Air Filter for 7th Gen Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
^nice. gotta say the uniformity on the denso is a little more appealing.
thumbsup2.gif

DSCN0248.jpg

Sorry to just post the link on the fly, but I didn't want to leave you guys hanging any longer.

I tried to show that the Made-in-Japan Denso had a more complete rubber outer gasket than the Chinese-made Mann Filter. What the photos didn't show, and I think is more important, is that the material of same was much more flexible and seemed like it would flex and fill a gap better on the Denso compared to the Mann.

I do think the Denso media is better than the Mann from feel, but that's just more fingertip dyno work and nothing scientific.

For my future knowledge, how did you put that photo directly in the post? Thanks!

^Depending on your web browser, I usually right click photos if not given an option to view larger sizes on the site I'm viewing. Then, read the menu and depending on your browser it will give options such as 'view image', 'open image in new tab', etc. Or you can try to find the image's source.

Basically, you get that new link and use it to post instead. While making a post enter the link between the following:

Picked up and installed a new OEM Honda one today.

New one is white, not marked for manufacturer (other than Honda), it does not look impressive at all. The one I took out (which was also an OEM from the same dealer) had green media and was marked "Filtech Inc".

New one is made in China. I won't buy another one unless I can get the Filtech.

Pictures tomorrow.

Wow, from the dealer? I live in metro-ATL. That totally stinks.

Man, grab an aFe Pro Dry S for your Civic. For my 92, it just came in the mail yesterday. It was awesome, I'm so inspired I'm going to just go pull it out and take pics, compare them with the K&N drop-in it replaced.

I just received my odrer of parts from Hondapartsunlimited.com and the Air Filter I ordered for my 1991 Accord is the Made in China [censored] that would made Mr. Honda spin in his grave. I paid $20 for this! p/n 17220-PT2-000 it has the white media just like the one pictured above.

^My last UOA showed a decrease in Si down into the 'less than 2 ppm / 1k miles' standard I'm going for in my app. Single digits seem possible now for extended OCIs. I'm sold on the aFe Pro Dry S for my vehicle.

Napa gold filters are now $30cdn, used to be $20 [censored]! I liked them cause theyre made by Wix. Anyone know of a cheaper filter to get? I aint spending $30 on an air filter.

Carnoobie.....do you live fairly close to the border (I understand that 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the U.S. border).

Can't you or a friend come over and purchase the filters and oil you need. Based on what I see of Canadian prices, it should worth the trip to purchase a few years oil and filters....as well as anything else you can't get up there.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Carnoobie.....do you live fairly close to the border (I understand that 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the U.S. border).

Can't you or a friend come over and purchase the filters and oil you need. Based on what I see of Canadian prices, it should worth the trip to purchase a few years oil and filters....as well as anything else you can't get up there.

Im about 6 hours from the border maybe longer.

Found out rockauto is in Ontario. Sent them an email to see what they carry for air filters.

Rockauto is a good plan. Autopartsway is another. Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with most Fram air filters, especially if you can find them at a good price (I can). It's their oil filters I don't like.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Rockauto is a good plan. Autopartsway is another. Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with most Fram air filters, especially if you can find them at a good price (I can). It's their oil filters I don't like.
wink.gif

I heard Fram is horrible for any kind of filter. And isnt the air filter much more important than the oil filter?

I suppose in many ways, the air filter is more important than the oil filter. After all, plenty of vehicles existed in the past and many small engines exist today without oil filtration. I don't see any engines without air filtration.

As for Fram, no, my view is they make excellent air filters, at least for the applications I've run across over the years. I use mostly Wix when it comes to oil filters, but I stopped buying their air filters years ago. They seemed to be a tad skimpy on the filtering medium with the round filter in my old LTD - they only way they could have used less media was to actually eliminate the pleats altogether and just wrap one strip of media around the circumference.
wink.gif

After that, I stuck to Motorcraft and Fram. That's not to say Wix air filter haven't improved. They may have. They may also be better or have been better for other applications. For mine, I was unimpressed and the Fram actually came with a cheaper price and better build. I wasn't even able to look at a current Wix for my G, since none were in stock, and I got the Fram on special order for next to nothing. I just checked - it was $12 a pop. Best price I can get for OEM is $18 a piece. I had a spare Wix air filter laying around for my Audi, but never got much of a look at it. I installed a Mann, and that was such a chore I vowed to never perform an unnecessarily early air filter change on that vehicle again. The Wix looked fine, but I never got to check its fit, or really examine the seals.

For my G, I've been satisfied with the Frams. They're sturdy enough that handling them isn't like handling a wet sponge. They're also not so rigid that they don't seal or can't be manipulated into position, either. Their sealing surfaces are nice and pliable, sealing very well, and held up very well, looking brand new after the one year interval.

I wouldn't use a low end Fram filter (XG is another animal). I wouldn't use a Fram PCV valve. I have no hesitation about using their air filters, though.

See if WIX is offered by RA and problem solved, if price is fine of course. I don't think you can go wrong with a standard paper element as long as the filter filters fine into the air box and the gasket helps seal the media at the edges AND in the filter box well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back