900 Miles in 1 year

For the less than $50 it would cost me, and that is in Canadian dollars, I would do it annually even if it only went 80 miles a year.
We all have a choice to make about vehicle maintenance.
I'll choose to maintain mine well, and not worry about a little bit of money.
I spend more than that on a dinner.
And its a good opportunity to have a look under my car for anything else going wrong.
If someone can't find a spare 15 minutes per year, wow I just don't know what to say.
Walmart jug of oil $33 for full synthetic Mobil 1, filter $9 to $14...and yes that is in Canada, so i bet less in many other places.
Too lazy to do your own, go to a Great Canadian oil change, or any quick oil change place.
Pull in, sit in your car for 5 minutes drinking a coffee they give you, and drive away $79 later.
The woman I've been dating did just that 2 months ago with her car.
Told her next time just get an oil filter and come over, we will change it together, and I always have lots of oil on hand.
So I'm not maintaing my vehicle "well" by not changing oil out after >1 year with 900 miles driven in that time? I fail to see how this is abusive, the oil is new. It doesn't know it's >1 year old. A UOA would easily substantiate it's perfectly fine.

Over the pandemic, our 3rd car went like 280 miles in a year. Kinda made me feel like insurance took advantage of me worse than they usually do.

Our normal cars which do 12k or so, did 7k and 4k.

Over the pandemic, our 3rd car went like 280 miles in a year. Kinda made me feel like insurance took advantage of me worse than they usually do.

Our normal cars which do 12k or so, did 7k and 4k.
Did you change it out at 280 miles?

So I'm not maintaing my vehicle "well" by not changing oil out after >1 year with 900 miles driven in that time? I fail to see how this is abusive, the oil is new. It doesn't know it's >1 year old. A UOA would easily substantiate it's perfectly fine.
Those short trips are the hardest ones.

I would actually feel better if the OP said I only put on 2500 miles a year, because every couple of weeks I do the 50 mile round trip to town and back from my country home.
I would consider those 2500 miles better for the car, than the 900 a year all in short trips.

I personally choose to live in the country on a large acreage. As the owner of several vehicles, they don't actually get a lot of mileage put on any of them. But its almost a given that if I do start one up its going to get out on the hwy and be driven a fair ways. Despite that, I still wouldn't even consider not doing at least an annual oil change.
Condensation, fuel dilution, etc is a factor.
Some people don't care, others of us do.
Oil is cheap, change it in my opinion.

Sorta going through this with my grandmothers 2016 Jetta with the 1.4T. It did roughly 2,000 miles in a year, 75% of it through town. Oil and filters are cheap compared to an engine so I will change it every year till it officially becomes ours in a couple years. M1 0w40 and an OEM Mann filter, roughly $45 cost for both. Drain plug and washer was handed to me at the dealer, so no cost there.

Any distant driving and she has me drive for her. Reminds me to run the snot out of it too, crazy lady :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I'm honestly shocked at how cheap and lazy some people are.
I'm not being cheap nor lazy, it was more of a waste of time/consumables.

Either way, I went to walmart and was unable to locate castrol gold so I just ponied up and did FCP's liquidmoly and a cabin filter.

I'm not being cheap nor lazy, it was more of a waste of time/consumables.

Either way, I went to walmart and was unable to locate castrol gold so I just ponied up and did FCP's liquidmoly and a cabin filter.
Free going forward!

Free going forward!
Still gotta pay for shipping now that Paypal stopped covering it, unless you found another way.

it was $33 last time I returned shipped to FCP. But I haven't needed anything since you told me about the Paypal shipping.

Still gotta pay for shipping now that Paypal stopped covering it, unless you found another way.

it was $33 last time I returned shipped to FCP. But I haven't needed anything since you told me about the Paypal shipping.
Pirateship.com. V. low cost. Should be about $10.

For those fairly new to the party, what's an FCP and what else does one need to know about it?
FCP Euro. Legendary Lifetime Replacement. Buy stuff. Use stuff. Buy more stuff. Return old stuff. Get store credit. Yes...on EVERYTHING (ok some limits).

Sounds like they are open to being taken advantage of but their choice. Nothing for my car but the Euro was a good hint. Thanks for cluing me in.

For some people, like those in the UK, a UOA is more expensive than an Oil and Filter change.

Is there really any point doing a UOA when very few people will actually be able to use the information they get in a productive way.

Do UOA, Blackstone says change your Oil…..

For some people, like those in the UK, a UOA is more expensive than an Oil and Filter change.

Is there really any point doing a UOA when very few people will actually be able to use the information they get in a productive way.

Do UOA, Blackstone says change your Oil…..
It reminds me of when my dog got pneumonia and they did a blood test.

Me: “Oh, you test for cholesterol?”

Vet: “Yes, that’s so we can charge you more in fees. I don’t like it any more than you do. Can you do the nail trim today? I’d meet the monthly quota the owner holds us all to. We’re really sales people with medical degrees!”

I just purchased a Corvette that had perfectly clean oil in it however the OLM stated change oil soon. The car had sat for 6 years without being driven very much and only occasionally. I drove it 535 miles home and changed the oil a couple days later even though it looked brand new. I usually like to know how old the oil is. I probably could have gone a few thousand miles on the old oil however it bothered me not knowing how old the oil was or what brand was in the vehicle.
The remaining oil life indicator reflects the GM recommendation that the oil be changed at least once a year, even if the car is not driven. So, if you change the oil, and then leave the car in the garage for a year or more, the remaining life indicator will register 0 percent life remaining (or very close to 0)

The remaining oil life indicator reflects the GM recommendation that the oil be changed at least once a year, even if the car is not driven. So, if you change the oil, and then leave the car in the garage for a year or more, the remaining life indicator will register 0 percent life remaining (or very close to 0)
There is definitely something to the GM OLM.

On my wife’s, it has varied from 8000, down to 3400 miles. And we know it was on the lower end when she commuted 3 miles to work. Now, her commute is 1.6 miles. I change it when it is 10% or lower. I once did 20% since it was convenient, but I prefer not to overdo it.

If you are running a fleet, one doesn’t waste oil and brake pads and tires etc, one uses what one has or the shareholders have paid for.

Back