Amsoil atf in jeep PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if amsoil atf can be used in a jeep PS without problems. The owners manual states that "no atf should be used". Is there an actual reason for this or is it another example of "only genuine harley davidson oil can be used in your new harley"?

Thanks,
Steve

Last I heard was that Chrysler sent out a TSB to all Jeep dealers to replace the power steering fluid with Chrysler ATF for model's starting 2000 and up (their PSF had some problems in cold weather). I think if you look in a 2004 FSM it now says to use ATF. I've been using Amsoil ATF in my 2002 wrangler for a year now with no problems... You can call up your local dealer to confirm.

quote:

Originally posted by OiledMustangGT:
I would go with valvoline synpower ps fluid for $4/quart

Yeah, why fool around with stuff that doesn't even mention power steering on the bottle.
That said ATF is very similar to PS fluid and should be Ok. Because different Atf have different friction properties (ATF+4, Dexron, ETC.) I feel better if the fluid says "Power Steering" somewhere on it's container.
Ed

quote:

Originally posted by OiledMustangGT:
I would go with valvoline synpower ps fluid for $4/quart

I just changed the PS fluid in the ZJ.....DO NOT UNPLUG THE RETURN HOSE FROM THE PUMP SIDE!! I broke the PLASTIC tube that sticks out of the tank by trying to pull out the return hose from that end. Suction out all the PS fluid first then pull the return hose from the steering gear side. Since i broke it, I changed the whole pump. Since a remaned pump costs as much as the tank from the dealer. My ZJ already had a remaned pump so its not a big deal....

That being said. Use the Valvoline. It is more than enough for the Jeep's PS pump. They aren't noisy to begin with and work well with conventional fluid so the Valvoline SynPower (its a Syn.blend) is more than enough. The fluid I had in my pump was brown and it still drove ok.

This fluid was a brownish color having been in there for 200,000+ miles. I drained what I could out of the resevoir & refilled with amsoil atf. Will drive it a while & do this again a few times but it seems to be working fine. Changed tranny filter & fluid and transfer case fluid the same time, owner says it "purrs".
Thanks,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back