'95 Jeep 4.0L I6 : Found My New Oil !

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Lex94 & others - I'm assuming from your comments that the 10W30 Penzoil HM oil is more sheer stable in higher temps then say the 5W30 with more VI's added ? To date , I just never bothered to try a 5W30 HM oil in the 4.0L yet - perhaps others have and it worked fine ... I just stayed with what the old 1995 OM suggested which was 10W30 .

Use 10w30 or 15w30 for less VII. Avoid VII whenever possible in order to have better shear and oxidation stability. Modern GF-5 10w30 is good down to about -20F. I had Delo 15w30 (CJ-4 and SM) in my old Subaru at -2F and it fired up just fine without nasty noises...better than I expected. If you really want to go thinner in winter then go with PYB 10w30 but low teens is downright balmy for modern 10w30...Even thicker HTHS 3.3 PHM 10w30.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
For Lex94 & others - I'm assuming from your comments that the 10W30 Penzoil HM oil is more sheer stable in higher temps then say the 5W30 with more VI's added ? To date , I just never bothered to try a 5W30 HM oil in the 4.0L yet - perhaps others have and it worked fine ... I just stayed with what the old 1995 OM suggested which was 10W30 .

I've run HM 5w30's and they work/run great, as long as you stay with the thicker ones like Defy, PHM or Castrol.

I tried regular 5w30 (Castrol) in my old Jeep and it sounded like a brass band, I drained it out and went back to regular 10w30 problem solved. This Jeep the only standard 5w30 I've run is PYB and it runs great but I only do that in the winter months.

One good thing about a under-powered noise box like Subaru is that you can more easily differentiate engine oil qualities. I tried 30+ brands and grade over the last year and ALL brands of 10w30 grades I tried were quieter than their 5w30 grades...Including PYB (I have not tried PHM 5w30). The only difference I detected between PYB 10w30 and PHM 10w30 was a noticeable bit of engine power sapped by the thicker PHM 10w30. I would definitely use PHM 10w30 (or PYB 10w30 in a engine requiring a 20 grade...I won't use a 20 grade oil) if I couldn't get Delo 15w30.

PYB/PUP/PHM 10w30 are the best in terms of smooth and quiet in all my testing. I was going to try Pennzoil Gold but...ahhh maybe I will...Dang BITOG!

Thoght I would ask : In well looked after '95 Jeep 4.0L with 6 qrt sump running PHM 10W30 and Fram 10K mile Tough Guard filter - is a 5 month / 5,000 Mile OCI about right ?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the gold may be ok for new cars but it seems noisy in the older ones i like pyb or phm in the summer

Yup...Pennzoil Gold 5w30 is noisy...Maybe the 10w30 is quieter...I will give it more time.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the gold may be ok for new cars but it seems noisy in the older ones i like pyb or phm in the summer

Yup...Pennzoil Gold 5w30 is noisy...Maybe the 10w30 is quieter...I will give it more time.

Must not have all the moly PYB does. Wish we had a VOA on it here.

I actually have VR1 10W30 full syn in mine, with an oversize XG8A, going to run it 2 OCIs of 5K apiece. The VR1 was FAR from a few years back, have to use it before the bottles fail. Nice shade of blue, seems to work fine.

Yeah...Pennzoil Gold 5w30 is not very good...Seems worse than the new Pennzoil Platinum...I am not going to try Gold 10w30.

I'm Done.

I didn't even know they made a 10w30 in the gold bottle.

After hearing its noisy, I am done too. I value what's left of my mental health.

Went to 3 Walmarts looking for Mobil 1 0w40 for my Mercedes and did not see Gold 10w30. Replaced Gold 5w30 with PYB 10w30 in the Subaru until I can find time for a road trip to stock Delo 15w30. The PYB 10w30 is turbo smooth in the Subaru and requires a lot less go pedal. PYB 10w30 is magic juice.

"Go pedal"? What the heck is that? Are you claiming that to achieve a given speed you notice that the pedal is less depressed with the 10W-30 than 5W-30?

Go pedal. Now that's scientific.

Went to 3 Walmarts looking for Mobil 1 0w40 for my Mercedes and did not see Gold 10w30. Replaced Gold 5w30 with PYB 10w30 in the Subaru until I can find time for a road trip to stock Delo 15w30. The PYB 10w30 is turbo smooth in the Subaru and requires a lot less go pedal. PYB 10w30 is magic juice.

Don't you have the ability to figure it out?

Sure, go pedal on right, stop pedal in the middle.

So what about claiming that to achieve a given speed you notice that the pedal is less depressed with the 10W-30 than 5W-30? You do?

Your deserve a cookie! Run along now...this is the adult table.

So what about claiming that to achieve a given speed you notice that the pedal is less depressed with the 10W-30 than 5W-30?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Don't you have the ability to figure it out?

Sure, go pedal on right, stop pedal in the middle.

So what about claiming that to achieve a given speed you notice that the pedal is less depressed with the 10W-30 than 5W-30? You do?

Then I would claim your foot is a horrible instrument to be claiming to be calibrated for something being measured like throttle angle.

You would have to actually track TPS position to support this and somehow I doubt that's the case here
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back