Amsoil ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Anybody know of a Chevy van with 900,000 miles doing 100,000 mile ATF changes with no transmission problems using OEM ATF? How about 35,000 mile oil changes with OEM oil? There is one here at BITOG that has with the AMSOIL in a recent thread.

What is the operating temps of the trans fluid ? Fluid life is dependent on temperatures. I will agree syns have a higher temp before oxidation.

Quote:

I don't care if it's certified, I have it in 3 of the 4 vehicles in the family fleet. I just know it works and here is why:
In 1992 I bought a GMC Sierra 1/2 ton extended cab short box truck new, at 66k the 4L60 trans literally exploded, huge bang and then no go. 1800.00 to replace. At 140k trans started shifting eratically. 1950.00 to replace. At 202k trans lost reverse and 1st. 1900.00 to replace. At 210K switched to Amsoil ATF and engine water temp dropped from 210 to just under 200 when towing and trans now has 108K on unit with just under 310k on engine and rolling chassis. Plus the uoa done on the fluid at 260k said fine for continued use, will do another uoa at 320k sometime in Nov 07. Fluid is still red and clean. For the cost about of about 100.00 for the oil and 18.00 for the filter and about 1 hour of my time, I'd have to say it was worth it. When the 4th vehicle is up for fluid change, it will get it too.

I would agree that the Amsoil atf is a great oil but bangs are caused by mechanical failures not lube failures first and reverse, I would have to see the parts but remember the gm parts aren't the highest quality as they could be I would say the bad parts have been replaced and as you see a drop in the coolant temps from the rebuilt trans then there was a big problem from the beginning. Towing? maybe the atf fluid was overheated is there an aux cooler installed?

I found this info at http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/maintain/answer.php?automatic_transmission1.html . "As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!

At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles. At 240 degrees F., the fluid won't go much over 10,000 miles. Add another 20 degrees, and life expectancy drops to 5,000 miles. Go to 295 or 300 degrees F., and 1,000 to 1,500 miles is about all you'll get before the transmission burns up.

If you think this is propaganda put forth by the suppliers of ATF to sell more fluid, think again. According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association, 90% of ALL transmission failures are caused by overheating. And most of these can be blamed on worn out fluid that should have been replaced."

I think I've read that Amsoil ATF can run up to 50F cooler than conventional in extreme situations.

I totally agree but remember the use, if it is mostly freeway there is not much shifting going on or high heat generated due to the steady speed and also torque converter lockup.

I have used Amsoil ATF for 10 years in all my vehicles in ten years I havn't had to rebuild any transmissions.
and I build all my transmissions, Amsoil ATF is the best I have seen so far, maybe others are better but nothing at the parts store beats it.
I used Mobil1, redline, B&M trickshift cheapie discount brand, nothing holds a candle to Amsoil.
Maybe something else does I dunno but I found what works better than anything I tried in the past.

Quote:

I found this info at http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/maintain/answer.php?automatic_transmission1.html . "As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!

At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles. At 240 degrees F., the fluid won't go much over 10,000 miles. Add another 20 degrees, and life expectancy drops to 5,000 miles. Go to 295 or 300 degrees F., and 1,000 to 1,500 miles is about all you'll get before the transmission burns up.

If you think this is propaganda put forth by the suppliers of ATF to sell more fluid, think again. According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association, 90% of ALL transmission failures are caused by overheating. And most of these can be blamed on worn out fluid that should have been replaced."

I think I've read that Amsoil ATF can run up to 50F cooler than conventional in extreme situations.

... I would guess that the syn base oils kick up the temps before failure at least 100degreesf . So I agree but the syn base stand up to the heat better so longer fluid life. now the hard part what if the oil temps due to operation and a huge oil cooler installed the oil temps "sump were only 175 degrees F? P.S. I have known about the temp charts for years .23+ years as a tech and have been going to all the auto classes to keep up with all the new stuff. Although retired and trying to forget as much as possible except when I do my own stuff.

Quote:

It's that time. Tranny fluid + filter change.

Is the AMSOIL ATF compatable with regular transmission fluids?

I don't use Amsoil or sell Amsoil products but Amsoil products are compatible and work well .To get the best results do a complete fluid flush to get the major amount of atf out of the torque converter.

Man you guys really scr**** my tranny drain and refill. I have 9 quarts of M1 ATF for my 97 Q45. I've been using Amsoil for 2 years now (engine oil) and I'm pleased. Looks like I'll be using Amsoil in the Marauder tranny.

Quote:

I would agree that the Amsoil atf is a great oil but bangs are caused by mechanical failures not lube failures first and reverse, I would have to see the parts but remember the gm parts aren't the highest quality as they could be I would say the bad parts have been replaced and as you see a drop in the coolant temps from the rebuilt trans then there was a big problem from the beginning. Towing? maybe the atf fluid was overheated is there an aux cooler installed?
Quote:

At 66k the bang was accompanied by a big hole in the side of the case just back of the pump lines, after the tranny was replaced, I added an aux cooler. At 140k the fluid went from red to black in one day and it stared shifting badly, replaced this tranny. At 202k 1st & reverse quit working, black fluid and metal in the pan, replace this tranny. When towing the water temp ran about 210 on gauge. This is the hd 1/2 ton with big radiator, engine oil cooler and factory trans cooler plus I add an additional cooler at 66k. After doing a manual flush & fill plus filter change on the trans at 210k using amsoil atf, I noticed the next time I had to tow a car on a trailer, total weight 5600 pounds 130 miles in the midde of August the engine water temp never climbed above 200. Current trans has just over 107k on unit, the longest any trans has been in this truck. I'll pull an oil sample in Nov and post it. The fluid is still red and smells good. I haven't tried a taste test yet. But I can say by my expierience the amsoil atf runs cooler. I really didn't notice any change in shifting when I switched. All three trannys where changed by a shop I have done business with since the early eighties. They rebuild all units in house and more than likely where all done by the same guy. The only difference is the atf oil change and what prompted that was a quick darkening of the dexron that was in the trans at the time. I will say that I beat the carp out of this truck, I used it for years hauling 700 pounds of tools around plus spare parts to remote job sites, flatbedding my nephews cruddy car around everytime it died, hauling the boat to the lake along with four other people. When I sell this truck, I'm sure it will be to a scrapyard at about 400k. Cost wise I find it hard to justify amsoil engine oil, but I'll buy the atf anytime.

I don't claim to be a techno oil wizard but I do know what works.

Most of the Jeep Liberty CRD owners (including me) have experienced transmission "shudder" at about 50-55 mph with the 545RFE tranny. Even after recall replacements of torque converters, TCU reprogram, filter changes, etc it still persists. Some are contemplating lemon law action.

I replaced the filters and did a total flush and refill with Amsoil ATF about 5K miles ago. Since then.... absolutely NO shudder. Not even a hint of the dreaded shudder.

I have no logrithams, spread sheets, technical analysis of this and I really don't care. It worked. I will never use another ATF again.

Amsoil UATF rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back