900 Miles in 1 year

I think all new Toyota's come with the basic ToyotaCare which means everything should be free at the dealer for the first 2 years if they can get it there. If they still have the window sticker it would say, or you could call and ask.

Also technically if they don't go in Toyota could void their warranty if they chose to.

The Toyota dealer called them a month or two ago to set up the ToyotaCare. They told Toyota that the car only had 500 miles on it. Toyota laughed and said that they'd call next year.

The Toyota dealer called them a month or two ago to set up the ToyotaCare. They told Toyota that the car only had 500 miles on it. Toyota laughed and said that they'd call next year.
The dealer likely billed Toyotacare anyway, which would be actually a good thing in your case as it would technically have been "dealer serviced".

So it says in there somewhere that your warranty is void if the dealer does not perform scheduled maintenance? I looked through the link that you provided and I didn’t see that.
Every manufacturer has the right to deny warranty if the vehicle was not serviced per the manual. All manuals say xxx miles or xxx time whichever comes first. My Toyota has something every 6 months. The reason being is they can find small problems before they become big problems.

They of course would have to have a reasonable idea the lack of maintenance caused the issue. If your radio stops working they obviosly can't deny that, for example. However if you were leaking ATF or something and didn't notice, and your trans died, they would be within their right to deny the warranty.

Whether they would or not is up to them. Some dealers are good about it, some dealers will use any excuse.

The ONLY reason I go the dealer for my free service is so I have a record.

All right I just thought there was some specific language about that. I have never seen it in any of my owner’s manuals nor warranty booklets. Actually what I thought at first was that you were saying that Toyota themselves had to perform the maintenance, not just that it had to be done. That’s just not the case at least here in the United States.

All right I just thought there was some specific language about that. I have never seen it in any of my owner’s manuals nor warranty booklets. Actually what I thought at first was that you were saying that Toyota themselves had to perform the maintenance, not just that it had to be done. That’s just not the case at least here in the United States.
This is what my book says, and no you can do it yourself and document it or take it wherever.

I only mentioned above as it was regarding the posters elderly parents. The Toyota care services are free. Depending on how far they live from the dealer, they might even be willing to send someone over to pick it up and drop it off if there slow some day. The dealer I worked in 30 years ago would have.

MAINTENANCE
You are responsible for performance of
the required maintenance indicated in the
Owner’s Manual and this booklet. Toyota
will not deny a warranty claim solely
because you do not have records to show
that you maintained your vehicle. However,
any failure or noncompliance caused
by lack of maintenance is not covered by
this warranty.

This reminds me of cars that sit on dealer lots of over a year with 50 miles of test drives on them....my Sportwagen was like that. Probably 1.5 years and 60 miles on that one. No reason to change the factory fill oil and no manufacturer is denying warranty for that.

This reminds me of cars that sit on dealer lots of over a year with 50 miles of test drives on them....my Sportwagen was like that. Probably 1.5 years and 60 miles on that one. No reason to change the factory fill oil and no manufacturer is denying warranty for that.
Your correct, however the Toyota service guide basically inspects just about everything at 12 months so its a lot further than just the oil change. I would be completely irate if the dealer denied warranty on anything at 900 miles even if it was out of fluid - but technically the vehicle would not have been "maintained" by there standard its technically possible.

Given its free you might as well take it in. However I gather for these elderly folks that might be more trouble than its worth.

Your correct, however the Toyota service guide basically inspects just about everything at 12 months so its a lot further than just the oil change. I would be completely irate if the dealer denied warranty on anything at 900 miles even if it was out of fluid - but technically the vehicle would not have been "maintained" by there standard its technically possible.

Given its free you might as well take it in. However I gather for these elderly folks that might be more trouble than its worth.
The "check/inspect" bits in the maintenance book are things you can say you did yourself and the warranty is not predicated on them. Most of those things are wear items which aren't covered anyway. Folks really worry around here about warranty stuff w/r to this, 900 miles in a year? That's a few weeks for many folks. The warranty denial boogie-man is just not-founded in cases like this. What in the world could happen that would ever cause this to even come up? The one you worry about is blowing a piston through the block. You go in and show that the oil was changed 1K miles ago/1 and change years ago. I just don't see the issue here w/r to warranty or if all of these could ever line up to cause this in the first place. Changing oil in a car with 900 miles on it in a year is complete waste.

Ya well you know what they say about opinions. I point out that the Toyotacare is free and in addition would 100% protect any warranty, and people want to have a debate about warranty.

I didn’t predict any pending doom or boogeyman. I specifically said “In theory”. Do what you like. I wasn’t trying to be controversial.

Oil is cheap and easy to change.

Annually or 10,000 kms, whichever comes first for me.
Sometimes. But 1500 km? Neither the oil nor the engine knows what a year is.

There exist something called waste. I see a giant mountain of the tangible aspect of it, just down the road a bit - all generated by humans.

If he put 4800 km on it I would say yes, change it considering the short trip usage pattern.

So short version, $10,000 2016 VW versus $100 oil change (my local A+ independent shop) versus $XX at Walmart plus your time versus $XX minus $Y somewhere finding the "cheapest" oil available plus your time versus, finally, those who say don't change it and take your chances. All gambled against $10,000.

So short version, $10,000 2016 VW versus $100 oil change (my local A+ independent shop) versus $XX at Walmart plus your time versus $XX minus $Y somewhere finding the "cheapest" oil available plus your time versus, finally, those who say don't change it and take your chances. All gambled against $10,000.
huh? This is a Toyota here with 900 miles on it and a year. There is a zero gamble not changing it.

900 miles a year would suggest a lot of short trips and idle time

I would change it due to possible fuel dilution.

We have to Skoda Octavia diesels (one a mk2 with the older 2.0 diesel and the second a mk3 with the later 2.0 diesel, both are Euro 5 with DPF) at my 2nd job.

Lots of idling time and when driven it’s rarely very far, a 10 mile journey in stop start traffic would be distance work to these two cars.

One has done 22k miles in 5 years, the other 21k miles in 5 years.

Both get an annual oil and filter, and very little else.

I gave the mk3 a good going over for its MOT as it has been unused for 6 months and it expired, so four tyres (dry cracked), discs and pads all round and an oil and filter and fit for another year of doing next to nothing.

My sister owns a 2014 Mazda CX5 with the 2.0L. It runs great and has 13K on it now and has had at least 4 oil changes. Wife and I are driving it now since she lost her license and is now in a nursing home. I figure to take it to the dealer this next week. It gets Synthetic 0-20.

huh? This is a Toyota here with 900 miles on it and a year. There is a zero gamble not changing it.

For the less than $50 it would cost me, and that is in Canadian dollars, I would do it annually even if it only went 80 miles a year.
We all have a choice to make about vehicle maintenance.
I'll choose to maintain mine well, and not worry about a little bit of money.
I spend more than that on a dinner.
And its a good opportunity to have a look under my car for anything else going wrong.
If someone can't find a spare 15 minutes per year, wow I just don't know what to say.
Walmart jug of oil $33 for full synthetic Mobil 1, filter $9 to $14...and yes that is in Canada, so i bet less in many other places.
Too lazy to do your own, go to a Great Canadian oil change, or any quick oil change place.
Pull in, sit in your car for 5 minutes drinking a coffee they give you, and drive away $79 later.
The woman I've been dating did just that 2 months ago with her car.
Told her next time just get an oil filter and come over, we will change it together, and I always have lots of oil on hand.

I never realised Toyotas were immune from fuel dilution of the oil?

Why would anybody want to save £40/50 on a car worth $10000?

How many on here would buy a car that had not had an oil and filter change for 3 years?
This post/OP is talking about a Toyota with 900 miles in a year and whther to change it out b/c of the 1 year time. I was responding to someone talking about a VW..not sure where the VW came into the convo. If I had a car I was looking at for $10K US and they showed me a record of it being 1.5 years old with 900 miles in that time, I would have zero concerns about the oil.

Back