A plan to get the price of oil down............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, we all know that the oil price is being manipulated so that it goes higher. Case in point, oil did hit resistance and was headed down (short term bearish). A pullback was imminent and charts indicated this. A broker this A.M. issued a bullish statement for oil to possibly surpass the original $80 target and hit $105 sending oil back up just as it was technically breaking down from a strong trend up. Hence this well known firm has a huge financial interest in seeing the cost of oil go up. So at everyones cost they manipulated the market to respond to their benefit, raising oil prices. When in fact we should be seeing the oil prices move back to support in the mid $40 range.

We now are seeing the effects of higher oil prices in people losing their jobs again. Folks it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the grave circumstances of a MANIPULATED FINANCIAL INTEREST in the oil prices skyrocketing. We will fall back in a recession unless this stops! We have rising interest rates, inflation due to cost of energy and a housing market that will start to cool off. We are headed for disaster unless oil stabilizes! Just when the economic conditions were improving we are starting to take steps backwards.

Note the conditions of the S&P 500, Nasdaq and Dow Jones. The Dow Jones has dropped almost 500 points in a month! It started to recover since oil was falling now its getting hammered again due to the analysts statement which causes a rise in oil. A rise in oil means indexes normally fall. If indexes fall stock prices drop. If we sustain further damage to technicals in the indexes, well lets just say it won't be pretty!

How we all may be able to manipulate the oil downwards:

1. Do a worldwide boycott and not buy oil, gas, etc., for a specific time frame such as 2-4 days, maybe more or less. What would this do? The anticipation of such an event would cause oil futures to drop which would change the technical patterns. Hence short interest would be heightened. We need to scare the bejeeberz out of these people so they sell and drive the price down. We want oil to be bearish not bullish! Bearish oil is good!

2. Do our part to reduce the usage of oil.

Just a thought to ponder. Pass it on!!!!!!

Amkeer, I agree with almost everything you said, but I don't think not buying oil would really do anything and I know it's just not realistic. I read the report this morning about the "$105" a barrel oil. Thank him for feeding the fire. It's out of control. I've been so busy lately that I've drifted away from the news. I need a break from all the negativity. I recently did read the National Geographic Articl on "The End of Cheap Oil" which I highly recommend.
cheers.gif

Even if there was a boycott for 2-4 days, the fuel and oil sold for that week would be about average. People would just top up on Sunday and Monday then refill on Friday and Saturday. Get EVERYONE to carpool for the week or a month just might shake things up though.....I don't think many will really go for that though.

Suggestion #2 would do more. Developing domestically sourced biogas and biodiesel might make a nice dent in our foreign oil consumption.

Oil will only go down on price if there are severe things done on the demand side of things.

Immediate ban on the manufacture of cars with less than 25mpg highway EPA rated fuel economy.

Strictly enforced 65mph speed limits nationwide.

Ban on the sale of incadescent light bulbs.

Only if some of these measures are implemented, will the world know that North Americans are serious about energy conservation and reducing our dependance on imported foreign oil.

Good points!!!!
cheers.gif
These oil people really don't understand or they choose to ignore the fact they will cut their own noses off inevitably. A highly manipulated market will in essence drop faster than a steady, gradual increase. It will drop like a rock! And when it starts to drop everyone short the heck out of it.

I think just the threat of a worlwide boycott would do enough damage.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:

I think just the threat of a worlwide boycott would do enough damage.

Just how exactly would a worldwide boycott even be possible?

You have a pre-planned set of days to not buy fuel or oil. Lets for the sake of argument make this Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. To decrease a surge in demand prior to boycott days and after you would fill a 1/4 of the fuel tank on the allowed fueling days. The idea is to keep a full tank prior to Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. The weak link would be the folks with long commutes. Most could go without fueling up again for about a week.

Naturally this would have to be a strategy that would favor consumers exclusively. It can be done!

So Amkeer, essentially you shut down the world of commerce for a day and then start it back up the next?

Essentially your scheme would just exasberate the situation as energy delivery infrastructure is more efficiently utilized on a continuous basis rather than the 'on-off' basis that you propose. With refineries stretched to the limits, many of them would be forced to shut down briefly simply because of a short-term overproduction of fuel. Of course, this would reduce total supply to the marketplace, which would just drive up prices even more and enhance the risk premiums already being applied to oil.

This BS must end. I agree with the manipulation.

Let's use less and let's get the word out that people in China are driving now.....btw the price of gas was about the same in China. They somehow drive little piece of shiite cars and die regularly.

As for oil. Cut back and call your congress wienie.

Part of the problem is that we continue to use one of our most transportable fuels (therefore very high value) for stationary applications like generating electricity.

Big thermally efficient power plants need to use our most intracible fuels (coal, biomass, nuclear, hydro) and turn them into high value transportable fuels electricity (and maybe hydrogen).

Making a commitment to replace 40 year old oil fired generation (world wide), and decent investment into alternative energies (which otherwise will only come due to increased oil prices) would send the message "guys, we are trying to find ways to minimise your business, and ultimately put you out of business".

I see that as the only way to keep prices reasonable.

Subject: Stop the Madness

The price of crude has reached the point where it's feasible to get our oil from Shale.

We would not need oil
from anywhere else.
This is no bull.
Check it out.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

W.T. McGlynn...excellent point...also the second biggest oil reserves (and uranium reserves) are just north of The U.S., in the hands of a friendly nation.

The oil sands are booming, and I'm sure there will be even more investment and expansion up there now that oil prices are expected to remain high.

As for the boycott idea: I think a more effective plan would be to make lifestyle changes to perpetually use less oil.

[ March 31, 2005, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

I spemt a couple of months in South China and they're fantastic drivers. A bit crazy but the taxis are good.

When I was there they were using a lot of Jettas and Isuzus but the Buicks seemed to be catching on.

Knowing we have to keep travelling since our infrastructure requires it, the only solution is conservation. Tax the heck out of new large displacement vehicles starting immediately but that will kill the domestics. Caught in a vise.

quote:

Folks it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the grave circumstances

Relax! This is just the harvesting that's been going on all along. You just never had it reach so far into your niche environment. Just now the furtile plains are now pretty well picked clean ..so they're moving on to more futile ground.

Closed loop economics with expansion and contraction. We're just seeing what it's like to earn a living the hard way.

Whatever plan that might be used to get oil prices down, there needs to be a federal tax that keeps it at a higher rate or else people will go right back to their lazy - huge SUV/AWD - lack of respect of the value of petroleum - ways.

So it'll come down to; either your average person will think more than twice if they really want to buy that huge SUV or the automakers will have to deliver one that can get an average MPG in the mid 20s - or better mpg.

The federal tax should also be set aside for nothing but road infrastructure improvement and maintenance(or debt reduction, SS etc.) Any politician that is proven to try and dip into the funds for other corrupt uses will be impeached for life from any federal or state positions.

And if a given state expects to see their share of 'kick back' from this federal fund, they must get rid of any toll roads(more waste), if the do have them.

quote:

Originally posted by Kernel Potter:
Whatever plan that might be used to get oil prices down, there needs to be a federal tax that keeps it at a higher rate or else people will go right back to their lazy - huge SUV/AWD - lack of respect of the value of petroleum - ways.

I agree in principle. Keeping the price a artificially high after the oil cricis would probably solved our problem today. There would have been less fuel needed, money could have gone to funding research, and more importantly building fixed generation as Shannow indicated.

Of course the downside is lower profits, lower growth, and unhappy citizens, and politicians. But we are at the stage where all this will happen anyway.

Politicians have no backbone and American Citizens are reluctant to use their brains.

Last year, I asked the owner of a small taxi fleet if fuel was a significant cost in his business. He said it was about 4 or 5% of total expenses. Gasoline would have to be $15 a gallon before it would have a critical effect on the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back