5W-50 Synth oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
but the 2.0L I-4 F20C is not made anymore, and it's easier to spin the 2L I4's to 9k, a 5.2L V8, not that easy.
there is a lot more vibration with the increased size over 7k rpm.

Exactly. It is incorrect to assume that it’s a direct linear relationship between displacement and horsepower. All things held equal, it’s harder for a 5.2L engine to make 120HP per liter than it is a 2.0L engine to make 120HP per liter. There’s more energy lost as heat in the system. Science.

Right, and thats why I want the best oil option for my car regardless of cost.. I would pay 20.00 per quart if it was the proven
best oil for this engine.

By the way, I have searched, all auto parts stores, Walmart and amazon, I can't find Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR 5W-50

Last edited:
I'm still stuck on M1 for your engine. It's what you'd pour into a 911 GT3 RS - a 520hp 4.0L 9k RPM beast. If that excerpt posted is indeed from your manual, then there is nothing marrying you to the Ford spec. The way I read it, I take away that the grade is the most important aspect of the spec - otherwise there would be another consideration listed when using an unapproved oil. Something like, "an oil of grade 5W-50 may be used for top up, but must be changed to Ford xxx approved oil as soon as possible."

FWIW, Porsche A40 is a guarantee of performance in some of the most demanding engines on the planet - some of the most winning engines on the planet.

but the 2.0L I-4 F20C is not made anymore, and it's easier to spin the 2L I4's to 9k, a 5.2L V8, not that easy.
there is a lot more vibration with the increased size over 7k rpm.

Exactly. It is incorrect to assume that it’s a direct linear relationship between displacement and horsepower. All things held equal, it’s harder for a 5.2L engine to make 120HP per liter than it is a 2.0L engine to make 120HP per liter. There’s more energy lost as heat in the system. Science.

Right, and thats why I want the best oil option for my car regardless of cost.. I would pay 20.00 per quart if it was the proven
best oil for this engine.

By the way, I have searched, all auto parts stores, Walmart and amazon, I can't find Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR 5W-50

The Amsoil is probably your best option with the Ford spec. Easy to buy online, and you can be sure it’s a top of the line product.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I would compare some specifications between the Mobil 15w-50 and the 5w-50 too. The 15w-50 would be more shear resistant.

Maybe. On paper the oils are close, but M1 5W-50 FS X2 is A3/B4, A40, and 229.3 which are all specifications that require an oil stay in grade.

Mobil 1 5W-50 FS X2

Mobil 1 15W-50

Buddy has a 2014 Shelby SS with the 5.8L ... over 750 HP ... he runs Mobil 1 15w50 ... (assume you park in winter)
It’s the tail end of Shelby shop cars … and that 15w50 is what they said to use …
I think it’s too cheap so you want to spend lots … get the Amsoil and you will feel better … it can handle that mill all day …
Like that paint better on yours !!!

Last edited:
I'm still stuck on M1 for your engine. It's what you'd pour into a 911 GT3 RS - a 520hp 4.0L 9k RPM beast. If that excerpt posted is indeed from your manual, then there is nothing marrying you to the Ford spec. The way I read it, I take away that the grade is the most important aspect of the spec - otherwise there would be another consideration listed when using an unapproved oil. Something like, "an oil of grade 5W-50 may be used for top up, but must be changed to Ford xxx approved oil as soon as possible."

FWIW, Porsche A40 is a guarantee of performance in some of the most demanding engines on the planet - some of the most winning engines on the planet.

Sorry, not that fond of M1 (Past bad experience with M1), I love RP but from what I am finding out is that the 5.2L Voodoo engine has tight tolerances and the added ZDDP would not be beneficial and may damage the engine.

I had the First oil change this morning at Ford, I asked the tech and he said he would use M1 all day long in a coyote 5.0
but never in the 5.2 voodoo. He said the oil shears badly at high RPM and Heat. The 5.2L V8 Flat Plain crank engine generates a lot of heat from friction more so that the smaller engines. the Oil Pressure can reach 150 PSI and temps over 250.

Now after today spending 192.00 for an oil change I must say I might plan on doing them myself. I want to send samples in to
see if any changes in metals and such.

Originally Posted By: deven
Welcome back 2k05gt. I still remember this thread. One of my favorite threads ever on BITOG

Thanks, I had a lot of fun working on that, and learned alot. to bad photobucket pulled that hosting [censored], pictures were worth a thousand words for sure..
I was amazed how well my 2005 GT held up over the past 13 years, Ported and polished heads, Cams and beehive springs, 400 plus passes at the drag strip, many city and highway miles.
In May I sold it with 150,000 miles and the engine was as strong as the day I got it, did not burn oil, not issues
ever. that engine I believe if RP is used will make it to 250,000.

Last edited:

Try eBay:

Beautiful car, beautiful engine. Congrats.

My vote would be for Castrol EDGE Supercar 5W-50. You may have to order it from an international retailer (I know eBay has it), but it’s worth it in my opinion for such a precious engine. It is the official oil for the new Ford GT supercar.

[color:#FF0000][/color]

Sorry, not that fond of M1 (Past bad experience with M1), I love RP but from what I am finding out is that the 5.2L Voodoo engine has tight tolerances and the added ZDDP would not be beneficial and may damage the engine.

I had the First oil change this morning at Ford, I asked the tech and he said he would use M1 all day long in a coyote 5.0
but never in the 5.2 voodoo. He said the oil shears badly at high RPM and Heat. The 5.2L V8 Flat Plain crank engine generates a lot of heat from friction more so that the smaller engines. the Oil Pressure can reach 150 PSI and temps over 250.

Now after today spending 192.00 for an oil change I must say I might plan on doing them myself. I want to send samples in to
From what I remember reading here Motorcraft 5w-50 shears horribly. All the way down to 30 weight if you run it long enough.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Amsoil 5W-50
Does Amsoil have a "special" arrangement with Ford, and/or is this 5w50 actually WSS-M2C931-C ? Or is this the typical Amsoil "recommened for, but we never actually got a real certification" thing? This might matter to Ford warranty providers.

Castrol SuperCar 5w50 and Lucas 5w50 might be the only alternatives to Motorcaft, actually certified as meeting the spec Ford wants to see. Off warranty, or the warranty is void due to racing, then Amsoil or Redline would be good choices.

https://www.opmustang.com/store/p199/Luc...Case_of_12.html
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4482302/1

Welcome back 2k05gt. I still remember this thread. One of my favorite threads ever on BITOG

Thanks, I had a lot of fun working on that, and learned alot. to bad photobucket pulled that hosting [censored], pictures were worth a thousand words for sure..
I was amazed how well my 2005 GT held up over the past 13 years, Ported and polished heads, Cams and beehive springs, 400 plus passes at the drag strip, many city and highway miles.
In May I sold it with 150,000 miles and the engine was as strong as the day I got it, did not burn oil, not issues
ever. that engine I believe if RP is used will make it to 250,000.

It indeed is a great testament for Royal Purple. You definitely got your money's worth on that car!!

Originally Posted By: hatt

From what I remember reading here Motorcraft 5w-50 shears horribly. All the way down to 30 weight if you run it long enough.

until I find a better oil for the 5.2L VooDoo.. I will not do oil changes at 7500 mile intervals, it will be half that.
even if I do find a better oil, most likely I will continue a shorter change interval to be on the safe side.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Amsoil 5W-50
Does Amsoil have a "special" arrangement with Ford, and/or is this 5w50 actually WSS-M2C931-C ? Or is this the typical Amsoil "recommened for, but we never actually got a real certification" thing? This might matter to Ford warranty providers.

Castrol SuperCar 5w50 and Lucas 5w50 might be the only alternatives to Motorcaft, actually certified as meeting the spec Ford wants to see. Off warranty, or the warranty is void due to racing, then Amsoil or Redline would be good choices.

https://www.opmustang.com/store/p199/Luc...Case_of_12.html
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4482302/1

WSS-M2C931 is not like that. It's a material specification. https://standards.globalspec.com/std/1551945/ford-wss-m2c931-c

Quote:
Scope:

This material specification defines the minimum acceptable performance requirements and physical/chemical properties of engine oils to be used by Ford Motor Company in its worldwide engine/vehicle manufacturing and service operations.

I notice people on BITOG get a bit confused about this. Amsoil 5W-50 meets the specification. There is no "certification" and nothing in either link you provided shows those two oils as "certified". They most likely meet the spec as well, I don't know. Amsoil has facilities and test engines. Amsoil also hires labs to test as well. I am not sure why you are throwing doubt out there. Not cool.

That was a great thread!

I notice people on BITOG get a bit confused about this. Amsoil 5W-50 meets the specification. There is no "certification" and nothing in either link you provided shows those two oils as "certified". They most likely meet the spec as well, I don't know. Amsoil has facilities and test engines. Amsoil also hires labs to test as well. I am not sure why you are throwing doubt out there. Not cool.

Any confusion arises because Amsoil says:

Quote:
Use AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil in applications that require any of the following specifications

Rather than Lucas which says:

Quote:
Meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C specification

You do see the distinction right? Why not say the latter if that’s the case?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Any confusion arises because Amsoil says:

Quote:
Use AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil in applications that require any of the following specifications

Rather than Lucas which says:

Quote:
Meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C specification

You do see the distinction right? Why not say the latter if that’s the case?

Of course I do. Because Amsoil doesn't chose to. Amsoil EXCEEDS the specification. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back