Alternative to Mobil1 for oil burning Isuzu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo with a 3.2 DOHC. This engine is prone to burning oil (1qt/1000miles) supposedly due to piston ring design. I added Seafoam to the crankcase and switched to Mobil 1 5w30 and the oil consumption went down to about 1qt/2000 miles which was much better than running dino.

Anyway, to my question…I cannot find Mobil 1 5w30 anymore and was wondering what some of you may recommend for my vehicle. I need to change the oil now and any recommendations on a readily available oil that won’t break the bank and won’t sludge causing any increased oil usage.

I called Mobil Oil and they confirmed that distribution is lagging due to Rita and Katrina. They also informed me that 5w30 no longer has the API certification due to the shortage of the additives required for that certification.

Here are some other details:

I’m in MN, sometimes tow (2 snowmobiles or a boat), and do some mild off-road. During the week the vehicle is used for short commutes.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try thicker oil, like 10w-30. I have an old supercharged t-bird and it started burning oil and smoking. I went thicker from 5w-30 and it stopped a bit. I then added some valvoline maxlife engine protector and no more smoke. That stuff is like snot.
128.gif

My second choice after my Mobil 1 would be Chevron Supreme 5w-30. I think it is excellent for the price and will keep things clean until mobil 1 can return to normal.

I'd rather not go thicker as winter is here in MN and the oil burning is not related to too thin of an oil rather sludge formation on the rings and clogged EGR tubes. Mobil 1 used less than dino.

Granted I have the older design of the 3.2L - the SOHC rather than the DOHC, and mine does not appear to have the oil burning/or clogged ring issues; but I have been running Rotella synthetic 5w-40 with no complaints.

If I were you, I'd finish off the winter with a 5w-30 of your choice; then try the Rotella come summer, it's a HDEO for gas/diesel engines, and it WILL help to clean the rings and keep them clean.

Can't truly comment on a 5w-30 oil, as I've never really used anything but Havoline 10w-30 dino, just recently in the last 6 mnths, switched to Rotella. I attempted a short round of Havoline 5w-30 and there were some not so good noises
dunno.gif
. Don't know what, but at 150k+, I refuse to try that light of an oil again on this particular engine.

Other Isuzu owners have also tried, and some liked, the German Castrol (GC) 0w-30 synthetic oil as well - ONLY sold at Autozone.

Thanks for all the feedback, I actually was able to find some old API certified Mobil1 5w30 at NAPA.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I may try the Rotella syn come summertime as I've heard many good things.

"Ramblin", I used to have a SOHC and I ran 0 weight Mobil1 and it was quiet until the day I sold it at 130,000miles.

It could simply be the difference between the Mobil 1 versus Havoline as well - in regards to the 0w not causing noises in your past SOHC as the 5w-30 Havoline did in mine.

I've never used Mobil 1 so I can't say; and to be honest, I don't think I will, only because I have no oil leaks at 150k and I'm leary of going to a true synthetic in regards to possibly cleaning the seals too good - if you know what I mean.

What I would like to know, is if anyone else has attempted the 5w-30 Havoline dino in a SOHC Isuzu - just out of curiousity.

Ramblin,

Havoline 5w30 was what used in my old 94 SOHC. It was loud even at lower mileage. I switched to Mobil1 when I bought it at 50K miles. That's what worked so I never looked back.

That's fantastic - I mean, that's good to hear that I'm not the only one who's noticed a louder engine with the light weight Havoline.

I couldn't complain, however, about the 10w-30 or 10w-40 Havoline - they've been good.

Believe me, I wish I heard about using synthetic's when my engine had a lot less mileage. Back when I had 50k on mine, oil was something I never thought about, as it was quiet as a mouse, I couldn't ever hear it running. And I'd always used the Havoline 10w-30 in every vehicle, then, including our '91 Rodeo.

I'm glad you've had good luck with the MObil 1, that's great.

FYI - Rotella synthetic is good down to -30C as well, so it can be used as a year round oil. But I wouldn't with short winter drives, anyway.

Isn't this post deja-vu? Didn't the same question appear a couple weeks ago re: what oil to use for a consuming Isuzu?

First, use the search function...secondly, it's not the type of oil, but rather the grade. Why use a 5-30 if you have consumption? The fact that it's M-1 doesn't matter. Use a 5-40, 5-50 or 15-50 to curb consumption...or eliminate it in the first place...

spicoli- why run any synthetic if it just gets consumed? Keep your EGR and PCV plumbing clean, and run OEM PCV valves only. You need to do cylinder soaks (probably several) on the oil burner 1998+ isuzu 3.2/3.5's. LC would be my 'soak' of choice.
G/luck
Joel

I too have a 99 Isuzu Trooper 3.5L. A great truck, we call it the energizer rabbit. At 100 K it went from 1 qt / 3000 mi to about 1 qt / 1500 mi. I tried a double bout of auto -rx and it significantly increased consumption to 1 qt every 300 mi. I tried DELO for several oil changes and it did not improve it. I seem to have the best luck with a standard dino oil as Havoline and Castrol. I still use about a qt every tank or two. Oil is cheap. My Trooper has 171k on it now and it has not increased in consumption at all, passes all emission tests runs OK ( except for a bit of piston slap or knock.) I just took it on a 1100 mile trip to SD last week and it just burned oil but ran great. I have a friend who rebuilds engines for a living who says that it is a well built engine, but the ring design stinks. It is a low compression design that will not last - sorry. Keep driving it and don't worry. Oil is cheap. It will keep going.

On my 1999 3.5L Trooper I switched to 15/40 Rotella, and it cured the consumption issue. It just doesn't use oil anymore. Can't explain it, but it worked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back