Advice on travelling on I-95 south

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on thursday, we will be leaving Saratoga NY to go to disney. We will be leaving about 5:00-5:30 in the afternoon, and plan on driving straight through. It is 1270 miles total, estimated at 21 hours without stops. We will probably go roughly 300-350 miles between fill ups, and will probably average between 70-75 where the limit is 65. There are three of us, so we will switch. We figure I will drive first, and if I drive a whole fill up that will put us roughly around Washington DC at roughly 10 at night. Does anyone have any advice for travelling on 95? Big speed traps? Places where the speed limit drops down to 55, etc? Stretches we should have a full tank of gas before going into?

Last edited by a moderator:
Take 87S to 287 to the Garden State Pwky, then to the New Jersey Tpk (I-95) Just be careful of your speed in Virginia, they can arrest you for speeding. When traveling to Florida from New England
I usually do 75-80mph, but when going through VA 70-75 max. Then back up to 80 when you hit NC. Continue on I-95 till you hit Daytona Beach, and Take I-4 into Orlando. I'd also bring a GPS for getting around down there, and an ezpass for tolls.
Let us know how it turns out.

Justin

Yup we got GPS, and EZ-Pass so all set there. I won't exceed 72 myself the whole time, I'll let mom and dad know about virginia. Even my dad probably won't do much over 75 most of the way. Thanks for the advice guys it's much appreciated.

Virginia is worst in my experience but all states are looking for REVENUE so be careful. If you stay with the pack at 7 or 8 mph over you should be OK.

Radar detectors are illegal in VA.

State troopers are often posted in the medians between the MD state line and the tunnels going through Baltimore. Sometimes south of the tunnels too.

If traffic north of Baltimore starts to back up, feel free to dump off and take I-895, the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Throughway instead of 95S to the Ft. McHenry tunnel. The Harbor Tunnel will dump you back on 95 in a few miles for the same toll.

Be careful in Georgia. Lots of construction south of Savannah. The "revenue agents" will burn you a new one in the construction zones and they will be there waiting. I would try to go through this area during daylight hours. Be careful and enjoy Disney.

Also, south of DC, once you get off the beltway and on 95 proper again, try the middle "high occupancy" lanes if they are open south bound. No trucks and the police tend to sit along the regular lanes of 95. This gives you about 25 miles of good cruising. Also, go right through Richmond rather than taking the ring road to the east. Limit is 55 but is saves you about 15 miles and is faster, particularly at night.

And don't forget to stop at "South of the Border" and buy a T-shirt!

I would not drive to Disney. There's too much to see there and there's little need for a car. Now if you're touring Orlando and hitting up all the other resort distractions (Sea World, etc.) ..then, sure. My rental car took me from the rental agency to my Disney hotel ..and back to the rental agency.

Most of the Georgia highway work is well south of Savannah. Once you pass Georgia's Exit 87, start looking for a rest stop and make sure you take a last minute restroom break and get some snacks. It's possible to get hung up in the I-95 traffic as you are approaching Brunswick. One you pass Brunswick, however, you should be all clear the rest of the interstate into Florida.

Once you hit Florida you're on your own. In my experience, the traffic through Jacksonville is usually not that bad, but it is a big city and will take you a little time until you are on the other side.

Vic

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I would take it easy in Georgia.

I don't know about that. Even with their Super Speeder law in place, everyone goes 10 MPH over in Atlanta.

I stand out with my TX plates and legal speed.

Originally Posted By: chief
Be careful in Georgia. Lots of construction south of Savannah. The "revenue agents" will burn you a new one in the construction zones and they will be there waiting. I would try to go through this area during daylight hours. Be careful and enjoy Disney.

+1...Georgia recently passed a law enabling the State Troopers to stop and write tickets for any one going even 1 to 3 mph over, so the old "5 or 10 mph over is OK" doesn't work there anymore. And they sure will get you for going any faster over the limit too. There is a lot of construction south of Savannah, and the speeding fines are doubled in the construction zones in both Georgia and Florida. Plus any State Trooper or other officer will stop a car with out of state plates in a heartbeat.

I don't know about I-95 here in Florida, I don't get over to that side of the state very often. What I have seen of it from Jacksonville north to the Georgia state line, there were not too many Fla troopers clocking speeders. I guess it has been about the same as any other state, but they have stepped up their air patrols, so even if you don't see the officer clock you with his radar/laser gun, you could still get popped for a heavy speeding fine. Which, by the way the State of Florida recently passed a law that doubled all moving violations and speeding fines, not just the fines in construction zones. You can take I-295 and skirt around Jacksonville and avoid their traffic too.

I would just set your cruise on 70 or whatever the posted speed limit is and enjoy the scenery. You'll get here just as fast and save a little fuel in the process. When you get to Orlando, take that GPS and its mounting bracket and put it in the trunk or lock it in the safe if your hotel room has one. GPS units are a really high theft item in Orlando and if you leave the bracket on the dash or windshield the crack heads will break the glass and get in the car anyway, thinking you put the GPS in the glove box or under a seat. The area around Disney and Universal is notorious for crimes against unsuspecting tourists, and the crack heads, dope fiends and criminals won't even think twice about smashing the window and taking your GPS and whatever else might be left in your car. If you are staying on Disney property, the chance for crime or theft is less but there is still potential for it.

One other thing, watch out as you drive around Orlando and the attractions. No offense intended but there are a lot of tourists in rental cars there who have no idea where they are going, and their driving is not so great.

Other than that, I hope you have a great time at Disney. Right now is a good time of year to be here, it's nice and cool during the day, usually low 70's and there is not normally much rain this time of year. The parks should be a bit less crowded too. As a Floridian, I say Welcome to Florida and I hope you and your family enjoy your stay.

I've done it a couple of times from NYC. Basically just set the cruise to 5mph over whatever the current limit was and (as someone else mentioned) kept an eye out for construction zones where the limit suddenly changes. The fuzz doesn't want to hear it when you get tagged doing 60 in a temporary "40" due to a somewhat obscured construction sign.

Have a good trip.

Don't have advice for I-95, but you'll need to drive on I-4 to get to Disney and it normally sucks. Heavy traffic and people drive crazy.

Originally Posted By: VicL

Once you hit Florida you're on your own. In my experience, the traffic through Jacksonville is usually not that bad, but it is a big city and will take you a little time until you are on the other side.
Vic

Actually I-95 in Jacksonvile could be a nightmare during rush hour during the week..There are usually accidents on there during rush hour...I would definitly take the 295 by pass around Jacksonville during that time...I believe there might be construction work on I-95 in Jacksonville but believe its only done at night after 7PM.

Once you cross into Florida call 511 [Florida information service] its a statewide automated system...It will keep you updated on all the highways you are on at that time...Once you call 511 the system will walk you threw it...I use it all the time and it saved me from several nightmares out on the interstate.

I have been on I-4 a bunch of times..I gets heavy but generally keeps moving...Never found it that bad.

Make sure your a/c is working the way it should.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I would take it easy in Georgia.

I don't know about that. Even with their Super Speeder law in place, everyone goes 10 MPH over in Atlanta.

I stand out with my TX plates and legal speed.

It could be human nature to "push the envelope" but folks from the northeast I know who've gone to Florida get tired or whatever by the time they get to Georgia... and have issues. Especially if they try to knock it out in one day/overnight.

You probably already know it but take I 295 from just outside of Richmond to hook up with I 95 beyond Richmond to avoid the city. VA roads are in terrible condition, some are washboards so watch the potholes, especially after the last storm. I am convinced we either do not know how to build roads or the contractor specs the state provides are on the cheap side or the contractors do not know how to build roads that last beyond a year.

You must never ever hit the DC area between 6-9 AM M_F and 3-6 PM M-F. It is a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back