2017 JKUR (Wrangler Rubicon) Locking Diff Fluids?

Time to change the diff fluids in my Jeep. Thought this would be a good place to ask. I searched and wasn't able to come up with direct info.

2017 Jeep JKUR (4-door) Rubicon. Moroney label says:

Tru-Lok® Differential Front and Rear Axles
Next Generation Dana® 44 Heavy Duty Rear Axle
Next Generation Dana® 44 Heavy Duty Front Axle

These are manually (electrically) activated lockers and are not limited slip.

The Owner's Manual says:
Axle Differential (Front) We recommend you use Mopar Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API GL-5).

Axle Differential (Rear) 226 RBI (Model 44) – We recommend you use Mopar Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API GL-5) or equivalent. For trailer towing, use Mopar Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 75W-140). Models equipped with Trac-Lok require an additive. (EMOTO: Mine are NOT Trac-Lok, i.e, limited slip)

The Jeep is mostly used for local grocery retrieval, but I also belong to a club and do a little medium off-roading with them, but not terribly often. Long road trips 1-2x per year. I have a small open utility trailer suitable for a motorcycle or 2, but seldom use it.

1. What do you fine folks recommend I put in these diffs?

2. As a motorcycle guy, I happen to have some oil purchased for motorcycles I no longer own, and wonder if you all know anything about it, and what you think of me putting it into the Jeep diffs.

This is what it is:

i-n9XB9TH-XL.jpg
i-3BVLSg9-XL.jpg

i-ZpW5tKs-XL.jpg
i-D7T7pqS-XL.jpg

Those would be suitable.

Plenty of good oils/options out there.

I wouldnt have any problem "recycling" that bmw gear oil into the wrangler diffs.. if you have sufficient amounts.

If I was buying I would consider 75w110 for the rear and 75w90 for the front. (or 75w110 in both for heavy usage) Your choice on how much to spend.
HPL/Valvoline/M1/ Supertech whatever.

Last edited:
Back