acdelco ecore cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was worried after seeing all the fail pics. I know not all are bad but I dont want to run ecores, and didnt know i had one on my truck untill i became a member on here.ive always used either purolater or acdelco and i noticed on my last oil change it was different.I guess it held up good this time other than its a little shorter on one side than the other you might be able to see it in the pics, pleets where straight until you get to the seam and they are wider.this is my first time opening up a filter hope it looks ok took the pics with my droid x.had 3100 miles on it with gtx.
100.jpg
104.jpg
102.jpg
103.jpg
109.jpg
105.jpg

I don't see a fail in your pictures. Just a basic economical filter that did it's job. IMO Pure One's are the best for the dollar.

Looks like it did just fine. Maybe something has changed since the failures posted. We've seen failures or issues posted from about every manufacturer, it happens.

Thanx for sharing!

yeah it did its job but i dont want to wonder if i got the good one or not.IMO they are just cheaply made,the cage spacing is too wide and can cause the media to blow in. I dont want any thing made of plastic that can get inside my motor. Pure 1 is what im running for now on.shame though acdelco once made some of the best.

Many/most cartridge oil filters have no internal case at all, it is usually mounted on a plastic cage and the cage is as wide spaced as in your picture without problem.

Ecore oil filter problem is blown out of proportion.

Maybe so but a lot of people also say fram makes a good filter.I have had an ocod lock up a great motor in a crx.it was an si 1.6 that had only 34,000 miles on a rebuild.the element came a part and clogged up after only 30 miles on an oil change.no oil pressure gauge at the time.only time ive ever used a fram product and the last time.there isnt much of a difference between the frams and the ecore felt vs cardboard at least fram dont use plastic.

Thanks for posting those pics. I too use to use AC Delco's all the time but just recently switched to Napa Golds. Where I live I can only get Delcos from the Dealer and they charged the same price for them as the Napa Golds. By switching over to them it didn't cost me anymore and I just like the Napa Golds design much better, especially the silicone ADBV for the cold Winters instead of the E-Core's rubber nitrile ADBV that can harden from the cold. To me the Napa Golds/Wix/Purolators just look better overall. I agree that those E-cores look cheaply made.

At the end of the day you gotta do what you gotta do. Whatever helps you sleep better at night is the way to go.

I'd still rather have a filter with a metal core and metal end caps. I imagine on that
E-core filter with the E-core removed, you could wad that filter up in your hand.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
yeah it did its job but i dont want to wonder if i got the good one or not.IMO they are just cheaply made,the cage spacing is too wide and can cause the media to blow in. I dont want any thing made of plastic that can get inside my motor. Pure 1 is what im running for now on.shame though acdelco once made some of the best.

Keep in mind that some cars with cartridge-style filters already have this plastic "cage" that is permanently attached in the filter housing. The cartridge filter slides over the cage, and basically takes the form of an e-core filter. And I have never seen a filter fail on a car that has the "built-in" e-core style cage setup. Granted, some, if not all cartridge filters also have some sort of plastic reinforcing built into them, but I don't think we were debating cage strength. Regardless, there are still open gaps where pleats could blow through, but I have never seen any issues, assuming the engine is in proper running condition with no coolant/moisture in the oil. Just my .02

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if other oil filters on the market will change to the E-core designs in the future to be more "environmentally friendly".

If they don't maybe they will have high enviro fees tacked on to them resulting in higher prices. I hope that's not the case.

Just read some interesting FAQ's on the E-cores. Kind of interesting.

http://www.servicechamp.com/prod_res_docs/Ecore%20FAQ%27s%20Sheet.pdf

Originally Posted By: Chris11
I sometimes wonder if other oil filters on the market will change to the E-core designs in the future to be more "environmentally friendly".

I don't know. I think steel is better than plastic for degradation, but I suppose they do this for recycling.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Many/most cartridge oil filters have no internal case at all, it is usually mounted on a plastic cage and the cage is as wide spaced as in your picture without problem.

Ecore oil filter problem is blown out of proportion.

...until it happens to you...............

Yeah, at least on a cartridge filter you can see if any of the pleats are bent over flat, which seems to be the way they get media blowouts. I showed an Ecore I ran on 20W-50 in cold weather until the canister bulged, and nothing was wrong with the media...BUT all the pleats were straight. In a can, I don't know what I'm getting. I'll stick to metal center tubes on those.
I really think its a QC issue rather than an untested design issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back