Absolute BEST Leather Conditoner/Cleaner??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I know this topic has been discussed, BUT, any input on the most recent products out there? I have experience cleaning leather on saddles and tack, but that stuff is different than car leather, particularly GM Truck leather. SO, thoughts, input, experience? Thanks.
18.gif

Collinites! yes! I had completely forgotten about them . I used some restorer wax on an oxidized hood about 5 years ago. It made it look almost brand new. Amazing stuff.

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
Ok, I know this topic has been discussed, BUT, any input on the most recent products out there? I have experience cleaning leather on saddles and tack, but that stuff is different than car leather, particularly GM Truck leather. SO, thoughts, input, experience? Thanks.
18.gif

Simple easy and quick. Use Chemspec leather cleaner and conditioner.

2 part products are 1940 technology, and some are loaded with strange ingredients and odd smells.

Do you use Leatherique and Leather Master together? They look like they cover the same territory. Just from the Amazon reviews, it seems people are happy with Leatherique Rejuvenator and Conditioner alone. Then there is the duo of Leather Master protector and cleaner.

I was thinking of getting Leather Honey before I read this, based on the numerous positive reviews I've read, although it looks to only be a conditioner rather than two steps of cleaning then protecting. That was after almost buying a Lexol kit with the cleaner, protectant and vinyl product.

Too many choices with this detailing stuff and I've never had a car with leather. I don't want a cracked piece of garbage for a seat in 3 years.

They are both great brands and do similar duties. If I were to choose from one or the other I would go Leatherique but it is more up to how easily you can find one or the other.

Leatherique is a two day process between the cleaner and conditioner. I know it sounds like a lot for cleaning leather seats but boy I can tell you that cleaner will bring up @#%*(# you didnt think were in your seats and the conditioner will make them baby soft again. Best product I have ever used.

99% of automotive leather is vinyl coated so the best leather products in the world will never touch the actual leather.

Originally Posted By: JMG
Griots Garage Lether Rejuv - best one yet-

past: Turtle Wax, Meguirs, Pinnacle

+1 on the Griots Leather and their Leather Air Freshener.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
99% of automotive leather is vinyl coated so the best leather products in the world will never touch the actual leather.

This is exactly what I was wondering. So should I use a vinyl cleaner maybe? Seems to make sense.

Great question. I'm wondering the same thing. At least on my seats, though, I tend to prefer the leather cleaner/conditioner, seeing as that it's less slick than most of the vinyl cleaner/conditioner products available.

Leather Only and the new Maguiars Gold Class leather conditioner have been working the best for me. Armor All leather protectant is also really good stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
Originally Posted By: RTexasF

This is exactly what I was wondering. So should I use a vinyl cleaner maybe? Seems to make sense.

Leatherique's rejuvenator oil will not hurt a standard-grade coated cardboard auto leather, but is mostly wasted - and is rather expensive. You're better off with their pristine clean (which is formulated for leather and vinyls) or just Lexol on those.

But FWIW, more than 1% of automotive leather is not coated. We're at 25% in this household. And there are a number of leather details even in coated interiors that respond well to a higher grade conditioner.

Still, plastering leatherique rejuvenator all over a 2003 Dodge or Chevy interior is probably overkill.

My son uses Leatherique Rejuvenator and Pristine Clean once a year in my 1997 E320 with 230,000 miles, and the black leather looks brand new. He usually does it in the summer and leaves the car in the sun for a day or two after applying the Rejuvenator. The black seats turn almost grey after a day, but when cleaning the seats with Pristine Clean they turn back to black and look brand new and feel soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back