, in grade, TBN of 3.1..... I like the cushion. JMHO
At 17,500 miles annually I'm slighty ahead $ wise.

For average results yet a premium price.
Why bother.
Why not use a less costly alternative and get those same average results.
If I'm paying top dollar I want exceptional results otherwise I'll spend less to get average ones.
Just sayin

I will use it next oil change since the 40 grade is suggested for my car, but there was no signature series for this grade before.

Maybe I got carried away a bit, well at least on the paper 0W40 SS seems to have better specs then PU 0W40, also it has higher TBN listed than both M1/Castrol 0W40 oils.

I doubt I will buy it as I have enough stash (purchased while on sale at Partsource/Canadian Tire/Walmart) of M1 0W40, Maxlife 5W20, Castrol EP 0W20 & Rotella 5W-40 to last me entire 2015 and beyond.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I don't get why it is a game changer, is there a shortage of high quality 0W-40 oils on the market at higher prices?

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
A Game Changer product by Amsoil indeed! The specs at least on the sheet are head on at par with M1 Euro or better... this will be exciting!

What does that mean though, exactly? It also says it meets dexos1 specifications, yet there is no dexos logo on the bottle. So it's not dexos certified?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Although not their best product (HPS), at least Royal Purple '0w-40 and 5W-40 meets and or exceeds European specs ACEA A3/
B3-04 warranty requirements.'

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-motor-oil/

Look under: PRODUCT SHEET

What does that mean though, exactly? It also says it meets dexos1 specifications, yet there is no dexos logo on the bottle. So it's not dexos certified?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Although not their best product (HPS), at least Royal Purple '0w-40 and 5W-40 meets and or exceeds European specs ACEA A3/
B3-04 warranty requirements.'

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-motor-oil/

Look under: PRODUCT SHEET

Interesting, this seems common in the industry. Some companies do their own testing and claim their product meets such and such a spec, without actually getting the certification. The motivation is cost savings because they don't want to pay any fees associated with it. It sells oil, because 99% of the oil buying population is clueless, and at the end of the day that's probably all those oil companies care about.

Yeah, I guess I know that part, but I was just weasel-wording it out a bit. wemay noted it says "at least Royal Purple '0w-40 and 5W-40 meets and or exceeds European specs ACEA A3/B3-04 warranty requirements", does that mean like M1 0W-40 it meets them? I'm guessing it does since ExxonMobil uses the words "Mobil 1 0W-40 has the following builder approvals" for LL-01 for example. Yet for ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, M1 0W-40 states "Mobil 1 0W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of", pretty much like the Royal Purple claim.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Interesting, this seems common in the industry. Some companies do their own testing and claim their product meets such and such a spec, without actually getting the certification. The motivation is cost savings because they don't want to pay any fees associated with it. It sells oil, because 99% of the oil buying population is clueless, and at the end of the day that's probably all those oil companies care about.

Yeah, I guess I know that part, but I was just weasel-wording it out a bit. wemay noted it says "at least Royal Purple '0w-40 and 5W-40 meets and or exceeds European specs ACEA A3/B3-04 warranty requirements", does that mean like M1 0W-40 it meets them? I'm guessing it does since ExxonMobil uses the words "Mobil 1 0W-40 has the following builder approvals" for LL-01 for example. Yet for ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, M1 0W-40 states "Mobil 1 0W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of", pretty much like the Royal Purple claim.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

LOL their wording is intentionally deceptive I think. There's the 99% of the population who are clueless, then there's Bitog members. It's a small % of us they'e trying to mess with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back