2010 Avalon vs 2013 Corolla

Funny, my 40 year old cars don’t need to be rebooted. Nor my BMW of the same age as the cars in question… Why would these Toyotas spring so many leaks and have so many rubber failures at such low mileage?

To me, it’s a question of use, fit, and expected gas budget. A big, inefficient car like an Avalon will eat more gas, and the necessity to have the space, or not, goes into the equation…

Yes I wouldn't expect that either, good point! Even at 15 years old and 183,000 mi my Crown Vic has more recently shown that it needs some front-end work.

For me it's a little bit of both I appreciate efficiency as I drive 90 miles a day. The Avalon is rated at 28 highway with many people reporting 30 plus.

I do also need space though as I have two children both in car seats still.

If I do make a move, seems like Avalon is the easy choice in my case.

Question for the OP…..after 2 weeks and 3 pages of near consensus in favor of the Avalon, plus a large price drop on the Avalon, why are you still on the fence?

Question for the OP…..after 2 weeks and 3 pages of near consensus in favor of the Avalon, plus a large price drop on the Avalon, why are you still on the fence?
Commitment issues 😂 Not on the fence as far as Avalon or Corolla, just should I pull the trigger at all.

In all seriousness, even though the cost of this vehicle is relatively small and our income is more than adequate; I don't take financial decisions lightly these days. After we had kids and now know the costs associated with daycare etc, I'm much more methodical with our finances.

Yes I wouldn't expect that either, good point! Even at 15 years old and 183,000 mi my Crown Vic has more recently shown that it needs some front-end work.

For me it's a little bit of both I appreciate efficiency as I drive 90 miles a day. The Avalon is rated at 28 highway with many people reporting 30 plus.

I do also need space though as I have two children both in car seats still.

If I do make a move, seems like Avalon is the easy choice in my case.
Car seats drive vehicle choice for sure, especially if the front seat occupants are tall. We had to sell cars we loved over that when we went from one to two kids.

That said, 90 miles of driving is a lot. And so unless you really need to lug the kids around for 90 miles, I might look for an alternate setup. The difference between 30 and 40 mpg over the years will amount in a lot of money saved…

That said, 90 miles of driving is a lot. And so unless you really need to lug the kids around for 90 miles, I might look for an alternate setup. The difference between 30 and 40 mpg over the years will amount in a lot of money saved…
It may be money saved, but it is all relative to one's financial situation. In the grand scheme of things, both of these are extremely cheap to run and maintain.

It may be money saved, but it is all relative to one's financial situation. In the grand scheme of things, both of these are extremely cheap to run and maintain.
I know multi-millionaires that drive prius and civic and similar cars just because they save fuel. It’s far less the financial situation for many, then to just not be wasteful, and because they’ve programmed themselves over the long run to be frugal, which is probably why they are self-made multi-millionaires outside of their home value…

A '14-18 Corolla L (base model) has the 4 speed auto versus the cvt in higher trims. Seems to have a more refined ride than previous gen. Probably in the same price range also.

I know multi-millionaires that drive prius and civic and similar cars just because they save fuel. It’s far less the financial situation for many, then to just not be wasteful, and because they’ve programmed themselves over the long run to be frugal, which is probably why they are self-made multi-millionaires outside of their home value…
I don't disagree, but there are some differences that are material....and others that are not. This one is arguably, the latter.

My oldest bought a 2010 Avalon last year. The car is in excellent shape and I was impressed with the ride and interior of the car. So far we dropped the transmission pan and replaced the filter and fluid. That job wasn't too bad. The alternator went a couple of month's ago but that's normal on a car of this age. That job was a little bit of a pain. I miss the days when I had skinnier fingers! To answer you question though, get the Avalon.

I don't disagree, but there are some differences that are material....and others that are not. This one is arguably, the latter.
It’s about $800/yr. It’s not going to make anyone rich, or poor, but it’s an operating cost consideration that gets factored in all the same.

I say Avalon for everything except looks but Corolla for the looks. Personally I think that style Avalon and the one before it were ugly.
Looks and any Toyota made after about 1998 is funny.

Especially a Corolla.

You don’t buy a Toyota for looks. As much as they now try to do ridiculous cladding and stupid plastic parts to appear “sporty”.

Now a mid-late 90s Supra? That was a good looking car. Still would be if sold new.

Just an update to close this thread out.

Nothing I'm looking at has really peaked my interest that much. I checked out the Avalon yesterday and while the price was tempting it was not as clean as the pictures showed. The Roof was completely oxidized as well as the rear trunk. Also motor seemed to run really well, but the transmission in my opinion had slightly harsh upshifts. I'm not too concerned about cosmetics to a degree, but the chance of a mechanical issue at that price not worth the risk.

All the car searching and nothing really fitting the bill has helped me to decide to just hang on to the Crown Vic for now.

Reactions: GON
Back