Advice on WIFES ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
My one and only day in traffic court was an eye opener. A couple dozen "offenders" were there. The prosecutor addressed the crowd and said they intended to use the full power of the court against anyone who was planning on taking their case to trial. And they added they would levy the strongest fines and punishment possible. She then said for those who didn't want to go to court to please stand up and shuffle to the side. Nearly everyone in the room got up immediately and moved away...me included. The hanging judge was in session...lol.

And thats the whole problem with the U.S. Justice system.

Excellent evidence supporting the FACT that traffic "enforcement" is about revenue streams.

My one and only day in traffic court was an eye opener. A couple dozen "offenders" were there. The prosecutor addressed the crowd and said they intended to use the full power of the court against anyone who was planning on taking their case to trial. And they added they would levy the strongest fines and punishment possible. She then said for those who didn't want to go to court to please stand up and shuffle to the side. Nearly everyone in the room got up immediately and moved away...me included. The hanging judge was in session...lol.

So you're found guilty of the offense and pay the fine on the ticket. What more can they do to you?

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Some of you have no idea about being a partnership lol search her phone .....ect wow! it's wrong but to search her phone and sit her down and talk to her like a child isn't a proper way to treat your wife.

This x 100

Yup.

I wonder how many of the keyboard warriors suggesting this would actually do it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Perhaps going without a car for a month or two (or more) will teach her that her irresponsible, childish behavior behind the wheel has consequences.

Heck Pop,then Ram might have to be the taxi and drive her around everywhere she needs to go! Then he gets punished too by his own punishment haha! Man I HATE having to drive someone around all over the place! :p

Originally Posted By: dishdude

So you're found guilty of the offense and pay the fine on the ticket. What more can they do to you?

If you go to court I would think additional charges could be added, fines changed, all court costs assigned if you lose, etc. I don't put anything past our judicial system. You'll also have an "X" on your back and car for all future "potential" offenses.

On my particular ticket the officer said he was doing me a favor by putting down at a lower speed (62 mph) than I was actually doing (67). Couldn't he present the original speed posted by radar and increase the potential fine? In fact the officer targeted me that day on that stretch of highway. 99% of the drivers on that road go faster during the day than I was flagged for. I actually tested the road one week on my way to and from work. Out of approx 100 vehicles I didn't see one (except me) actually going the posted 55 speed limit. In fact at the 55 mph posted limit I was a hazard to all the traffic around me trying to go 65-80. But I was duty bound to follow the law because I was now a marked "offender." I drove that highway every day for 19 years.

And to those who say you can't get 2 tickets at once, I did that very thing (so the motorcycle cop said) back when I was 18. I did go through a yellow light change in a hospital zone that must have attracted their attention. I can't say if it was red once I was under it. My speed was slow. The cop didn't even come up on me for another 2 lights, nor did I ever see him. All of a sudden I see the lights flashing and I start pulling over while in a state of panic....right as another light was going yellow. He gigged me for 2 out of 3 "red" lights.

Being 18 years old and on my Dad's policy I paid the $15x2 fine...that was 1972. He never mentioned it to me so I don't think he ever found out. That wouldn't have been fun.

Just my opinion, but I don't think 2 tickets is the end of the world? I'm not sure but I think in IL you can do traffic school for the first couple of tickets and the insurance doesn't find out.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

When I sat through traffic court here in Maryland there were a couple of people who were found guilty and got a stiffer penalty than what it would have been if they had just paid the ticket.

did she "leave late" but was trying to get there on time? I know a bunch of women who do not allow travel time, they think like Star trek, you leave one place and materialize somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Excellent evidence supporting the FACT that traffic "enforcement" is about revenue streams.

The cops and judges have to. They get pensions for life.
grin2.gif

No officer is required to show her it. Plus, radars constantly scan for speed, so her speed only pops up for a quick second until it locates another speed.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
No officer is required to show her it. Plus, radars constantly scan for speed, so her speed only pops up for a quick second until it locates another speed.

Never ask them to prove how that that number is actually associated with your vehicle.

You're going to have a bad time.
wink.gif

BC.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Well....first of all....your wife sounds like a very dangerous driver. I think the speed she was going made it an almost criminal act. What if she would have killed somebody because she was going 90mph?? That's MORE than excessive. Her judgement is reprehensible. Frankly, to try to get out of a ticket under these circumstances is pompous. She deserves a night in jail in my opinion.

I'm sorry I say those things about your wife....but recklessly endangering other people like that truly upsets me and I think the book needs to be thrown at people like that. You and her have discussed what she did and admitted what she did....so now just deal with the consequences instead of trying to see if you can get away with it because the courts are crowded and the cop might be busy.

My guess is that she will speed like that again.

Though I agree she's not being punished I am so yes if the fine can be reduced that would be great I'm innocent in all of this and don't want to be screwed because of her.

Well sir, if the judge won't lecture her big time and give her community service or force her to take a safe driver education class....then after all this settles, you should sit her rear end down on a chair in front of you...and give her a VERY serious piece of your mind.
Otherwise...if she continues to drive like this, you'll not only be SCREWED because of her actions...but an innocent person can lose a life or be injured by her. And guess what happens to your wife? Prison.

I used to rack up a lot of tickets , had my license suspended kept driving and got caught without a license. People don't go to prison for speeding tickets

You are one of the most out of touch people I've seen. Well there are actually a hand full of you here. I'm starting to wonder seriously if maybe you are Taliban. Or isol?

Always take tickets to court. They are overwhelmed and will reduce it without questions. Never never drop the money in the mail.

In big cities people run around 80 on average. 90 is really nothing. The way to cause accidents is to drive 65 and stuff things up.

Last edited:
A bit late to the party here, but when I was sitting in traffic court neither I nor the prosecutors had time to try extremely minor offenses like speeding(with the exception of school and work zones as well as urban surface streets).

Our uniform citations had a check box marked ATTN; if the box was checked by the officer it meant that he/she wanted input into the resolution of the case- if it wasn't checked it meant he/she didn't care how we disposed of it. If the defendant was halfway reasonable we'd amend down, defer, dismiss, or send them to traffic school.

We'd run though a couple hundred cases in under two hours and most people weren't that unhappy with how we resolved them- particularly on the last docket before Christmas, when all the miscreants were called down front and asked to pledge that they would be good drivers- after which their tickets were dismissed.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Always take tickets to court. They are overwhelmed and will reduce it without questions. Never never drop the money in the mail.

Try it up here. In a small town, they may reduce it if you give a good sob story. If you do it in the city, they will add to your fine, significantly, just for wasting the court's time. There's a cashier up front in the courthouse who makes substantially less than the judge. The judge will make sure you go to the cashier next time.

The city I live in has had red light traffic cameras for years.

They are taking them down this week, because the only revenue was going to the camera light companies, also "public safety" was not improved at all.

Thirdly, Texas law will not allow red light camera tickets to be legally enforceable, so people were just not paying them with no consequences.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Try it up here. In a small town, they may reduce it if you give a good sob story. If you do it in the city, they will add to your fine, significantly, just for wasting the court's time. There's a cashier up front in the courthouse who makes substantially less than the judge. The judge will make sure you go to the cashier next time.

I'm sorry dude, but Canadians don't scare anyone, especially in the rural areas

They're wicked nice. I got stopped once for doing 80 something, what's that about 140km and the guy shot the [censored] for an few minutes and said have a good time. Said to pass back by on the way home and he'd take me jigging for cod.

It's not about scaring anyone.
wink.gif
I'm just saying you don't want to go to a judge in the city and hope to get your fine decreased by appearing in court. He'll make sure you don't want to save a stamp next time.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's not about scaring anyone.
wink.gif
I'm just saying you don't want to go to a judge in the city and hope to get your fine decreased by appearing in court. He'll make sure you don't want to save a stamp next time.

I was never irritated by people showing up; we always cut them more than enough slack if they were polite and reasonable. That said, if someone acted like a jerk then all bets were off. One time a guy mailed in a ticket payment along with a terse note explaining that he was innocent but that the system was rigged and everyone was crooked. I had the clerk refuse payment and sent an order requiring his appearance because I couldn't take money from an innocent man. Boy, he was really steamed after that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back