ACEA 2021

SR5

The new ACEA Sequences are out

acea-oil-sequences-2021

Thanks to member BMWTurboDzl who first mentioned it.

ACEA_2021.jpg

Here is a more direct link to the petrol (gas) engine sequences

Some questions that come to mind:
What is up with Oil – Elastomer Compatibility ?
There are 3 full-SAPS oil types (A3/B4, A5/B5, A7/B7) but 4 tests (RE6, RE7, RE8, RE9). Do all 3 oils need to meet all 4 tests? Or just the 2 directly below them? Why not just one or two tests, are they that different or is it just the % limits?

Notice A3/B3 has been deleted as a spec.

Why only C4 has the Noack requirement of 11%, with everything else at 13% ? (Make them all 11%, or at least 12%).

Same with Valvetrain wear, why are some 27 and the others 33 ? (Make them all 27)

Elastomer tests have been done for as long as I have been looking at information. . That is why I wonder how high mile SAE rated oils are able to be produced with "seal enhancing" products over the "safe" limit as some suspect , as compared to other oils in the same rating IE. Mobil 1 EP Vs Mobil 1 EP high mileage.

Here is a more direct link to the petrol (gas) engine sequences

Some questions that come to mind:
What is up with Oil – Elastomer Compatibility ?
There are 3 full-SAPS oil types (A3/B4, A5/B5, A7/B7) but 4 tests (RE6, RE7, RE8, RE9). Do all 3 oils need to meet all 4 tests? Or just the 2 directly below them? Why not just one or two tests, are they that different or is it just the % limits?

Notice A3/B3 has been deleted as a spec.

Why only C4 has the Noack requirement of 11%, with everything else at 13% ? (Make them all 11%, or at least 12%).

Same with Valvetrain wear, why are some 27 and the others 33 ? (Make them all 27)
Those are the "light duty" sequences which cover petrol/gasoline and diesel use in light duty vehicles (as opposed to the E sequences for heavy duty diesel).

Elastomers - @Jetronic got it; all sequences have to test all four elastomer types with the same limits applied (but the table layout is not clear on this).
A3/B3 has been a largely redundant spec for a while now.
C4 is a bit of a stand-out spec; it's the sole remaining low SAPS spec, with C1 now being removed. Given that the newest two specs (C5 last time and now C6) have gone mid-SAPS I foresee the demise of C4.
The C6 spec is a tricky one - low HTHS but harder wear targets, LSPI (plus ash and P) limits what type and amount of additives you can use and you have to hit the fuel economy requirement (the Toyota 2ZE test compares to a low viscosity reference - the M111 test is vs a 15W-40).

I arrived to this forum due to the Elastomer Compatibiltiy table that was just not making any sense in the Acea 2021 document. I was comparing something else in old 2004 ACEA specs, when I found on page 10, a nice little line that says "NOTE: The following sections apply to all sequences " just before the Elastomer Compatibility table :) I thought it might come handy to someone.

Attachments

• elastomer_2004page-0010.jpg
    elastomer_2004page-0010.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 16
Back