Amsoil SS 0w-40 now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you

With our winters .... the 0w is a must ... for me ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ndx

Then I would continue to use an approved oil for now in that range. So M1 0w-40, Castrol 0w-40...etc.

Thank you

It's IL, not Alaska or North Dakota.
smile.gif

My 530i starts just fine with PU 5w-40 in it, even when it's 0F outside. Based on my butt dyno, it actually cranks easier than with GC 0w-30 that I used before. Go figure.

Thank you

LOL no its not.

People even use 5w/10w in Ontario without block heater.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Thank you

LOL no its not.

We do, yes, but I find the vehicles crank a lot easier at -25C with a 0w-xx in the pan.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: dgunay
Thank you

LOL no its not.

We do, yes, but I find the vehicles crank a lot easier at -25C with a 0w-xx in the pan.

True, my car sits in an underground garage so it doesn't really matter for me. But i'd definitely use 0w if it sits outside.

I meant 0w is not a must in IL.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
O.K., for those of us (like myself) who are trying to learn to understand how to interpret the "specs"...can you give us a hint, i.e., what specs are you looking at and what's so special about those numbers that impress you???

smile.gif

Ed

Low pour point, low Noack, high TBN, high HT/HS.

Of course, these only matter if your application requires it.

Cool, thanks Pete.

When you look at these low/high specs, what are you comparing them to when you think, "Hey, this is a good oil" or "Hey, this oil sucks", etc., etc.?

Ed

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why bother with hard(and expensive) to get oil while you can buy either M1 or Castrol 0W40(approved for may European engines) at Walmart all day at reasonable price ? Escpecially when Castrol 0W40 was only $21.xx 5-qt jug few days ago.

+1 I like amsoil ATF, MTF and greases a lot but its true the price of some of their engine oil and lack of manufacturers specs knocks them right off the short list.
Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol 0w40 are both very good oils and priced considerably lower than they are worth IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I like amsoil ATF, MTF and greases a lot but its true the price of some of their engine oil and lack of manufacturers specs knocks them right off the short list.
Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol 0w40 are both very good oils and priced considerably lower than they are worth IMHO.

I agree 100% about Amsoil ATF, MTF ...

Something you only change once in a while likes 4-5 years, then the extra cost and trouble to find it justifies the effort, because they are 1 of the best if not the best.

For someone who drive German cars 20-25k miles a year and have the gut to do yearly OCI, then Amsoil SS 0W40 may be justified.

Quote:
It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:
0W-40 (AZF): API SN, SM…; Chrysler MS-12633, MS-10725, MS-10850; Nissan GT-R®

So does "recommended for" properly translate to "approved by" the respective manufacturers in this instance?

M-B's 229.5 (not the Low-SAPS 229.51 specification) motor oil is required for warranty compliance in mine.
That's what I'll go with unless otherwise instructed.

references:
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AZFQT-EA
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

Why bother with hard(and expensive) to get oil while you can buy either M1 or Castrol 0W40(approved for may European engines) at Walmart all day at reasonable price ? Escpecially when Castrol 0W40 was only $21.xx 5-qt jug few days ago.
01.gif

My thoughts exactly.

I can get Amsoil much cheaper than those oils you just mentioned at Wall-Mart.
They cost almost 50.00 at WAlly World and 10.00 more at other shops.
Im getting ripped.

Exactly.
If it is to compete with M1 0W-40, if it comes close to it, ok. Why is it exciting when it is double the price?

Originally Posted By: Koz1
I can get Amsoil much cheaper than those oils you just mentioned at Wall-Mart.
They cost almost 50.00 at WAlly World and 10.00 more at other shops.
Im getting ripped.
I can get this new oil for $9.90 per 946ml bottle.

If you follow deals at Canadian Tire and Walmart Canada, you will see that you can find it cheaper than the Amsoil. However, you're right if you compare the regular prices.

Sad but true, everything is expensive in here unlike US.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Quote:
It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:
0W-40 (AZF): API SN, SM…; Chrysler MS-12633, MS-10725, MS-10850; Nissan GT-R®

So does "recommended for" properly translate to "approved by" the respective manufacturers in this instance?

M-B's 229.5 (not the Low-SAPS 229.51 specification) motor oil is required for warranty compliance in mine.
That's what I'll go with unless otherwise instructed.

references:
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AZFQT-EA
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

If Amsoil says they approve it for use in _____. They warrant that usage. But this 0w-40 is not a Euro oil, they have three of those already with all the fun mfr specs.

Great question. I always took the "recommended for" wording to mean "Amsoil thinks we might pass all the tests" without actually having run all the expensive tests Mobil1, Castrol, and Pennzoil do.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails

Great question. I always took the "recommended for" wording to mean "Amsoil thinks we might pass all the tests" without actually having run all the expensive tests Mobil1, Castrol, and Pennzoil do.

Have got in quite a few arguments on here over their weasel words.

(Note here, that I am not accusing Amsoil of not doing any testing which is the strawman that's flashed up when their testing is questioned).

Amsoil make recommendation, when their oils are clearly not compliant...obviously, and this is the most simple an oil with an HTHS of 3.4 ISN'T an A3/B4, in spite of "recommended for" wording.

Their testing allegedly takes the raft of industry tests, then applies the worst of the tests, stating that if it meets the worst, then a "lesser" test is an auto pass when making their recommendations, or "meets or exceeds"...we are still waiting in some other threads for what these "harder" tests are, when they are making statements.

Personally I'd be interested how they do sequence IVA when claiming API specs for starters (I have my suspicions).

Approving meens freezing the current specification (including base oils) and their Signature Series (SS) oils are being 'fine tuned' quite frequently - it is their big adventage.
Even when they are blending more and more mineral base stock like 10-30% in the new 0W-40 or 30-60% in 0W-20 - 10W-30 SS range (no info how much the new 5W-50 contains), the oils are still top shelf ones and unique.
For API or EU spec approved you can choose from OE, XL or EU lines much worse than SS obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back