AC Delco (champ labs) -- How does it compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do the AC Delco filters made by Champ Labs compare to both AC Delco's own (I've seen both sold locally here), and to Champ Labs other filters (STP, Supertech, old Bosch Premium, etc)?

Complex question...better to limit this to a specific p/n.

Generally Champ makes more rebranded filters than anyone I know. They build to spec things like K&N and M1. They also have their Ecore design which is used by ST and AC Delco. Delco also seems to have some non-Ecore which could be made by Champ also but they could be made by others also. No rules here. Bosch acquired Puralator in joint venture with Mann (both European) so more & more Bosch may look like Puralator for American cars.

I bought a FRAM air filter once for a European car and it was marked Mann, made in Austria.

You can find teardowns but need to look at specific p/n as results can not be fully generalized across a Brand. Also it should be recent(not MiniMopar from 1996). Problem is determining the media's capability in microns.

I peeked into an AC filter at the store. It was for a 7.4L V8 (2000). I saw the E-core plastic cage. So I put it back and bought a Wix.

I have a AC Delco PF47 that came from a dealer. It is draining now, will probably cut it open over the weekend. This ISN'T an e-core.

Yeah mine isn't a terribly popular filter, so it's not an E-core--- I can see the tell-tale plastic blue bypass valve typical of old-style Champ Labs filters.

My question revolves around whether or not this filter is a decent buy at 3.99$. At Autozone I have the choice of STP or AC Delco, but both are rebranded Champ Labs filters. I could save money going with STP, I may have to cut both open to tell.

None of those have silicon ADBVs. Nowadays, if it's for one of my newer vehicles & the filter is exposing a nitrile ADBV, I leave it in the store. Just a mentyal thing with me - but I feel better paying a couple of dollars more for a better ADBV.

If it's made by Champion Labs, it has got to be better. Champ designs their filters to at least meet, but more times than not, exceed OEM filter specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back