A hypothetical question on two vehicles

Which car would be a better buy based on oil changes and the reasons why?

1) 2020 Lexus RX350 V6 11k mi looks like the dealer did the the 1st oil change in 2024

2) 2021 Lexus RX350 V6 27k mi probably
3 oil changes. No service records except for the last oc by the dealer according to the service record.

I picked 1) and I was vehemently berated by my brother who said I was taking an unnecessary risks. Knowing full well there were metal filing debris sitting there for 3+ years and it was going against my code of 5K OCI. Basically he called me a hypocrite and attacked my judgement if I bought the car.
Thank God the car was already sold!

Last edited:
I agree. On my 2014 Toyota V6, the engine oil maixtenance warning display would need to reset every 5K. If u are too lazy or too cheap on an oil change then either learn how to reset OC display or ignore the message during startup. Maybe Lexus moves it to 10k for an OC.

If I was to error on the good side of human behavior, Lexus/Toyota offers 2yrs of free maintenance to maintain warranty. This is a 10K and 20K oil change. Not ideal
I don't think the average Lexus customer is worried about maintaining warranty or service. If it's not documented it didn't happen.

Either one because they are both low mile cars with at least a change or two via the dealer.
This is a positive sign and the negative sign is the lack of service documents. I have seen other CARFAXes that clear state oc by PepBoys, Valvoline and a local tire shop.

This should all discussion whether if 1) or 2) is a better car.

That video has nothing to do with your posted cars? :unsure:
Was there any indication there was sludge in those low mileage cars you questioned?
Why are we comparing an 80k sludge monster to those cars?

Back