A/C Gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can find them, the Robinair or JB guages. Both have served me for ever. Commercial/residential air cond. and home refrigeration. I don't have any prices, I threw out my wholesale catalogs. But contact Joee12 by PM and he may have a better idea.

cheers.gif

Thanks 59Vetteman. By the way, do you own a '59 Vette. Great classic styling, IMHO. Chick magnet too. Someone should turn Clinton onto one.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Thanks 59Vetteman. By the way, do you own a '59 Vette. Great classic styling, IMHO. Chick magnet too. Someone should turn Clinton onto one.
lol.gif

I bought it in 1967, Red/white conv. top. Sold it last year for a bundle. It was still original. But I still have a tear in my eye.

dunno.gif

Wouldn't say they are high quality, but I plan on getting a set of these;
 -

$50 at Harbor Freight

Should do ok for my needs, maybe 10-15 uses per year.

I found those Robinair gauges for about $100. I wonder how they would compare in quality to the U.S. General set? I hate to spend the $50 and find out I would of been better off not trying to pinch a penny.

VaderSS, is that a Refco gauge manifold ?
If so, they are Swiss made, and equal to any Imperial or Robinair manifold I have used.

Rick.

Those gauges that are pictured were automotive quick coupler type. Is this the type you need ?
Some automobiles use 1/2" acme threads. And for refrigeration and HVAC you need 1/4" threads.
You can buy manifolds with 1/4" hoses and purchase the quick couplers and 1/2" acme adapters seperately if needed.
As for brand Yellow Jacket (Ritchie) is top of the line. But I feel they are overpriced.Robinair and JB are decent too. I own several HVAC supply houses. I do sell Yellow Jacket, but I also sell MasterCool Manifold with 36" hoses sell for $34.95 with 60" hoses $36.95 and are made in USA. The quick couplers are approx. $12.00 each. I have sold the Refco in the past and had most all of them returned. Handles would come off. And hoses were difficult to screw on schraeder valves. I sent them back to mfg. for credit. Would not reccomend them.

My experience with Harbor Freight is they sell poor quality.

quote:

Originally posted by hatcoleman:
Those gauges that are pictured were automotive quick coupler type. Is this the type you need ?

Good question. My main use will be for automotive AC. I believe all my vehicles use the quick coupler type, I'll have to double check and make sure. One of them still has R-12 in it, which I believe uses different couplers, so I guess it would be useful to be able to change couplers. Have any recommendations?

Hatcoleman, funny you should mention the Refco handles. The discharge handle came off a little while back. It had split where it goes on the stem. Replacement cost was very little, my wholesaler had them in stock, and considering the amount of work it does, and (mis)treatment it gets, the manifold has performed very well.
Having said that, I've also lost handles from Imperial and some other US manifold who's name escapes me now.

Regarding the hoses, I've had dodgy 1/4 SAE fittings from all brands. In fact I've just replaced a hose (it was either Robinair or Imperial) that wouldn't thread onto service valves without jamming at the swivel. It was replaced with a Refco.

Overall, my current Refco manifold is the best service manifold I've owned.
I'm not saying its the best out there, but it has done a sterling job for me, day in, day out.

Rick.

Have no idea who the maker is, but I'd expect them to be Chinese.

I've got a set of Yellow Jacket R12 gauges. Got them from someone who had them in his garage in trade for topping his car off. Did not realize they were that high of a quality. They've done fine for me, but then I don't use them much and I keep the valves and hoses loosened when not in use.

In my experience, Harbor Freight sells stuff that does fine for the average DIYer, but if you put it to sustained use, it will fail. I consider it one of those, "get what you pay for deals," but when you don't need much, why pay for more?

I got a pair from eBay (probably the Harbor Freight type). The only thing lacking is a port and valving where you can hook up the vacuum pump which will alow you to charge into the vacuum, as opposed to bleeding the air out of the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back