5W-50 Synth oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a 2017 Shelby GT 350 Track Pack, The engine is a 5.2L Duel overhead cam Flatplane Crank
that has a Redline of 8250 RPM and Produces 526 HP Naturally Aspirated.
Problem is that it requires 5W-50 Synthetic Oil I am having an issue finding that weight
oil. The Owners Manual states that I MUST use Motorcraft. I have seen quakerstate on the
shelf in 5w-50 but never have used them. How do I find out what oil Meets or exceeds ford specs?

IMG_8310.jpg

Last edited:
Valvoline VR1, Mobil 1. I guess you could also use some Total Quartz racing 10W50 or équivalent.
Doesn't Amsoil make a 5W50 too?

Mobil 1 5W50 carries the MB 229.3 cert, technically the "best" for some aspects of the oil...to be discussed!

Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
How do I find out what oil Meets or exceeds ford specs?

IMG_8310.jpg

Nice GT350 ...
thumbsup2.gif

Look in you owner's manual at the Ford oil spec, then look at the oils you're interested in to see if they show meeting that Ford spec.

Motorcraft maybe be the only oil that meets the Ford spec for 5W-50.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability, both in 5w-50, claim the Motorcraft specification.
Yes, if they meet the Ford spec, they certainly can be used. Remember, if you MUST use the specific manufacturer's product, they MUST provide it free of charge to you by law.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Beautiful car. When you say can't find, you mean in a store near you?

yes store near me.. I also can't find the Cartridge Filter locally. only on-line
it takes 10 qts

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability, both in 5w-50, claim the Motorcraft specification.
Yes, if they meet the Ford spec, they certainly can be used. Remember, if you MUST use the specific manufacturer's product, they MUST provide it free of charge to you by law.

Really !! I did not know that

I am sure your local Ford steelership could order the Motorcraft oil for you but for the price you could prob buy Amsoil or Redline but who knows they may cut you a deal?

umungus1122 is correct. I would contact Ford first and see if there has been any change regarding the requirement that you must use Motorcraft. If there has been no change I would call the Feds next.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I would compare some specifications between the Mobil 15w-50 and the 5w-50 too. The 15w-50 would be more shear resistant.

Maybe. On paper the oils are close, but M1 5W-50 FS X2 is A3/B4, A40, and 229.3 which are all specifications that require an oil stay in grade.

Mobil 1 5W-50 FS X2

Mobil 1 15W-50

Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
The Owners Manual states that I MUST use Motorcraft.

Can you post the part of your manual that states that?

Originally Posted By: umungus1122

This is correct. Any oil that meets the Ford spec can be used, and the warranty will remain intact if it can be proven that all maintenance has been performed at the required intervals, using manufacturer-approved parts and materials.** Keep every receipt and maintain a log book. Also I suggest you (and everyone else) find the "service history" webpage for your manufacturer and start a service history for your vehicle/VIN, if it hasn't already been started. It was very easy to find these webpages for my Chevy and Toyota, and I was happy to see a few prior entries logged already for the Toyota (I am 2nd owner).

**I first took note of this law when I learned that the Fram "OCOD" oil filters will maintain most manufacturer's warranties (it depends on the service interval because the OCOD is rated up to 5,000 miles). This means the cheap Fram oil filters are considered "equivalent" to Motorcraft, Denso, AC Delco, and all other OEM oil filters... when a 5000-mile OCI is recommended. SMH [censored]

You do not have to use Motorcraft
smile.gif

There are several good 5w50 oils out there besides MC, including:
M1 5w50
Redline 5w50
QSUD 5w50
Amalie 5w50

There is also Eneos 0w50

In fact, the Amalie 5w50 is so popular that it is sold out right now, so stock up while you can. About $83 for the case of 12.

Castrol makes a 5W-50 but I think it's geared more towards classic cars so may not have the right certifications for something that new. I'd look at Mobil 1, as long as it meets the correct specs you aren't required to use Motorcraft, that's just a Ford scare tactic to make themselves more money. Not like they can tell what brand of oil you have in it anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back