After Droid 1, can't find a phone I like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in November of 2009 I was done dealing with AT&T's horrid network in Chicago so I gladly paid an ETF, sold my iPhone 3G, and snapped up a Motorola Droid. It was a phenomenal device that I knew I had to own once I played with it. I bought it the day it came out. Two years later it is dying a slow death. So after months of waiting, I went to a VZW store today and tried a Galaxy Nexus for myself since it felt like the logical "upgrade" from the OG Droid. It was very underwhelming with its mediocre build quality (too plasticky) and ICS just didn't blow me away.

I'm really at a crossroads on which phone to select because I feel like nothing out these days can hold a candle to my OG Droid. I'm even looking outside of Verizon at this point even though I'm nervous about that being a "downgrade" in terms of network quality.

The only thing that strikes my fancy at the moment is the Skyrocket on AT&T. Tried one at the store and the phone felt solid. Worried their network will suck just as I remember but an old college friend who is a store manager for them said they've really made some big strides lately.

Still considering the Galaxy Nexus merely because Verizon's network has been so good, and because so many people I know are on Verizon. The phone itself is pretty forgettable and not worth the price, especially since I'd need the extended battery.

The Droid 4 is coming very soon but I absolutely loathe Motoblur. I hope the phone is still metal+glass instead of the Bionic's cheesy plastic. It's the only other phone I'm actually interested in seeing.

So, hivemind, what course do I need to take? Priorities in a phone are build quality, RF performance (call quality and ability to hold onto weak signals), and battery life. AOSP or ease of flashing a non-bloated ROM is the other must-have.

I love my iPhone. Form factor and operation is great. Apparently the Samsung galaxy II is thinner by a fraction of a mm though.

I was staying at the Drake for a week, and was between IIT, Oak St. Beach and of course the Mich Ave/Mag mile/ loop area. AT&T was just fine.

Brother is there now between downtown and loyola up north, no complaints.

In no apologist for AT&T, and experienced issues here and there... But given that I have both carriers and do data on both, IMO they are more or less the same.

My wife needs an upgrade, so we will be shopping tomorrow/Monday. I'm going to give the Samsung a good look. Will see.

My connection to AT&T is that my old college roommate is a store manager and he can be very "frank" about it when he needs to be. He admits that two years ago their networks were garbage and completely overwhelmed because of the iPhone and iPhone 3G. Now that LTE is available, it shifts a lot of the capacity. He maintains that it is far better than it used to be.

Though I will not be going back to an iPhone...I prefer Android now. Had the 3G for a while and had an iPad through my old job. Fun but can't see myself using it again.

If you can get past the cheesy plastic back, I wouldn't discount the Bionic. The "don't call it Motoblur" interface has no real impact on the phone speed in actual use, and although I wanted to dislike it, it's grown on me. I could see it being an issue on a slower phone. With the last update, I think pretty much every issue that came with the phone has been resolved.

Then again, I just got this phone a week ago after living with Windows Mobile for the last 3 years, so maybe my standards are just really low... I thought about holding out for the Nexus, but I didn't want to go though any growing pains with ICS. I figure the Bionic is about as "mature" as things get in the phone world. Battery life has been good, and I'm on 4G 24/7. Call quality has been solid as well.

I think carriers are probably a regional thing, but I have a friend w/AT&T who lives a mile from me and I swear she loses every 3rd call when she calls me from home. This was why I left them years ago, and at least around here it hasn't improved.

No Swype rules out the Iphone for me.

Software shouldn't be too much of an issue since we've got XDA and awesome developers. As for hardware that is different..... For example:

I really like my phone, the Galaxy S (the first one) phone from AT&T. It's thin, the battery cover is aluminum and has like an extra lock deal to hold the cover on. My friend has the Epic from Sprint which is another Galaxy S phone. His has a slide out physical keyboard, two cameras, and flash (which I don't). However the battery cover is very cheap and plasticticky and overall build is not the best in my opinion.

In conclusion maybe search around XDA and see what the guys want (they usually have a great idea on the "next big thing".) If they are hyping it then maybe that will steer you in the right direction.

I have a Galaxy S2 and really like it, but it doesn't have the physical keyboard that your Droid has.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I have a Galaxy S2 and really like it, but it doesn't have the physical keyboard that your Droid has.

Meh, I'm fine without it.

For all the reaveling I do, I cant say that I see a big difference.

The main one is that out in the boonies, I have slightly better chance of having a "3g" signal on VZ than AT&T. Not relevant to the OP.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Consumer Reports says that AT&T is basically the worst network in almost every major city. Its hard to beat Verizon;s network. CDMA is a better technology anyway.

AT&T's 3G is WCDMA and extension of CDMA allowing you to use internet and voice at the same time.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Consumer Reports says that AT&T is basically the worst network in almost every major city. Its hard to beat Verizon;s network. CDMA is a better technology anyway.

AT&T's 3G is WCDMA and extension of CDMA allowing you to use internet and voice at the same time.

In 2G, CDMA is better than GSM due to more efficient bandwidth usage and handover between towers.

In 3G however, WCDMA that AT&T and T Mobile uses are based on the CDMA type technology and is different from GSM / GPRS, and is faster (hence cheaper for the carrier) than EVDO (Verizon). That's why AT&T's 3G data network is faster. It is also why AT&T and TMo let you get on data and voice at the same time (because it is connected to both networks at the same time, cost bandwidth and $)

Some like T Mobile even claim their 3.5G (HSPA+) is 4G (shame on you).

All will be moot very soon when everyone and their mom jump into LTE (the real 4G).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

In 2G, CDMA is better than GSM due to more efficient bandwidth usage and handover between towers.

In 3G however, WCDMA that AT&T and T Mobile uses are based on the CDMA type technology and is different from GSM / GPRS, and is faster (hence cheaper for the carrier) than EVDO (Verizon). That's why AT&T's 3G data network is faster. It is also why AT&T and TMo let you get on data and voice at the same time (because it is connected to both networks at the same time, cost bandwidth and $)

Some like T Mobile even claim their 3.5G (HSPA+) is 4G (shame on you).

All will be moot very soon when everyone and their mom jump into LTE (the real 4G).

Don't forget AT&T did the hspa+ as 4G as well.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
When will true 4g really be available to every customer across the US?

I think even 2G isn't available to every customer across the US.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
When will true 4g really be available to every customer across the US?

I think even 2G isn't available to every customer across the US.

LTE is added one city at a time right now by AT&T and Verizon. I'd say we'll see a boom in the next 2 years for the demand and deployment.

Verizon sold most of its rural landline and DSL and plan to come back to the market with LTE later.

Don't forget AT&T did the hspa+ as 4G as well.

Shame on them too.

Last edited:
If you're sticking with Android and Verizon just go with the Galaxy Nexus and call it a day. Brand new, great specs, and a PURE Android experience. No bloatware, no stupid hardware manufacture added software skins, just the real Android experience that many Android phones lack. On top of all that, it has Android 4.0 on it, which is supposed to make huge improvements to the operating system overall. I wouldn't expect to see another phone to have 4.0 until at least March.

You'll receive all the updates immediately from Google. If I was set on Android and on VZW I wouldn't think twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back