Amsoil announces 6% price hike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
To those concerened about " pocket change" Re-configure your cable tv package to reduce expense so you can buy some good oil for a change
smile.gif
Or skip that DD coffee run altogether and save some real cash.

OR, keep all your movie and sports channels the same and just buy SuperTech from Walmart. Your motor will not blow up from using it.
I was on the supertech syn bandwageon until my engine ALMOST blew up running it. May have been the filter ... . running the slightly larger Nissan V8 truck filter now with no issue during warm months.

GTL iso paraffin is not PAO. Real 80%+ PAO oil has always been around or over 10bucks a L for me. Motul xmax & Eco-nergy. Pentosyn. Fuchs Silkolene.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
To those concerened about " pocket change" Re-configure your cable tv package to reduce expense so you can buy some good oil for a change
smile.gif
Or skip that DD coffee run altogether and save some real cash.

OR, keep all your movie and sports channels the same and just buy SuperTech from Walmart. Your motor will not blow up from using it.

I have noticed that folks use the term" motor will not blow up" often when speaking of different wts of oil, or different brands of oil. Kinda funny.
lol.gif

It is funny. Actually the correct term is "engine will not blow up." Motors run on electricity.
wink.gif

I find myself using the term motor for an engine occasionally.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It is funny. Actually the correct term is "engine will not blow up." Motors run on electricity.
wink.gif

All gasoline engines are, by definition motors
however, all motors, are not engines

one could even make the case that an electric motor is an engine because it converts energy into mechanical motion to do work (see engine definition #4) the common thought, there is, that it is not a "machine" though, one could argue that on the definition of "machine" as well.

Full Definition of motor

1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover

2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as

a : a small compact engine

b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine

c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

3: motor vehicle; especially : automobile

Full Definition of engine

obsolete

a : ingenuity

b : evil contrivance : wile

2:
a : something used to effect a purpose : agent, instrument

b : something that produces a particular and usually desirable result

3:
a : a mechanical tool: as (1) : an instrument or machine of war (2) obsolete : a torture implement

b : machinery

c : any of various mechanical appliances —often used in combination

4: a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion; also : a mechanism or object that serves as an energy source

5: a railroad locomotive

6: computer software that performs a fundamental function especially of a larger program

Originally Posted By: meborder
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

wink.gif

All gasoline engines are, by definition motors
however, all motors, are not engines

one could even make the case that an electric motor is an engine because it converts energy into mechanical motion to do work (see engine definition #4) the common thought, there is, that it is not a "machine" though, one could argue that on the definition of "machine" as well.

Full Definition of motor

1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover

2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as

a : a small compact engine

b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine

c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

3: motor vehicle; especially : automobile

Full Definition of engine

obsolete

a : ingenuity

b : evil contrivance : wile

2:
a : something used to effect a purpose : agent, instrument

b : something that produces a particular and usually desirable result

3:
a : a mechanical tool: as (1) : an instrument or machine of war (2) obsolete : a torture implement

b : machinery

c : any of various mechanical appliances —often used in combination

4: a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion; also : a mechanism or object that serves as an energy source

5: a railroad locomotive

6: computer software that performs a fundamental function especially of a larger program

Too bad my shop teacher isn't around, he retired about 30 years ago. All I know is when I took autoshop anyone calling an engine a motor got an F for the semester. LOL

Wow! I'm surprised many are complaining about the new improved Preferred Customer program. You still get the same product discount you always did but now they are adding extra promotions and deals. Actually right now they are doing a shipping promo, $4.95 flat rate shipping on preferred customer orders until 07/05.
Maybe people are not clear on the new preferred customer program?

Originally Posted By: cronk
Wow! I'm surprised many are complaining about the new improved Preferred Customer program. You still get the same product discount you always did but now they are adding extra promotions and deals. Actually right now they are doing a shipping promo, $4.95 flat rate shipping on preferred customer orders until 07/05.

No not really, people are complaining about the price differential when compared with mainstream premium products. There is little or no perceived incremental value in purchasing Amsoil products.

The preferred customer program is just a way to get money up front prior to purchase, wherein they lower the price to "normal" (down from silly). Calling it "wholesale" is just a term to make customers feel like they are getting a "deal" or are part of a special insider group.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: cronk

No not really, people are complaining about the price differential when compared with mainstream premium products. There is little or no perceived incremental value in purchasing Amsoil products anymore

Fixed it for you; they used to have formulations that were worlds ahead of everyone else, now they are the same. Less expensive ingredients, plus price hike (and didn't LOWER prices when gas went from $5/gallon to $2/gallon) to me means trying to maximize profits rather than maintaining efforts to produce outstanding product. Not that the oils aren't good.

I was a staunch Amsoil user for many years, the extended drain was helpful for my then-driving habits and it was the best.

Last edited:
Amazing how people will dump a product for pennies....why I love the internet...
smirk.gif

Still plan to give some a try...

Know quite a few people who use their CVT fluid....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Amazing how people will dump a product for pennies....why I love the internet...
smirk.gif

Well I use their gear oil in my ECHO, but I have no real technical reason to do so. What is the advantage that you are getting by using their products?

And it's not pennies on some products, it's dollars.

smirk.gif

What I found funny was the amsoil guy telling me I could get his xl line and selling it on "Mobil 1 EP technology for only $6.xx /qt" not realizing I can get actual Mobil 1 EP for $5.xx /qt at WalMart or amazon.

I'm sure its good stuff, but the economics dont work out. Sure their SS line says up to 25k miles and the xl says up to 10k miles, but then excludes severe use such as towing or dusty conditions. Well, I live in gravel and I use my trucks to do truck things (which is why I drive a truck) so their "warranty" isn't worth squat to me. Why pay more for nothing? I can get no warranty for free.

Love the ATF and gear oils tho. Good value there.

Bottom line .. They went 12% in the wrong direction to get new customers, or at least this new customer. It's too bad, too. I'd like to use them, but I'm not made of money. Driving 25k miles a year in an expedition is not cheap to start with. Paying more for oil is not attractive to me.

smirk.gif

Well I use their gear oil in my ECHO, but I have no real technical reason to do so. What is the advantage that you are getting by using their products?

And it's not pennies on some products, it's dollars.

Same reason why people would buy a Polo Sport T shirt over a simple T shirt you might buy at Target. You might spend more for whatever reason. I can't say much, as for most,it's a big purchase, and they want to take care of it in their own way.

For example, a trans service in my Cobalt is about 30 bucks with Amsoil compared to say, Valvoline. Figure it would be like taking my car out to dinner or something....
wink.gif

That said, it's too bad it's going up.....

Originally Posted By: meborder
smirk.gif

What I found funny was the amsoil guy telling me I could get his xl line and selling it on "Mobil 1 EP technology for only $6.xx /qt" not realizing I can get actual Mobil 1 EP for $5.xx /qt at WalMart or amazon.

I'm sure its good stuff, but the economics dont work out. Sure their SS line says up to 25k miles and the xl says up to 10k miles, but then excludes severe use such as towing or dusty conditions. Well, I live in gravel and I use my trucks to do truck things (which is why I drive a truck) so their "warranty" isn't worth squat to me. Why pay more for nothing? I can get no warranty for free.

Love the ATF and gear oils tho. Good value there.

Bottom line .. They went 12% in the wrong direction to get new customers, or at least this new customer. It's too bad, too. I'd like to use them, but I'm not made of money. Driving 25k miles a year in an expedition is not cheap to start with. Paying more for oil is not attractive to me.

Amsoil still extends your drains under severe service, it's just to 15k miles or 1 year instead of 25k miles or 1 year.

You should cut them some slack in my opinion. They are the "little guy" trying to compete with oil companies who can drive them into the ground with little or no effort. No reason to pitch a fit over 6% in my opinion for a boutique product.

If you don't feel you want a boutique oil, go buy from a big oil company.

That's right! After all, Amsoil does! Where do you think they get their base oil from? They sure don't make it. They are just a blender. They get their base oil from the same suppliers as anyone else does. Mobil, Shell, et al. The big boys have no problem with Amsoil taking market share wherever they can. Amsoil still has to come to them for base stock.

Some of you guys have to put your thinking caps on. Been an Amsoil member for years. Only trust their SS oil with my almost 600hp mustang. The UOAs that I've done each year, reaffirm the quality of their product.

Maximize your 12month membership like I do. Just before mine expires, I buy a lot of product for multiple vehicles. And yea have done the over 12k mile oil change, with RP or Amsoil oil filters. If you just take a step back and use the noggen a little, you can maximize the product, membership and prices and make it quite cost effective.

Amsoil's signature series oil lives up to the claims. Get rid of the Walmart, cheap spirit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreasyGrace
Some of you guys have to put your thinking caps on. Been an Amsoil member for years. Only trust their SS oil with my almost 600hp mustang. The UOAs that I've done each year, reaffirm the quality of their product.

Maximize your 12month membership like I do. Just before mine expires, I buy a lot of product for multiple vehicles. And yea have done the over 12k mile oil change, with RP or Amsoil oil filters. If you just take a step back and use the noggen a little, you can maximize the product, membership and prices and make it quite cost effective.

Amsoil's signature series oil lives up to the claims. Get rid of the Walmart, cheap spirit.

Except for Pennzoil Ultra, apparently. That must be one cheap spirit that meets your obviously lofty expectations.

How I ever made it a combined million miles on M1 (and purchased from Walmart no less) I'll never know. Just lucky I guess.

Amsoil may do everything they claim, as may Mobil, Castrol and Pennzoil, but I am not leaving oil in for 10000 or more miles. It is a comfort thing, just like investment allocation. You go with what won't cause you to worry...it is a personal risk-taking thing. I would never tell any of you who "go long" not to do it. It just isn't for me.

Originally Posted By: GreasyGrace

Except for Pennzoil Ultra, apparently. That must be one cheap spirit that meets your obviously lofty expectations.

How I ever made it a combined million miles on M1 (and purchased from Walmart no less) I'll never know. Just lucky I guess.

Cool story bro.

Amsoil's SS line appeals to me for high hp applications. Not your puny rides, that don't see extreme oil temps. Pennzoil Ultra is a great off the shelf oil. The best off the shelf oil at the moment. But its certainly not better than Amsoil's SS 10W-30. But 2nd place isn't bad at all.

Way too many good oils out there to buy their boutique oils. Way to expensive for me. I used it in the past when I had a friend that didn't bone me, now every dealer wants to make a big profit. If they would quit the Amway marketing maybe they would sell more, and a lot more folks would use it. I've been using Mobil 1 for 20 years now and average 10,000 mile OCI , and Blackstone always says everything fine. Save the extra money for some beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back