5W-50 Synth oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful car, beautiful engine. Congrats.

My vote would be for Castrol EDGE Supercar 5W-50. You may have to order it from an international retailer (I know eBay has it), but it’s worth it in my opinion for such a precious engine. It is the official oil for the new Ford GT supercar.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Beautiful car, beautiful engine. Congrats.

My vote would be for Castrol EDGE Supercar 5W-50. You may have to order it from an international retailer (I know eBay has it), but it’s worth it in my opinion for such a precious engine. It is the official oil for the new Ford GT supercar.

I asked the Stealership about other oil, Castrol EDGE Supercar and Amsoil are on the List.
surprising that Mobile 1 was not, they said that it does not meet Fords specs for this engine.

it is a beautiful engine.
IMG_8302.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Mobil 1 5W-50 is also a "supercar" oil - and it's $9/quart at NAPA.

But it lacks the Ford specification, no?

Given how powerful that engine is, personally I would bite the bullet and use MC oil under warranty. Then Ford would have no excuses should something break.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Given how powerful that engine is, personally I would bite the bullet and use MC oil under warranty. Then Ford would have no excuses should something break.

I agree, with the 12:1 compression ratio and 8250 Redline, I want to maintain the warranty.
this engine produces 102 horsepower per liter of displacement naturally aspirated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2k05gt

I agree, with the 12:1 compression ratio and 8250 Redline, I want to maintain the warranty.
this engine produces 102 horsepower per liter of displacement naturally aspirated.

It's a beautiful car and I bet a thrill to drive.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Mobil 1 5W-50 is also a "supercar" oil - and it's $9/quart at NAPA.

But it lacks the Ford specification, no?

Sure.

I'd still use it though.

The S2000 has 120 hp per L with a 9000 RPM redline and it did that on dino 10/30.
If you can find a major brand oil that has the Ford cert. I'll bet you its better than the Motorcraft oil.
How does it hook up? Are the tires 295/35-19? Thats a lot of hp and tq. for the tires, we had one at the Sacramento Raceway and I think he had 335/30-19 Proxes R888R out back(don't remember what he had up front).
That GT350 was fast and nothing sounded like it, like a exotic import. People would shut off their engine so they could hear it do its pass, it's sound was hypnotic. I couldn't have one because I'd be on the gas all the time just so I could hear it make its music.

ROD

Such you know what. Any oil that meets there specs. has to be, by federal law, has to be treated as if they were using there MC oil.

Last edited:

If you read the foot note there, it appears that you could just use a 5w50 oil with an API certification mark.

Nice Ride, certainly my dream car!!

I'd stay away from any oil that doesn't meet the approved Ford Spec especially Mobil 1! The Castrol Supercar would be my choice over all others. I mean obviously money is no object and oil is no place you want to cheap out with that car!!

Originally Posted By: NH73
Such you know what. Any oil that meets there specs. has to be, by federal law, has to be treated as if they were using there MC oil.

Try English Bubba. If I spent that much on a toy, and it made that much power, under warranty, I would use the MC oil which seems to be a lot easier to locate than the Castrol Supercar oil...

It says right there in the manual excerpt that you can use an API-Certified 5W-50.

Assuming that's the OP's manual, you're right. That being said, I would still opt for a Ford spec'd oil and a Ford racing filter (not required, personal choice). I believe the M1 5W-50 has too much SAPS for it to pass Ford spec (as does the regular Castrol EDGE 5W-50 per this link).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Nice Ride, certainly my dream car!!

I'd stay away from any oil that doesn't meet the approved Ford Spec especially Mobil 1! The Castrol Supercar would be my choice over all others. I mean obviously money is no object and oil is no place you want to cheap out with that car!!

I agree, I am not worried about the price, I want the best for it, period. I prefer to do the changes myself because I have heard some stealership horror stories. Like 50% of the Front Spliters have been falling off because the installers did not install them correctly. I told the dealer to leave it in the trunk, i'll do it myself, thank you very much. that spliter cost 1600.00

Mine stayed on...
IMG_8319.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rrounds

The S2000 has 120 hp per L with a 9000 RPM redline and it did that on dino 10/30.
If you can find a major brand oil that has the Ford cert. I'll bet you its better than the Motorcraft oil.
How does it hook up? Are the tires 295/35-19? Thats a lot of hp and tq. for the tires, we had one at the Sacramento Raceway and I think he had 335/30-19 Proxes R888R out back(don't remember what he had up front).
That GT350 was fast and nothing sounded like it, like a exotic import. People would shut off their engine so they could hear it do its pass, it's sound was hypnotic. I couldn't have one because I'd be on the gas all the time just so I could hear it make its music.

ROD

but the 2.0L I-4 F20C is not made anymore, and it's easier to spin the 2L I4's to 9k, a 5.2L V8, not that easy.
there is a lot more vibration with the increased size over 7k rpm.

but the 2.0L I-4 F20C is not made anymore, and it's easier to spin the 2L I4's to 9k, a 5.2L V8, not that easy.
there is a lot more vibration with the increased size over 7k rpm.

Exactly. It is incorrect to assume that it’s a direct linear relationship between displacement and horsepower. All things held equal, it’s harder for a 5.2L engine to make 120HP per liter than it is a 2.0L engine to make 120HP per liter. There’s more energy lost as heat in the system. Science.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back