2023 Civic - Valve Cover Leak

Is this a common issue on the current gen Civics? Plastic vs's or poor QC control.

The K20C2 is a nice engine. Port injection. Lot of room in engine bay too. Nice commuter cars.

Last edited:
I'd imagine we could find an issue with any brand new make or model. YT just brings it to our attention. This was something easily repaired compared to some other issues I've seen from other OEM's. I'd say it might be too early to tell how big this issue is being just a 23'. Good video though & something that new Civic owners with this engine can watch out for.

1706142018505.png

1706142091650.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

I had a 2023 Integra, not impressed. Can't imagine how much more disappointing the lower end Civic is.
Isn’t the civic si rated 10/10 by C&D?

Doesn’t seem like such a bad vehicle. Can’t say we’ve had any issues in ca 90k each in my HAH or our odyssey.

Not sure what you were really expecting from an oversized and overpriced fwd wannabe sports car.

For what they are I think they’re ok.

I really like the Civics. I think they're great cars. Especially the K20C2 engine. Honda CVTs are arguably the most reliable.

While not the end of the world to have vc leaks, I wouldn't be happy with it if occurred with only 3k miles on the car. They need to address that.

I've been driving Hondas, mostly Civics for about 40 years, never had a serious problem with any of them, always had a good relationship with my dealers, always have my car serviced by the same Honda Certified Master Technician who I always get to know. The only real issue I have with current Hondas is what I consider to be excessive "nanny tech" and the obvious issues with oil dilution, which I've learned is not an exclusively Honda issue. My wife's CRV, which is exclusively short tripped, does have dilution issues, we just change oil twice a year using Mobil1 5W-30 EP. No real issues and I've driven several Civics over 100k, one, I think a 2010 Civic needed rear struts at about 65k, about $600, covered by Hondacare. Incidentally, I change CVT fluid every 30k, never had a transmission issue. After a 30 year career servicing medical equipment, I believe a pro-active, pre-emptive approach to maintenance is preferable to reactive.

I've been driving Hondas, mostly Civics for about 40 years, never had a serious problem with any of them, always had a good relationship with my dealers, always have my car serviced by the same Honda Certified Master Technician who I always get to know. The only real issue I have with current Hondas is what I consider to be excessive "nanny tech" and the obvious issues with oil dilution, which I've learned is not an exclusively Honda issue. My wife's CRV, which is exclusively short tripped, does have dilution issues, we just change oil twice a year using Mobil1 5W-30 EP. No real issues and I've driven several Civics over 100k, one, I think a 2010 Civic needed rear struts at about 65k, about $600, covered by Hondacare. Incidentally, I change CVT fluid every 30k, never had a transmission issue. After a 30 year career servicing medical equipment, I believe a pro-active, pre-emptive approach to maintenance is preferable to reactive.
Me too.. No issues...

Are plastic valve covers an issue? Don't most vehicles in the past 20 years have plastic VCs? I never had any issues with mine...
The plastic valve covers on one of My Nissan's lasted 395,000 miles. I replaced them with new valve covers from Nissan that were about 50 bucks each and already had the plug seals and PCV valve installed.

My other Nissan has plastic valve covers @170,000 miles - no issues yet.

So no, no issues with plastic valve covers in general I don't think.

I can’t get past how ugly that engine looks with that thing sticking out in front of the plastic housing.

Back