Amanda Todd - 15 year old commits suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the people who say that the parents were out of touch, or didn't know what was going on: They may well have known. They may well have tried to help her and/or get her help. It's not always as easy as recognizing trouble and getting a troubled teen help. I know of one who has had many troubled years... Drugs, alcohol, overdoses, cutting, attempted suicides, etc. They willingly attended countless re-hab places/halfway type houses. At one point, as an (adult) the teen was even committed against their will. Can't even count how many counselors, psychologists they've seen. Some would diagnose a condition, some would not. Some would prescribe drugs to help, some would not. One common thread amongst all of them is the teen wouldn't open up to let them help. You can lead a horse to water.... At some point, the teen has to want/allow help. It was an endless loop of starting to get better, then finding more trouble. This repeating pattern continued into adulthood until the time when they stole an SUV and tried to run the responding police officer down. The ordeal ended with the person almost losing their life when the officer fired on the vehicle.

For now, the cycle has stopped and they are in prison for the next few years. We'll see if prison manages to change them. I have my doubts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Every time I read about something like this it reminds me of how much of a [censored] hole highschool was for me.

+1

Graduated from HS nearly 25 years ago. Have yet to go back for anything. Not even class reunions.

Been 14 years here, and I feel the same way. I'll never go back, why would I?

My best friend from HS is the only person I'd want to connect with, and he and I are still good friends, still speak. We don't need a reunion for that.

The people who truly mattered in your life continue on in that function after the nightmare that is High school is over. Why would I want to waste time connecting with people who were not significant in my life?

And you know, none of those people I had issues with went on to University. It was the complete opposite experience of High school, and a refreshing one.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Every time I read about something like this it reminds me of how much of a [censored] hole highschool was for me.

+1

Graduated from HS nearly 25 years ago. Have yet to go back for anything. Not even class reunions.

Been 14 years here, and I feel the same way. I'll never go back, why would I?

My best friend from HS is the only person I'd want to connect with, and he and I are still good friends, still speak. We don't need a reunion for that.

The people who truly mattered in your life continue on in that function after the nightmare that is High school is over. Why would I want to waste time connecting with people who were not significant in my life?

And you know, none of those people I had issues with went on to University. It was the complete opposite experience of High school, and a refreshing one.

I feel for this poor girl; it wouldn't surprise me if the bully was another kid in her class.

OT, I was at the gas station the other day, fueling up, and I hear some yelling so I look over. I saw a girl who I haven't seen since I got out of HS, 9 years ago. But I had gone to school with her since first grade, and she was a royal b***h to me threw out school, she was a ring leader of a royal group of b***h's who enjoyed giving me [censored] whenever they could.

Well nine years later, here she is, in a POS old Altima, wearing dirty clothing, looking like she partied hard for the past decade (which she did) and screaming at the gas station attendant because she hit the wrong grade and it cost her two extra bucks or something like that.

I just smiled and drove away, I'm glad she didn't recognize me, or if she did she didn't say anything.

Its a shame the kids don't realize that life has a way of sorting these people out. They gave me a hard time for a few years in school, now I get to watch as life gives them a hard time for the next 60 or 70 years...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed

I have been bullied all my life. I can spot a bully a mile away just by the way they look.

Me as well. REAL BAD in school. Being a nice, mild-mannered kid made me an easy target.
frown.gif

Prayers for her.

School bully's grow up and become cops. Once in uniform they continue their bullying ways on the public.

This is not just a subject of bullying. We cannot lose sight of how shortsighted the kids are. I have never flashed or been photographed nude. What does one gain by posing in a nude photo?
THIS.

Originally Posted By: chiks
This is not just a subject of bullying. We cannot lose sight of how shortsighted the kids are. I have never flashed or been photographed nude. What does one gain by posing in a nude photo?
THIS.

It doesn't matter what she did to get bullied. The bullying is still the issue. The fact it persisted after moving and changing schools...etc. She was stalked. When you are being perpetually bullied it is very easy to lose sight of the fact that you will eventually be out of that situation.

I know a pile of people that were bullied. I was bullied, my sister was bullied. She beat somebody with a chair when she snapped. The Columbine kids went full postal and just mowed everybody down. I didn't snap, but I was pretty [censored] close, almost did some things I would have seriously regretted. But in the moment, they felt very appropriate to be entertaining. Stopping the problem, what you are willing to DO to stop the problem..... I never once considered myself the issue. I had done nothing wrong to be a target. I cannot at all relate to her inclination to suicide, but I certainly understand school shootings. I know full well why they happen. I'm actually surprised we don't have more of them.

I was bullied. Ball point pens stabbed into their hands put a quick stop to it. Guess they got the point.

To avoid bullying I chose the route to fly under the radar.

Now as an adult I find that I am apparently easily missed and more than a little misanthropic.
I would have been much better off not being a year younger than everybody in my class, but at the time I just wanted out asap.

RIP Amanda.

Her Tormentors will hopefully suffer karmic retribution, and that does nobody any good in the long run as it should never have happened in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
^^^^
You are right to a point. I know of 3 people who were the worst bullies in high school who are now police officers. Bullies have this need of power and the only way they know how to get it is by belittling and harrassing people with weak or low self esteem. The problem it will never get better or go away until the school system does something to control the bullies instead of blowing hot air everytime some poor soul dies as a result of bullying. My daughter is 10 and has a bully in her class that hits and pushes around every other student in her class, yet when the principle was approached by some of the parents her response was that they were working on the problem and that everybody has a right to an education in a safe enviroment including the bully...
confused.gif

Bullies understand one thing: force. Swift, brutal, overwhelming FORCE. Unless and until one of his would-be victims beats him to a pulp, nothing will change.

THIS.

If someone wants a nude photo of me...he needs a shrink or an optometrist!

THIS.

It doesn't matter what she did to get bullied. The bullying is still the issue. The fact it persisted after moving and changing schools...etc. She was stalked. When you are being perpetually bullied it is very easy to lose sight of the fact that you will eventually be out of that situation.

I sure hope you do not mean what you write here.
Because if you do, you are basically condoning the act of taking/allowing nude pictures by people who are not ready to accept the consequences arising out of such acts.

Is the bully at fault. YES.
Is Amanda at fault? YES YES.

I know a pile of people that were bullied. I was bullied, my sister was bullied. She beat somebody with a chair when she snapped. The Columbine kids went full postal and just mowed everybody down. I didn't snap, but I was pretty [censored] close, almost did some things I would have seriously regretted. But in the moment, they felt very appropriate to be entertaining. Stopping the problem, what you are willing to DO to stop the problem..... I never once considered myself the issue. I had done nothing wrong to be a target. I cannot at all relate to her inclination to suicide, but I certainly understand school shootings. I know full well why they happen. I'm actually surprised we don't have more of them.

I was bullied too. Flew under the radar and stayed away from those idiots until I got the smarts to take them down intelligently. Now in professional life over so many years, nobody dares to bully me because I display the self confidence that deters bullies. In the event one does do so, I bit back like a scorpion. They do not even know what hit them. Interestingly one of them was a former boss of mine.

I sure hope you do not mean what you write here.
Because if you do, you are basically condoning the act of taking/allowing nude pictures by people who are not ready to accept the consequences arising out of such acts.

Is the bully at fault. YES.
Is Amanda at fault? YES YES.

Um, dude, she was like 13 at the time...

I am inclined to think that the person who bullied Amanda actually was hurt by Amanda and this was his/her way of getting back at her. viciously.

Anyways, Teach your kids to NOT do such stupid stuff.

Thank you.

Quote:
Todd explained how she and friends were playing on a camcorder and posting pictures online when she was in Grade 7. She was urged to “flash. So I did.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1270262--b-c-victim-of-cyber-bullying-commits-suicide

Another aspect that comes into the picture: Peer Pressure.
Teach your kids to not be a victim of peer pressure. Just because your "friends" urge you to "flash" on camera, doesn't mean you do it.

Bullying of this extent would not have come if this picture did not even happen. Do you get that?

you cannot leave the doors of your house wide open and expect that nobody is going to stroll through your house and enjoy your goodies in the pantry. IF you cry that somebody ate your goodies after that....

Another Mystery:

Do they know who the bully is?

In the article, She keeps referring to the bully as "he". Does that mean she knew who it was?

"Don’t know how he knew mee. It said. If you don’t put on a show for me I will send ur boobs. He knew my address, school, relatives, friends, family name.”

"My boobs were his profile pic."

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Bullies understand one thing: force. Swift, brutal, overwhelming FORCE. Unless and until one of his would-be victims beats him to a pulp, nothing will change.

Very accurate remedy.

I think that these monsters we call bullies usually won't even cease their [censored] with moderate push back (occasional punches, ect), they need to have the [censored] beaten out of them possibly so badly that a trip to the hospital is required.

Unfortunately these creatures need to be TOTALLY
DEFEATED before the torment stops for good.

The girl had problems. Seriously.

Quote:
"Amanda moved to yet another school, where, after a boy began flirting with her, a troupe of girls from her first school came and beat her up. "Kids filmed it," she writes. "I was all alone and left on the ground."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/11/amanda-todd-suicide-bullying_n_1959909.html

Why the [censored] would a troupe of girls from her former school beat her up???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back