After Droid 1, can't find a phone I like

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother just got a new Nexus (VZW).

I'm pretty smitten to HTC phones, and HTC's Sense UI. I have an Incredible 2 that I got in the fall, at a pretty decent price because it's not a 4G phone. I suffered through two Motorola Droid 2 phones prior (one replaced under warranty) and my wife has a Droid 2 that we have to reset every few months because the software goes flaky. To say that we're done with Motorola phones for a while is probably an understatement.

Were I buying a phone today, I must agree, that Nexus with Android 4.0 looks too good to pass up.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Originally Posted By: Donald
Consumer Reports says that AT&T is basically the worst network in almost every major city. Its hard to beat Verizon;s network. CDMA is a better technology anyway.

AT&T's 3G is WCDMA and extension of CDMA allowing you to use internet and voice at the same time.

In 2G, CDMA is better than GSM due to more efficient bandwidth usage and handover between towers.

In 3G however, WCDMA that AT&T and T Mobile uses are based on the CDMA type technology and is different from GSM / GPRS, and is faster (hence cheaper for the carrier) than EVDO (Verizon). That's why AT&T's 3G data network is faster. It is also why AT&T and TMo let you get on data and voice at the same time (because it is connected to both networks at the same time, cost bandwidth and $)

Some like T Mobile even claim their 3.5G (HSPA+) is 4G (shame on you).

All will be moot very soon when everyone and their mom jump into LTE (the real 4G).

Sprint is a darn good network and shares CDMA with Verizon.

T-Mo and AT&T need to go away.

Not sure how AT&T doesnt get sued with its "Great network" commercials........ its pretty bad, AT&T.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP

Not sure how AT&T doesnt get sued with its "Great network" commercials........ its pretty bad, AT&T.

Everyone else in the US uses CDMA (including Metro PCS / Boost / Cricket / Virgin which is Sprint network).

AT&T aren't that bad but it really depends on your location. I've been with them since they were Cingular for 11 years and am happy with them, especially their family plan with roll over minutes.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: 45ACP

Everyone else in the US uses CDMA (including Metro PCS / Boost / Cricket / Virgin which is Sprint network).

AT&T aren't that bad but it really depends on your location. I've been with them since they were Cingular for 11 years and am happy with them, especially their family plan with roll over minutes.

Same here, had them 11 years. No problems in this area with coverage or service.

I just bought an iphone 4S. Looked long and hard at the samsung S2. Wanted to like it given its thinness and supposed higher level of ruggedness.

The screen was nowhere near as nice, and for anyone that wants to keep a phone in a pants or shirt pockert, 4.3" phones are ridiculous, IMO size wise.

The screen was bright, but not as sharp and nice as the apple retina. Low light photos were far more blurry than those taken under the same conditions with the 4s. I liked the larger font size, but the way that things like the browser was set up (maybe customizable) was just not space efficient.

Oh well. If they made the galaxy s2 in a 3.5" form factor with better screen (sharpness, not just bold colors), IMO it would be a winner.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
and for anyone that wants to keep a phone in a pants or shirt pockert, 4.3" phones are ridiculous, IMO size wise.

Big +1 on this. Most of these newer smartphones are going way overboard with the screen sizes lately, trading nice screens for portability. I hope I can still find one with a 3.7" screen next year when I'm ready to upgrade my Droid 2.

This is why I actually like the iphone 4s, which we recently got (got the 2nd one for free, as we had a bunch of Verizon discounts!), it still has a big enough screen, but not too big to be bulky...

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
This is why I actually like the iphone 4s, which we recently got (got the 2nd one for free, as we had a bunch of Verizon discounts!), it still has a big enough screen, but not too big to be bulky...

Better watch out, some on here will flame you for saying anything good about an apple product. After all, something "equivalent" is available cheaper from brand x.

...running Apple since 85. No modern hipster trendy user here.

I upgraded my wife to an iPhone 4S from a iPhone 3GS in November. I have been playing with the 3GS since then.

Well, I bit the bullet and left Sprint and my Old Trusty Palm Treo for AT&T today. Will I miss it? The Palm Treo maybe. Sprint? Not one bit.

Jim

Posting this from my Galaxy Nexus... 'nuff said
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back