.40 cal sweet spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering getting a concealed handgun license. Even though I have owned a few previously and fired lots of different kinds, I do not currently own a handgun (I do own a .410 double barrel shotgun and a .22 rifle right now).

If I am only going to purchase 1 handgun and there is the possibility that I will carry it concealed from time to time, is a .40 cal considered a good compromise between a maybe slightly small 9mm and probably too big .45 cal? If I had no plans to carry it concealed, I would really want a .357 magnum for home protection and also shoot .38 special rounds at the range from time to time. Appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

"Too big" is limited by what you can comfortably AND accurately shoot. I LOVE the .38/.357 combination but is limited to a revolver platform (almost exclusively). However, a .40 is a fine selection with LOTS of semi-auto guns to choose from. Sorry, but my all-time favorite is the .45 ACP. Several configurations of that gun are well-suited to concealed carry, and pack a LOT OF PUNCH. But, go with what you are most comfortable shooting accurately, and practice, practice, practice, and learn, learn, learn!

I personally think a .40 is good firepower, about double the stopping power of a 9mm, and perhaps more manageable and range than a .45, or a Magnum of some kind? Just a thought.

Glock.

.40 caliber is a good size. Go to the local gun shop/range near you and try some out to see what fits your hand and shooting style. Then practice with what you do decide on and get comfortable and accurate with it.

.40 is a good balance between effectiveness and magazine capacity.

But let your intended purpose define the caliber. E.G. If I were target shooting only, I would get a 9mm over the .40...ammo is cheaper...and if I was worried about bears, it would be a large magnum...

Originally Posted By: morepwr
.40 caliber is a good size. Go to the local gun shop/range near you and try some out to see what fits your hand and shooting style. Then practice with what you do decide on and get comfortable and accurate with it.

+1

I recently took an entry level NRA handgun class for around $130. It gave me a chance to shoot a few different style and calibers. Some good things on paper - Sig Sauer E2 grips for example - didn't work out well on the range.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
.40 is a good balance between effectiveness and magazine capacity.

But let your intended purpose define the caliber. E.G. If I were target shooting only, I would get a 9mm over the .40...ammo is cheaper...and if I was worried about bears, it would be a large magnum...

So this would be a quick way to add to my small arsenal. 9mm for target practice, .40 cal for mostly concealed purposes, a hand cannon for bears; think Dessert Eagle .50 cal or similar, and a long barrel .357 magnum because I've always wanted one (and I could hog hunt with it)!
grin.gif

Actually, I used to have a really cool Ruger Mk II (i think that's what it was called) .22 cal with a 10 inch bull barrel. One of the coolest and most fun to shoot (especially at the range; hyper accurate) hand guns I ever owned. I liked that better than my Taurus .45. I wish I would not have sold that one.

I agree with the suggestions to go to a range and rent a gun. They should let you heft a few of them to see how it feels to you. As to the utility of a .40 S&W, I had the exact same thought process!! More "oomph" than a 9mm, smaller than a .45.
My personal recommendation, which I intend to carry when my permit comes through, is a Ruger SR40c. Feels good in the hand, small (the "C" means compact), and plenty of ammo choices.
The most important thing is to practice, practice and practice some more.....AS YOU FIGHT. No sense shooting at a target farther away than 7 yards, and especially at 5 yds. If your range won't let you draw, you can set the gun down (barrel down range of course!!) , turn around. If you're with someone, close your eyes, and have them tap your shoulder. You spin around, grab the gun and shoot two rounds as fast as you can. Maybe they can time you. As a extra twist, bring an assorted pack of post-it notes. Have the person put one on the target somewhere while you are not looking. You stand at the firing position until they say "GO", you turn grab the gun and shoot the post-it. How long does it take you to acquire the target and get rounds on it? I'm doing this, and it's eye-opening at how long it takes to get on target. Longer than I'd like, but not as long in objective time as it feels. You want to build your gun-handling skills without becoming stale.

Originally Posted By: Ddub

If I am only going to purchase 1 handgun and there is the possibility that I will carry it concealed from time to time, is a .40 cal considered a good compromise between a maybe slightly small 9mm and probably too big .45 cal? If I had no plans to carry it concealed, I would really want a .357 magnum for home protection and also shoot .38 special rounds at the range from time to time. Appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

If you get a .40 cal gun, you can change it to shoot 357 SIG, which is the ballistic equivalent to a 125 grain 357 magnum cartridge. The magazines are the same, and so are the slides. A common practice for Glock owners is to buy a 40, then get a 357 SIG and/or 9mm barrel. If you get a 40, it is like getting 3 guns in one. You may need a 9mm magazine to shoot 9mm cartridges: I don't know if a 40/35 sig mag will work with 9mm. The extractors on the 40 cal Glocks will still grab the 9mm base even though there is some slop. I would not use 9mm in a 40 as a defense cartridge; I would only use it for cheap practice.

I've owned a few pistols in .40 but have standardized on 9mmP. I find .40 pistols to be 'snappy' and can control and shoot 9mm better.

As far as effectiveness goes, I remain to be convinced that there is any significant difference, given quality ammunition, between 9mmP, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.

All pistols suck when compared to a rifle or shotgun.

BSW

Kinda tough to carry a 12ga in an ankle holster, but great for home defense. Even a 380 with a stack of 90 grain Hornady Critical Defense rounds will be better than nothing when the need comes....

9mm and .40, and .45 too, are similarly effective at stopping bad guys with modern quality defensive ammo. 9mm guns are cheaper to shoot, hold more rounds, and may be easier to shoot. I'd go 9mm.

.40 cal was the darling for a while but as some above mentioned it is very snappy and pricey for what it is.
A lot of guys are realizing when it comes to handgun "stopping" power there is no real difference between the 9, 40 and 45.when using good hollow point ammo.
Go with a 9mm imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back