5w20 or 5w30 in a 07 civic ex

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use mobil 1 5w20 but it burns a lil oil. I want switch to a thicker oil to see if that helps or i might just try a diff brand of 5w20... Any thoughts I only ask cuz honda says to only use 5w20

I would try Mobil 1 0w20. No need for a 30 grade in a Honda IMO. Some Honda's use some oil.

Agree with Buster, I have ran 0/5w-20 in my Honda's with no problems. I don't think you will have any problems if you do use a 30 weight, however it's not going to be any different than the 20 weight. I have ran many different oils, Edge may be one of the better oils I have ran in my Honda, so give that a try to see if it helps with consumption. Some cars just like a little oil, no harm done.

Originally Posted By: donny939
I was leaning towards castrol edge fully synthetic 5w20

I don't believe they make Edge in 5W-20. However, their 5W-30 runs thin and would be a great fit for your Civic. I like it in my Integra so far, very quiet and smooth now. It felt smoother and more quiet than the Castrol Syntec Blend 5W-30 I had in prior to the first fill of this. It could be a placebo effect, but I've never really noticed a noise reduction when I used other more expensive synthetics expecting a lot.

Why not try another [or a few other] 5-20s?
Some are thicker than others, and your engine may simply like another for other reasons.
There is no harm going to a 5-30, and thicker oils are a standard tool for quick oil burning issues. A slight bit more drag may be felt in the engine, or maybe a tad more gas use.
Honda seems to experiment with ring tension, and oil use is not rare.

I currently use mobil 1 5w20 but it burns a lil oil. I want switch to a thicker oil to see if that helps or i might just try a diff brand of 5w20... Any thoughts I only ask cuz honda says to only use 5w20

How many miles do you have on the EX and how much oil does it use? I've got an '08 LX with 46k and it doesn't burn M1 5w-20 EP. It is all easy, long-commute, highway miles however.

Last edited:
I got a 2007 Civc EX with almost 80K miles and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. I can go 10K miles on a OCI and not add any oil.

I doubt you will see any difference in gas mileage if you try 5w30

funny thing is it neva burned oil when i used non syn but i want to use synthetic

Stick with a good conventional oil then. That civic engine will run forever on good conventional oil changed regularly.

Check the waranty is it not 60,000 miles 5 years. If so why ask for trouble?? Stay with Honda so far so good with them right????

My 06 Civic EX Coupe had 85k when I sold it to a friend and bought a 2010 same model. Used 5W-20 M1 & M1-110 filters from the first change at 5k, and then every 5k thereafter. Never touched a drop between changes. I will do the same with my 2010.

It is normal for an engine that has used conventional oil to use some when changing to synthetic, usually stops with the second change.....I'd stay with the M1 and see if the oil usage goes away after the next OC. If it's still using oil, you could try Pennzoil Platinum or Motorcraft blend, but I'd stay with 5W-20.
I like the M1 filters or WIX. Hondas are generally pussycats when it comes to oil.

Last edited:

donny939,

I'd stay with the 5W-20 oil your using and just try another brand. Your might consider Castrol "Syntec" and see what happens. I know Honda doesn't like synthetic to be used from what I've heard on this forum but any increase in MPG would be a pluus in your favor. Go ahead and try it if you feel good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back