What MT oil to use in an MTX75 gearbox?

Ford suggests to use WSD-M2C200-C specs oil which is a 75W-90 oil. I searched up the internet for information and as a result I found people who say WSS-M2C200-D2 (75W FE) could be a better option, since it's a thinner oil and MTX-75 runs better especially on cold temperature. My only problem is that I can't found any official source that would confirm it won't damage the gearbox. What's your opinion? My car is a 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi

I have an MTX-75 in my 2014 Focus and I used Volvo 75W gear oil when I changed out the FF at 26K miles. Volvo used the MTX-75 in some of their models when they were partnered with Ford so their gear oil meets the WSS-M2C200-D2 specification and was cheaper than the Ford stuff at FCP Euro.
IDK if anything changed with the MTX-75 between 2006 and 2014 to necessitate the lower viscosity fluid or if it's just a fuel economy move but my gearbox shifts very smoothly on the 75W stuff. I'm at 46K on the Volvo fluid and plan another change at 50K using Ravenol 75W GL-4 gear oil that I bought on Amazon before the price went way up (like everything else). I paid about $15 a quart (it takes 1.9 qts. IIRC) but it's well over $20 now.

I've run Motorcraft 'Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid # XT-M5-QS in my cars. The one I put 200k km on it and I don't think the shifting changed at all during that time? In like -10C or less you can feel the fluid is a bit thick, but after a few minutes its pretty normal shifting. I just get 2L and save a bit of the drained fluid to top it up to the fill hole if needed and I've been changing about every 100k km. I don't know if its the "best" but it seems to be working for me.

Thanks for the answers. I looked up on Volvo's official site and there is the "D2" oil and below they listed the gearboxes that are recommended to use with 75W FE oil. The MTX75 is among them. I spoke to another man who said he drove 140,000kms since he changed to FE oil without any problem. He complained hard shifting when it was cold outside with 75W-90. Also, he mentioned that using this oil was suggested by the official Ford service.

Pre-2012 MTX75 was M2C200-C (75w90 GL4 ZDDP real syn).
Post-2012 MTX75 was upgraded to M2C200-D2 (75w GL4 ZDDP real syn).

MTX75 was not the only to be oil spec upgraded, 2010-2011 for any Mustang gearboxes changed to D2 75W too, because, officially, cold performance issues, others gearboxes like chinese Getrag MT82 did use Ford additives and after oil spec change.

I'd keep M2C200-C (Motorcraft, Ford BO, Castrol BOT, Castrol Syntrax/Multivehicle all the same) if you have not big issues with cold temps. It's a very good oil.

Pre-2012 MTX75 was M2C200-C (75w90 GL4 ZDDP real syn).
Post-2012 MTX75 was upgraded to M2C200-D2 (75w GL4 ZDDP real syn).

MTX75 was not the only to be oil spec upgraded, 2010-2011 for any Mustang gearboxes changed to D2 75W too, because, officially, cold performance issues, others gearboxes like chinese Getrag MT82 did use Ford additives and after oil spec change.

I'd keep M2C200-C (Motorcraft, Ford BO, Castrol BOT, Castrol Syntrax/Multivehicle all the same) if you have not big issues with cold temps. It's a very good oil.
Well, I bought the D2 oil Castrol 75W FE but have not put in the box yet. My car is from 2006. Do you think this will cause any damage to the gearbox? I bought this because I experienced tough shifting in 1st, 2nd and reverse gear.

Well, I bought the D2 oil Castrol 75W FE but have not put in the box yet. My car is from 2006. Do you think this will cause any damage to the gearbox? I bought this because I experienced tough shifting in 1st, 2nd and reverse gear.
Probably it won't cause any mechanical issue, at least at low-mid mileage.
Main oil formulation is the same, one is thicker and other thinner eco-climatic-fuelsaver0,005%-cold'ish performance, well...
If you buyed it, go ahead and test. But think that tought shifting, if cured with D2, could be because simple old oil, poor additive properties and so on, not D2 itself. Check old oil capacity if you can when drained, low level can cause issues too or may be internals wear.
There are any documents from Ford and Toyota about their movements from thick to thin oils for gearbox and differentials. Very funny, first conclusion... wear increment, second conclusion... ok we are very intelligent and fix it with oil study and new formulation. Ok... well. Here I always think about... but ¿I need it? ¿Real pro's and con's for me (not for them)?
So it's your decision and testing.

Probably it won't cause any mechanical issue, at least at low-mid mileage.
Main oil formulation is the same, one is thicker and other thinner eco-climatic-fuelsaver0,005%-cold'ish performance, well...
If you buyed it, go ahead and test. But think that tought shifting, if cured with D2, could be because simple old oil, poor additive properties and so on, not D2 itself. Check old oil capacity if you can when drained, low level can cause issues too or may be internals wear.
There are any documents from Ford and Toyota about their movements from thick to thin oils for gearbox and differentials. Very funny, first conclusion... wear increment, second conclusion... ok we are very intelligent and fix it with oil study and new formulation. Ok... well. Here I always think about... but ¿I need it? ¿Real pro's and con's for me (not for them)?
So it's your decision and testing.
Yes, I thought Ford upgraded to a "better" oil by the time. (Like motor oils: They recommend to use "D" standard 5w-30 oil now instead of previous "C") It was the base of my choice, and also talked to people who used this and had good results. (recommended to use by local Ford service) Of course, what you say is true. Worn oil, or low oil levels can also cause problems, (so as a common mechanical problems can too, like shifter rods, cables etc). So I will check its level first and inspect the physical appearance, then drain it as much as I can and measure the amount. I will give it a try the 75FE, and if I experience anything bad then go back th 75w90.

I have done it. My car has ~170,000kms (105,000 miles) in it. The old oil looks very dark compared to the new. I could drain approximately 1.7 l out of the gearbox. According to the manual, MTX75 has 1.9 l of oil capacity. I watched many tutorials and most of the people fill the gearbox up until the oil level reach the fill hole. Oil started to flow out when it was at 1,9 liters, this means to me that the old oil level was lower by 200ml. I drove the car a good 50kms (31 miles) and didn't notice significant difference in hifting experince. Maybe when outside temperature reaches freezing point there will be some. Ford says it's a fuel efficient gearbox oil, well I will see it at the next refueling. I don't have high expectations of course, just curious.
382611821_3483748988533995_859215670505182240_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well 1,7L drained for old oil with 170k kms is very good. Level was not the reason for any shifting quality issue.
To see when really cold and next miles when oil work better.

I have a bought new 1996 Ford Contour with the MTX75. New it came with Mercon ATF, which is spec'd in the owners manual. Later on they changed the fluid to their synthetic 75W-90 MTL. I asked the dealer at the time to change the fluid and use the new Ford fluid, the dealer put in Mobil 1 ATF, said that is the correct fluid if I want synthetic 😳. I ran it for a while then used Royal Purple Synchromax. I still use it. It shifts nice and quiet and smooth, even in the dead of winter in NJ.

I have a bought new 1996 Ford Contour with the MTX75. New it came with Mercon ATF, which is spec'd in the owners manual. Later on they changed the fluid to their synthetic 75W-90 MTL. I asked the dealer at the time to change the fluid and use the new Ford fluid, the dealer put in Mobil 1 ATF, said that is the correct fluid if I want synthetic 😳. I ran it for a while then used Royal Purple Synchromax. I still use it. It shifts nice and quiet and smooth, even in the dead of winter in NJ.
MTX75 with ATF? Interesting.

MTX75 with ATF? Interesting.
They were spec'd that way here until around 2002 or so when they found some of the bushings sometimes "swelled" a bit and made the trans a bit stiff to shift. My first Focus wagon was an 07 that had been wallet flushed at quick lube places by the previous owner with only 50k km on it, and had red trans fluid in it, but still shifted fine. Then I ran the right stuff until It got smashed at 260k km, and then this Focus wagon had 220k km on it when I got it, and actually had what looks like the right fluid when I drained it. It had some white box spark plugs in it though so who knows what the previous owner put in. Probably not the $20/l ford stuff but who knows.

I used the current one they call for which is actually the DCT fluid. It shifts smoother than any manual I've ever had with that fluid.

This is what I used:

XT-11-QDC DCT fluid
Yes it's the OEM number of the D2 oil. Is your car equipped with MTX75? What year? I'm sure 2012- and on cars use D2 oil in MTX75, but I don't know if anything has changed in that transmission comparing to the pre 2012 models. If you look at the link I attached before, it clearly lists XT11QDC DCT fluid or FS (70W90) to cars from 2004 to 2012.

Yes it's the OEM number of the D2 oil. Is your car equipped with MTX75? What year? I'm sure 2012- and on cars use D2 oil in MTX75, but I don't know if anything has changed in that transmission comparing to the pre 2012 models. If you look at the link I attached before, it clearly lists XT11QDC DCT fluid or FS (70W90) to cars from 2004 to 2012.
2013 Focus with MTX75.

Back