Amsoil chaincase oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Can Am Ountlander and they recommend BRP synthetic chaincase oil in the gear box. After doing the research on the BRP oil it turns out that it is a 75w-140 GL-5. I'm wondering if Amsoil chaincase oil is a direct replacement or not. I'm courious what the ISO and GL ratings really are. Amsoil says that thier chaincase oil is a direct replacement But I can't find the viscosity or Gl rating. Amsoil reps don't seem to really know.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: ifishinxs
I have a Can Am Ountlander and they recommend BRP synthetic chaincase oil in the gear box. After doing the research on the BRP oil it turns out that it is a 75w-140 GL-5. I'm wondering if Amsoil chaincase oil is a direct replacement or not. I'm courious what the ISO and GL ratings really are. Amsoil says that thier chaincase oil is a direct replacement But I can't find the viscosity or Gl rating. Amsoil reps don't seem to really know.

Thanks

Do you have a BRP #? Do you have a link stating that the oil = GL5 75W-140?

Who at Amsoil says "chaincase oil is a direct replacement"?

Amsoil has this stated: XP-S Synthetic Chaincase Oil #413803300 as to what their Chaincase oil replaces.

Amsoil Chaincase oil is not GL-5 rated on the bottle, for obvious reasons. They wouldn't want people dumping it in their differentials. Does the BRP oil say GL-5 on the bottle?

PABLO,
I called BRP and they confirmed the weight and the GL-5-rating. Its also in the 2011 BRP Outlander owners manual. The Amsoil reps don't give me much info other than to say its a replacement or I'll get back to you. I just want to know if Amsoil chain case oil is or is not a direct replacement. Alot of guys are running Amsoil Chain Case oil in the Gear box. If It doesn't meet BRP specs, then thats not a good thing.
I'm an Amsoil fan. I run it in my Jeep and my Outlander..But the Amsoil Chaincase oil is suspect to me right now.

Pablo find out what this stuff is rated..Viscosity, and GL rating..Then we can put this to bed.

Here's a couple links for you.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/7c2a2be2?page=21#/7c2a2be2/20

> http://www.parkeryamaha.com/brpxp-ssyntheticchaincaseoil.aspx

Last edited:
Here's what I just asked Amsoil HQ:

Quote:
TCC Chaincase oil is about 10.5 cSt @100 deg C. The product page says TCC is a direct replacement for XP-S Synthetic Chaincase Oil #413803300 which is a 75W-140 GL-5 gear oil according to BRP, as far as I can tell. Can you please reconcile, in detail, how TCC can be considered a direct replacement. Thanks

It is very possible that Amsoil did evaluate the TCC in the application. We'll find out.

Amsoil TCC link

The one BRP Scan catalog page you posted seems confused as well maybe they just left the picture of the 75W-90 out.

You could also just use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140.

If you need a GL5 75W-140 then use the Severe Gear 75W-140, its GL5. The TCCBE is an SAE 80 / GL4 as I recall but don't hold me to that.

If the BRP is really a 75W-140 GL5 then that's spec for any truck gear lube and typical of most Ford SD trucks.

Thanks Pablo..

I'm using the Severe gear myself and its awesome stuff. I have less heat and smoother shifts.

My concern was that Amsoil was showing there Chaincase oil as a replacement for the XPS chaincase oils and they seem like two different animals to me.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Last edited:

Thanks

All I can say is good catch!! This just in:

Originally Posted By: Amsoil
It seems BRP has gone to a much thicker fluid with a GL-5 rating. AMSOIL has just finished testing the BRP XP-S Synthetic Chaincase Oil product #413803300. Based on those results we are now recommending AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w-140 (SVO) in place of BRP XP-S Synthetic Chaincase Oil. Viscosities match up and additives are very similar. SVO actually has better cold temperature characteristics. This change will be made immediately to the online data sheet.

Best get your buds over to SVO. If anyone needs any, send them my way. THANKS!!!

Pablo,

YOU ARE THE MAN! and have my respect!.....Finally a straight answer and Amsoil did the right thing and tested the XPS. Amsoil just moved up to the top notch in my book.

Everyone prior kept blowing me off.

Thanks again and I have posted this info on the Can Am boards.

I know that it was changed a few days after our last dicussion. Then I had to refer to it again yesterday and noticed that it was back to same old reference.

Maybe something to look into..

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Almost like IT messed up or something.

Its hard to recommend an oil when its contradicted on the web site. I get the, "I looked it up but the web site says"

Any way, I thought I'd let you know..

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Almost like IT messed up or something.

Its hard to recommend an oil when its contradicted on the web site. I get the, "I looked it up but the web site says"

Any way, I thought I'd let you know..

I hear you. It's totally embarrassing to me. I emailed the guy who sent me the first message and he has not replied, so I just sent one in to tech central.

One thing I need to make very clear here – there will be no harm done using TCC. In fact, if I was racing and wanted the most power to the ground, I would run TCC. Chaincases simply don’t get as hot as differentials. People running TCC in place of BRP XP-S should not worry about chain or gear wear.

I’ve been told Amsoil is working on updating the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back