Advice on WIFES ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT: I wondered how his PT was burning 1 qt / 1500 miles as he mentioned in another thread. Now I know.

Boy o boy your not kidding!! Believe me everyone I'm [censored] if because of nothing else the pt is a good car and she treats it like [censored]. Or because she drives like an idiot and could kill someone.

Check your States traffic laws there are loopholes built into most States traffic laws so cops and other officials don't get jammed up fixing tickets for friends and family members.. Things have changed since computers came into play but there are still ways to play the game..

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Well....first of all....your wife sounds like a very dangerous driver. I think the speed she was going made it an almost criminal act. What if she would have killed somebody because she was going 90mph?? That's MORE than excessive. Her judgement is reprehensible. Frankly, to try to get out of a ticket under these circumstances is pompous. She deserves a night in jail in my opinion.

I'm sorry I say those things about your wife....but recklessly endangering other people like that truly upsets me and I think the book needs to be thrown at people like that. You and her have discussed what she did and admitted what she did....so now just deal with the consequences instead of trying to see if you can get away with it because the courts are crowded and the cop might be busy.

My guess is that she will speed like that again.

Though I agree she's not being punished I am so yes if the fine can be reduced that would be great I'm innocent in all of this and don't want to be screwed because of her.

Well sir, if the judge won't lecture her big time and give her community service or force her to take a safe driver education class....then after all this settles, you should sit her rear end down on a chair in front of you...and give her a VERY serious piece of your mind.
Otherwise...if she continues to drive like this, you'll not only be SCREWED because of her actions...but an innocent person can lose a life or be injured by her. And guess what happens to your wife? Prison.

It varies state by state on whether passing on the right on the highway is illegal or not. For a 3 lane highway where a road hog is driving the speed limit or less and refusing to "stay right" it's typically not illegal to pass on the right to get by them.

Even on 2 lane highways there are states like NY where they do allow passing on the right if it is safe to do so within reason. Someone driving 0-10 mph under the speed limit in one of the left hand lanes while passing on opportunities to move back right is such an example. It's also against the law to not keep right except to pass.

What can happen when driver's decide to drive too slow in the left lane. And this particular incident is a lulu.

Road rage - lane hogging - passing on the right - ends up in a crash

I was driving 45 miles to my destination on Thanksgiving day and the left lane of I-95 was full of jamokes doing 60-65 mph. The bulk of traffic was going 70-75 mph when things were clear. There was lots of passing on the right and plenty of cars doing 80-85 mph.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The cop didn't show her the radar? If she takes it to court,It'll get throw out.

She didn't ask to see it but no he didn't show her.
She did say she was doing 80 but not 90 but he said she was wrong.

I hate to tell you this ram_man, but you're about to find out that early PT Cruisers were not accurate with their speed.

My wife's 2001 PT Cruiser, with the stock 15 inch wheels and stock size tires was always reading lower than the actual speed. She had a fairly bad habit of having conversations with police officers about how fast she was actually travelling.

A few times I have put a GPS into her car, and watched the dashboard read quite a bit lower than the GPS for vehicle speed. 45 mph on the dash typically was 49 to 52 mph.

You might want to take the car out for a drive and compare the gps on your phone with the readout on the dashboard at various speeds.

BC.

Here's my advice, she needs to thank the cop for not arresting her.

Thanksgiving weekend is one of the deadliest weekends on the roads and living in TX I have learned all too well how quickly lives can be shattered because of drunk driving. Texas holds the record for that.

Your wife probably doesn't have any clue how fast she topped out at when she made that maneuver. Sure, the speedometer probably did read 80mph when she happened to glance at it, right before she went 90mph. +/- 5 mph for radar accuracy. Did she ever stop to think that maybe those cars she aggressively passed had families traveling back from Thanksgiving weekend? Can you imagine if there was something in the road and another car swerved into her lane just as she flew by at 90 MPH? These types of things can and DO happen and they can be completely avoided. She endangered herself and everybody else around her.

I carry a lot of precious cargo in my vehicles man. Family, friends, pets, all of which cannot be replaced. I had a friend get hit head on in an accident on Thanksgiving day this Thursday! So please stop. Sometimes it's best to own up to mistakes, learn from them, and try to better yourself.

Pay the tickets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stower17
Here's my advice, she needs to thank the cop for not arresting her.

Thanksgiving weekend is one of the deadliest weekends on the roads and living in TX I have learned all too well how quickly lives can be shattered because of drunk driving. Texas holds the record for that.

Your wife probably doesn't have any clue how fast she topped out at when she made that maneuver. Sure, the speedometer probably did read 80mph when she happened to glance at it, right before she went 90mph. +/- 5 mph for radar accuracy. Did she ever stop the think that maybe those cars she aggressively passed had families traveling back from Thanksgiving weekend? Can you imagine if there was something in the road and another car swerved into her lane just as she flew by at 90 MPH? These types of things can and DO happen and they can be completely avoided. She endangered herself and everybody else around her.

I carry a lot of precious cargo in my vehicles man. Family, friends, pets, all of which cannot be replaced. I had a friend get hit head on in an accident on Thanksgiving day this Thursday! So please stop. Sometimes it's best to own up to mistakes, learn from them, and try to better yourself.

Pay the tickets.

Very well said stower.....I could not agree more. I really wish more people would realize the serious nature of driving recklessly. Tens of thousand of people die every single year in car accidents. Many of those people are 100% innocent of doing anything wrong.
It's so sad.

Last edited:
Plan on showing up - call the court and be nice to the person on the phone and give them some excuse to move the appearance date back a week or so. This hopefully will ensure that the cop doesn't show up. It's worth a try!

Once again....I agree but I'm the one paying it and I don't want to pay more than I have to. She should be punished but that's now how it's going to work. And it's Christmas time and I'm trying to buy kids presents ect and be off work and then she pulls this!! Believe me everyone I'm very upset . I had two people last week I have known since I was a kid die in a car wreck they made a pass in a no passing zone and hit oncoming car head on. I used to drive fast and careless but have grown up. I'll admit I still do 75-80 on the highway at times but that's it and I know it's not right but at that speed if someone wants to pass me I promptly move.

Would it be possible to talk to the prosecutor on the phone and plead with him and do it that way? Then going to court the courthouse is almost 2 hours away.

I'm not sure of the process in your state but from what I have learned from friends in my state you can pay the ticket, then do defensive driving courses online to keep the ticket off your record and insurance. I definitely understand that Christmas is coming and you have to buy the kiddos gifts
smile.gif

Whatever process your state has they are only going to be interested in what she has to say, not you.

Glad everyone is okay and hopefully she has learned the severity of the circumstance. Cops are looking for drunk drivers this weekend so the fact she wasn't drunk probably saved her from going to jail. Count your blessings. Have a safe Christmas and maybe think about that new 2016 Malibu with that teenage driver tattle tale device
smile.gif

Last edited:
Can't she go to court without a lawyer and just tell them what she would like ?

Yes. Dress very well be cordigal and fine will be reduced likely. You can't tell the judge what you want but can explain yourself apologetically.

Well....first of all....your wife sounds like a very dangerous driver. I think the speed she was going made it an almost criminal act. What if she would have killed somebody because she was going 90mph?? That's MORE than excessive. Her judgement is reprehensible. Frankly, to try to get out of a ticket under these circumstances is pompous. She deserves a night in jail in my opinion.

I'm sorry I say those things about your wife....but recklessly endangering other people like that truly upsets me and I think the book needs to be thrown at people like that. You and her have discussed what she did and admitted what she did....so now just deal with the consequences instead of trying to see if you can get away with it because the courts are crowded and the cop might be busy.

Though I agree she's not being punished I am so yes if the fine can be reduced that would be great I'm innocent in all of this and don't want to be screwed because of her.

Well sir, if the judge won't lecture her big time and give her community service or force her to take a safe driver education class....then after all this settles, you should sit her rear end down on a chair in front of you...and give her a VERY serious piece of your mind.
Otherwise...if she continues to drive like this, you'll not only be SCREWED because of her actions...but an innocent person can lose a life or be injured by her. And guess what happens to your wife? Prison.

this.
from reading your posts the last few months, your life appears to be a snafu situation.this thread proves it.
your wife drives like a maniac, and, if it doesn't stop,natural selection will make you a widower,and innocent people will die. do NOT let the kids in the car with her.

you ask if you can talk to the prosecutor on the phone.you're not thinking clearly, since emotion clouds judgement. not even 'prone would ask such a question.
sit back, and have a drink. you could use it.good luck.

I want to hear more about how your boss broke your finger.

my boss broke my finger and now I'm at the mercy of the workers comp people.....terrific!

Originally Posted By: yeti

this.
from reading your posts the last few months, your life appears to be a snafu situation.this thread proves it.
your wife drives like a maniac, and, if it doesn't stop,natural selection will make you a widower,and innocent people will die. do NOT let the kids in the car with her.

you ask if you can talk to the prosecutor on the phone.you're not thinking clearly, since emotion clouds judgement. not even 'prone would ask such a question.
sit back, and have a drink. you could use it.good luck.

I'm thinking very clearly I asked if she could talk to the prosecutor on the phone and talk to him before driving all that way and wasting courtroom time.

I've always been told to ask to see it and I've always been showed. How else do they prove you were guilty? They can't just make up a random speed and say you were doing it.

Wrong. Some states allow them to make an estimate using their judgment. No kidding. No radar. No laser. Ask me how I know?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I want to hear more about how your boss broke your finger.

my boss broke my finger and now I'm at the mercy of the workers comp people.....terrific!

Why? It has nothing to do with the thread. But basically he slipped while holding a wheel my job was to but the bolts in to hold the wheel he slipped and dropped the wheel and it crushed my finger between the Hub and wheel.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
It varies state by state on whether passing on the right on the highway is illegal or not. For a 3 lane highway where a road hog is driving the speed limit or less and refusing to "stay right" it's typically not illegal to pass on the right to get by them.

Even on 2 lane highways there are states like NY where they do allow passing on the right if it is safe to do so within reason. Someone driving 0-10 mph under the speed limit in one of the left hand lanes while passing on opportunities to move back right is such an example. It's also against the law to not keep right except to pass.

What can happen when driver's decide to drive too slow in the left lane. And this particular incident is a lulu.

Road rage - lane hogging - passing on the right - ends up in a crash

I was driving 45 miles to my destination on Thanksgiving day and the left lane of I-95 was full of jamokes doing 60-65 mph. The bulk of traffic was going 70-75 mph when things were clear. There was lots of passing on the right and plenty of cars doing 80-85 mph.

Pedantics don't work. The internet is not real life.

Even if it's legal to pass on the right; it's pretty easy for them to just recategorize the violation as an unsafe pass. That's on the books and you are done.

Last edited:
Ixnay the workmans comp and go back to work?

I've worked with more than one broken finger, its not fun but at the time I was putting my wife through an expensive college degree while providing for two young children. No way in [censored] I'd have missed a day of work over that.

In all honesty, I don't know why YOU should be concerned with paying her fines. I understand perfectly that with marriage we assume each others debts but this one would be on her if I was in this situation. It was a reckless offense and if you bail her out she will likely do it again. I realize it's alot of money but if it comes out of her paycheck it may be the best way to prevent this or something worse from happening again. She can ask about paying the fine in a couple of installments, I know its been done before.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
I'm thinking very clearly I asked if she could talk to the prosecutor on the phone and talk to him before driving all that way and wasting courtroom time. [/quote]

this is funny.when have you ever heard of a court case decision being made "on the phone" ? lol.some people just don't know when to stop talking.
hint, hint -- that time would be now.
I repeat, ram -- have a drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back