5w30 Quaker State defy now API SN too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right. I find it incredible that we are even having to discuss this. The change just seems so unnecessary and trifling for those who just buy...oil. But for the few die-hard, who truly know what they are buying and NEED what Defy had to offer, it's a blow below the belt.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm not convinced that an ILSAC rated Defy (or MaxLife, or anything else) is going to have significantly more seal conditioning ingredients than any other ILSAC rated oil. Now, they do have significantly more marketed effort applied to the matter, but that doesn't actually do much for seals.

Defy was originally marketed for the enhanced ZDDP. And yes, there are other choices. Unfortunately for SOPUS, the path of least resistance for me would be something from XOM or Valvoline's VR-1 or something cheaper in their own lineup. Additionally, I'm not convinced I need enhanced ZDDP, either, as you mention. That being said, I don't need to spend the extra on Defy, and can revert to QSGB, PYB, or Formula Shell, since they're all interchangeable in this application, and cheaper.

I see your point. I'd like to think there's more than just a marginal difference in hmm as far as its ability to stop leaks but since you put it that way, I can't say I know it to be true or not.

Perhaps they felt the extra zddp crowd wasn't lucrative enough. Maybe a little extra zinc means the same thing to average Joe so they figured why not save some money and minimize the zinc and p.
One things for sure, so pus and Exxon and all the rest are definitely in it for the money.

Still haven't heard from them and if I don't the current fill of 10w30SL in wifes 08 Mazda 3 is the last of Defy for me. Approx 100 of the 165 k on her car is Defy Xw30 and tons of past She11 use. But when I walk down the oil isle in the future I'll show QS/SOPUS the same treatment they show me, IGNORE.

FWIW, I did run Defy for a bit thanks to shim-over-bucket Toyota lifters. But my engine runs fine on regular Chevron 5W-30. Unless SOPUS is using some kind of nano-zinc or non-P bound Zn.

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
I see your point. I'd like to think there's more than just a marginal difference in hmm as far as its ability to stop leaks but since you put it that way, I can't say I know it to be true or not.

I would hope so, too, but I don't know how much room the ILSAC limits give them off the top of my head. And that's exactly it. We don't know if it's marketing talk or if it's actually telling us something. This is the GF-5 standard, but that doesn't tell me much. Apparently, this is new to ILSAC with GF-5, but has been around for HDEOs since CH-4 and with GM on their own, according to this. Maybe Mola or someone similar will pass through and straighten this mess out.

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
Perhaps they felt the extra zddp crowd wasn't lucrative enough.

Is the ILSAC HM synthetic blend market large enough? It isn't completely about ZDDP, either. HM oils used to be a little thicker within the grade, not to mention have some extra AW content.

What I really think has been going on is that someone has been crushing caffeine tablets and dumping them in the water cooler in Shell's marketing department. They've been hyperactive, yet unfocused, for a significant period of time.
wink.gif

Note this post by Mola. I suggest he's trying to make a point, rather than ask the question because he has no knowledge in the topic.
wink.gif
Looking back, this ILSAC rated high mileage oil has annoyed be for a good deal of time.

I liked using the 5W-30 (SL) rated Defy in my 97 Honda Civic; D16Y8, 160k miles, API (SH) 5W-30 original oil spec.

I reasoned the boosted zinc was of benefit to the Solid Swinging Cam Followers found in this engine.

Likely a placebo effect, this oil seemed to quiet down the valvetrain clatter a bit better than other options I've tried in the past.

I also liked that the NOACK for Defy was over two points better than the standard QSGB, in my mind signifying a slightly better semi-synthetic base oil for only $1.50 more per 5qt. jug.

So today, I said no thank you to Defy (SN) and instead picked up two jugs of QSUD for $14.97 per jug after MIR.

Guess I'm over the HM thing.
smirk.gif

If anyone on here lives close to a KMart, they're clearing out all API SL Defy for $9/5qt jug.

Yep, big specials down there to clear it out, and the new spec! Here, they won't mark anything down to clear it out, unless they intend to actually discontinue it. The only bonus is that it might take a while to get the SN stuff.
wink.gif

Looks like you can still order Defy 10w40 on Wallys site and have it shipped to store. With 10w40 a slow mover I would bet you'd get the old stuff.
smile.gif

This is terrible news! Defy SL was my Go-To oil! I loved the stuff and I talked it up to ANYONE who would listen. I put it in my 95 Chevy Truck, my 92 Accord, my 96 Tacoma, my riding lawnmowers and racing go-karts. The oil helped the oil leaks on my 92 accord and 95 truck quite a bit.

My neighbor had a Subaru that seeped oil all over his driveway and I told him to start using it too. He said it was helping.

Bummer, I guess it's Mobil 1 High Mileage SL oil for me from now on.

Sopus has not messed with Pennzoil HM, yet anyway. A great alternative but a bit more and not the slightly higher ZDDP content though.

Yup, went to WalMart late last night after reading this post (it's a 24 hour one so didn't mind as that meant no crowds) and sure enough, all flavors were SN.

I guess I"ll need to find a new oil for my 4.0. =(

All the Defy at my local AAP is still SL/ non-RC. Of course, QS doesn't move very well in my area. As for the change, I'm over it. Still a Quaker State guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back