Round air filter- reversed air flow ok?

Because I can't leave well enough alone, I want to build a true CAI on my 06 5.3 trailblazer. My idea is to remove the massive washer fluid resavoir and build the box there. I'll use a smaller universal resavoir somewhere else.

Not wanting to re engineer the filter size, it would be easier to put the filter upright with the "intake" pointed down to a hole in the fender well. The tube will be mounted to the sealed box. The lid will hold the filter in place. I think the idea is instead of the weight of the filter hanging, it's easier to have the floor of the box hold the weight. Yes, they make $350 kits I could buy, but I like building my own stuff and already have most of the materials.

With that said- is there any reason the filter couldn't work in reverse? With a new filter of course.

Attachments

• 20231217_132053.jpg
    20231217_132053.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 25
I'd expect the filter media to work about as well flowing the other direction. Some filters might have a multi-layered media design that works best in a certain direction, but I doubt that's the case for this filter.

The metal screen would normally prevent larger debris like leaves and insects from getting crammed into the pleats. If you use the filter in reverse, I would install a screen on the intake tube to help prevent the filter from clogging as quickly. I've installed a fibreglass insect screen across the intake on my car and it's made a huge difference in how quickly the filter clogs up with debris.

A big consideration with a custom airbox is how it affects the MAF sensor reading. If the sensor is far enough downstream from the airbox, it should be fine.

Back