75-90 or 75-110

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently using 75-140 in the front diff of my liberty that was just put in last spring. My manual says to use 75-140. I have to take it in to have the axle seals replaced and the shop is saying it takes 75-90. So I called the dealer and they also say it takes 75-90. They tell me the requirements change now and then. The seal replacement will not drain all the fluid, so I was thinking of adding 75-90 to the 75-140 to top it up, as the fluid is not that old. Or I could drain it all and use 75-110 to split the difference between what my manual calls for and the new spec?

75-90 front and I'd run a syn in it b/c there will be a small mpg improvement. that thing spins (pun) most of its life at no-load so a 140 is blatant overkill. frankly, the rear should be more than happy with a 90wt as well, though for some reason (I think to mask manufacturing defects) chrysler calls for 140 in a lot of their corporate rear axles. After I had a few years on mine without trouble, I dropped to amsoil 110. I also tried mobil 140 in the tail. both felt different (better to me) with the oem stuff out.

90 up front. rear... follow OM to be safe or go with the 110 if you don't mind a slight risk for a % mpg.

I am leaning towards just adding the 75-90 to the front and saving the 75-110 for the rear when it neads to be changed, it calls fro 75-140 for towing, so the 75-110 would be a decent comprimise between protection for towing and mpg when not towing, which is 95% of the time.

I know all wj 99-2004 jeep recomment 75w140 front and rear. Im running redline 75w140 front and rear and no need add any lsd stuff.

It seems that guys with experience and common sense show a 90 is good, but it would nag me why the factory recommends a 140. this is unusual, so there must be a reason.

mechtech. spot on. i think they slap 140 in them to cover up poor QA in their axles. I think the gears and metals themselves would be like any other 90wt diff if they're set right, but just in case a couple come out bad here and there, they'll run 140.

or...

though there are variations, in the cherokees the same axle may be had whether its a v6 with no tow package or v8 with... and the tow ratings vary from 3500 to 7500 accordingly. 140wt = 1 size fits all.

the liberty is a ~3800 (?) lb vehicle with a 12V V6. if chryco can't run it on a 90wt, they got some problems....

M

btw some time the shop try put 75w90 or what ever gear oil weight they can find. cause its alot cheaper and charge premium price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back